Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, who would've thought that a few pieces of cable could have such an effect?

I hadn't seen/read any installs on a highport yet (at least not any pics)...i'm not gonna be much help with the pics either i guess...waiting for my SD card. :crosseyed

I basically hit all the main points stressed in the 'Simple Grounding Outline'. I tried to follow some other other pics but didnt use the strut mounts because the bolts were just too damn big; ended up reusing some factory ground points after a nice cleanup w/ sandpaper. One more piece of wire would have grounded the block and alternator to the chasis instead of assuming the ground off the block was good enough; wasn't too confident in that til I drove her around.

First thing I noticed was the idle, smooth as hell, didn't even notice the hole in my exhaust pipe that usually farted up a storm, pre-grounding.

Second, clean acceleration. My throttle used to bounce a lot, I assumed it was the TPS, apparently it was the lack of proper grounding! Like I said, who'd of thunk it?

Third, brighter lights! My headlights were dim, I could see some light on the floor, thats about it. I had replaced the same bulb twice, my guess was a bad ground or a short that kept burning it out. The bulb has been fine for a few months now, but with the addition of the ground kit I can actually see at night. Before it felt like there were 2 midgets strapped under the car with shoddy flashlights. Now I can actually see the headlights as I had tried to position them originally, a bit too high according to the finger that always seems to be in front of me.

The clincher was that even my gf noticed that my car "isn't running as shitty". THE WOMAN IN THE PASSENGER SEAT NOTICED!

So A+ for Mautai and his superb product. Saved me the time and hassle of ordering, measuring, cutting, taping, yeah cause I would've skimped on the heatshrink and used good ol electrical tape. :smile: Truly a service to the g20.net community, if you haven't bought one for your baby yet, you need to. Right now. Go support your DIY brethren! Well I suppose if you bought it from someone else, it ain't DIY anymore, but you get the idea. BUY BUY BUY! (I'll be expecting my commission check in the mail.)

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Cleaning the exsisting grounding points would of done the same thing :zoinks:

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
J..M said:
Cleaning the exsisting grounding points would of done the same thing :zoinks:
i actually have to disagree with that. I've installed my kit on two 02' p11's, and three 02-05 sentras. They all gained from differently from the installation of the kit. At first i wasn't too sure if a brand new car would benifit from a grounding kit, but i was wrong. Imports provide just enough to be sufficient. If a car gains from the installation of a grounding kit, it usally means the gar isn't provided with enough grounds, no matter how much you clean the connections or how new/old the car is.

Since im here i gained two noticable things with my kit. 1) bighter headlights 2) smoother accelteration.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Wow talk about fast shipping! I sent paypal for the kit last Thursday and I got it Monday, awesome!

Installed it last night. I am pretty sure I notice a difference, I had to route the wires a little differently due to the fact that I have the stock shock towers.

Heh my only downfall was I didnt have enough tools and started too late at night and it got too dark. Getting that passenger side bolt off was a major pita since I didnt have a rachet and socket that would fit in there.

My idle still dips when the AC is on hardcore and I come to a stop, BUT my lights are brighter, idle with the AC off is MUCH stonger. The car felt smoother on the highway. Very nice kit Mautai! I would buy another if I had another G20! :)

-Hadrien

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I have pretty much the same things to say as Hadrien...smoother idle is what I mainly notice. Not sure about the brightness of headlights since I did the install in the daytime and couldn't compare within a reasonable enough timeframe to notice a difference. I accidentally twisted the top of the right bolt on the intake manifold off while tightening down. I must have tightened too hard, so now I have a broken bolt stuck in there...I think it was just a grounding point anyway though, so I relocated that wire and the grounding wire to another free hole just behind and to the left of where it was before on the manifold. I also had to use different mounting points for the towers since I don't have Mep's mounts. The only place the one wire would reach was to a bolt in the firewall, so hopefully that's a good enough grounding point. Hey Martin, do you know if the grounding point on the alternator is negotiable? I mounted it to a different bolt on the alternator, because the one you mentioned in your writeup was a PITA to get to! Let me know...I may not be getting the full benefit of this kit as I have it set up right now.

