Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
last night i raced my friend 97 civic hatch he has intake and exhaust , I lost :*( :*(-im sorry guys, what the hell ive beaten faster cars- before i encountered my recent problems which are currently fixed, i even beat his car!! We both had a good start, mine was better i launched at 3200rpm and got like 3/4 of a car length in front of him and by the time I redlined 1st he was beside me then when i redlined 2nd he was 3/4 of a car in front of me! then I gave up. I have a sub box and amp that are 60 pounds and me Im now 310lbs but starting to lose some so I can live up to my name:) :) ,my buddy wieghs like 175 , so what the hell could be wrong with my engine ?? it kind of does feel a little slower than before
 

·
Boosted & Stanced
Joined
·
3,174 Posts
my god, quite putting sum dumb subject titles, and how did anything u say relate to the engine thread?!?!!? maybe sumthing more specific would be nice.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
644 Posts
Well honestly there is a big weight difference. I have seen some civic hatchs fly and I mean it... those cars are so lightweight, about 2200 lbs while your g20 is close to 2600 lbs. Also I guess you do weigh alot (300 lbs), so in reality you're car when racing is very close to 3000 lbs whiley the hatchback you raced was 2375lbs (car + driver). Also are you sure that your friend was riding with a stock CX or DX engine and not a B16A (SI) or B18C(GSR) engine...

Also maybe some of your engine mods are actually robbing power such as your cold air intake that you made... I read your previous posts about the intake you made and how it makes a weird noise... well some friends that I know who connected air filterchargers that weren't meant for their cars and connected it with tape have actually made their cars slower due to the inproper inbalances in the installation to the MAF
 

·
G20 Junkee
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
Just because you redline every gear doesnt necessrily mean you are gonna go FAST! Maybe you should take a lil' bit more time and learn your gear ratios a bit better before you get back into the cockpit. There are optimum shift points and I know for a fact the sr20 in a g20 gear box isn't at redline in 1st and 2nd
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
I won't touch the weight thing. :) J/K!

But, the sub box and amp will not help with performance. Especially when they are 60 lbs of extra weight.

One forum member has disagreed with this fact, and has stated the spec sheets by Nissan and Infiniti are wrong. He has rebuilt several trannies, etc. and has hands on experiance with the gears. But if you look at the gear ratios between the SE-R, NX2000, and G20, the G20 is a dog in 1st and 3rd compared to the SE-R/NX2000 gearing.

I believe that if you do some tranny swapping or gear swapping, your initial 1st, 2nd to 3rd acceleration times will increase slightly.

Check out these threads:

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=327&highlight=nx2000

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1815&highlight=nx2000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,266 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
last night i raced my friend 97 civic hatch he has intake and exhaust , I lost :*( :*(-im sorry guys, what the hell ive beaten faster cars- before i encountered my recent problems which are currently fixed, i even beat his car!! We both had a good start, mine was better i launched at 3200rpm and got like 3/4 of a car length in front of him and by the time I redlined 1st he was beside me then when i redlined 2nd he was 3/4 of a car in front of me! then I gave up. I have a sub box and amp that are 60 pounds and me Im now 310lbs but starting to lose some so I can live up to my name:) :) ,my buddy wieghs like 175 , so what the hell could be wrong with my engine ?? it kind of does feel a little slower than before
When was the last time you actually took your car to get checked out? I know that you posted a lot about engine problems, but maybe your engine doesn't really have anything wrong with it. Maybe all it needs is a tuneup or something.:surprised I'd say to take it to at least 3 good mechanics to get it looked at. As much as we on the forum want to