Overall, two thumbs up! The kit also got to me only four days after sending payment, which was very nice.

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
Nelson said:
I accidentally twisted the top of the right bolt on the intake manifold off while tightening down. I must have tightened too hard, so now I have a broken bolt stuck in there...I think it was just a grounding point anyway though, so I relocated that wire and the grounding wire to another free hole just behind and to the left of where it was before on the manifold. I also had to use different mounting points for the towers since I don't have Mep's mounts. The only place the one wire would reach was to a bolt in the firewall, so hopefully that's a good enough grounding point. Hey Martin, do you know if the grounding point on the alternator is negotiable? I mounted it to a different bolt on the alternator, because the one you mentioned in your writeup was a PITA to get to! Let me know...I may not be getting the full benefit of this kit as I have it set up right now.

Overall, two thumbs up! The kit also got to me only four days after sending payment, which was very nice.
First, that bolt you got stuck on top of the intake manifold, there should be 2 holes right next to each other, so just ground that. A main reason i chose that grounding point is because the stock ground wires that go there are either for your injectors or your ECU.

As for the alternator bolt, its a PITA especially if your car is warm/hot so i suggest doing it in the mornign. But on the alternator, if you look down at it, there should be 1 thin ground wire attached to it with a screw/bolt. I mean if your gonna ground your vehicle, why not ground the spot where its generating all its power right? ;)

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
You are correct there, sir! I knew which one it should be grounded to, but was hoping I could get away with a diff. part of the alternator. I guess I'll go back and do it right on a day when I have more patience. It was super hot the day I was putting it on, so I just wanted to get it done. I fit the socket w/extension down there and could reach the bolt, but couldn't get enough leverage between the mani heat shield and the fan to turn the bolt enough to activate the rachet. Ugh.

·
V3.0 VE-T
3,175 Posts
Nelson said:
You are correct there, sir! I knew which one it should be grounded to, but was hoping I could get away with a diff. part of the alternator. I guess I'll go back and do it right on a day when I have more patience. It was super hot the day I was putting it on, so I just wanted to get it done. I fit the socket w/extension down there and could reach the bolt, but couldn't get enough leverage between the mani heat shield and the fan to turn the bolt enough to activate the rachet. Ugh.
yeah thats why i said its a bitch to do. haha. just take ur time on it tho, you'll get it done~

·
Registered
755 Posts
:D
Put mine in now as well. As my car have been down it's been in my basement collecting some dust, but now four of the cables are in there. The alternator one will have to wait for now, as my floor jack is somewhat destroyed :p
But yeah, I noticed the smoother idle once the battery was grounded. That was nice. Other than that, I havent really felt anything, but it doesn't matter. If it gives me bonuses I'm unaware about, that's fine with me :D
I had to use some other holes for it too. The one going from the plenum to the drivers side strut tower is a little awkwardly placed now. I'll see if I can work that into another place later on.
I have to say shipping was A+ too. Five days, from USA to Norway. Goodie good stuff :D

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Has anyone hooked this up on a highport? I can't figure out where to ground the two points on the block by the intake manifold.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
Thanks bro...I dont need pics where to ground to...just where on the intake manifold the two wires are supposed to goto...cause the pictures are obviously of a different motor and I don't see similar points...but any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
844 Posts
installed these last week and it definately smoothed out the acceleration a lot. call me crazy but i also noticed a bit more low end torque which was a nice surprise.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I got my kit in a few days ago and got it installed tonight.
I grounded the left strut tower (looking at the front) to the intake mani, and then the left strut to the ground that the alternator is on. Then the right tower to the mani, the - battery terminal, and the spot where the throttle cable bracket attaches to the right of the exhaust mani.
I may have just been paying more attention to my car, but I noticed it shifted smoother and had a little more lower end power.
All in all...def worth it!

·
Nonaggressor
2,783 Posts
How come when you guys do new grounding you don't use the original ground points?
Am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts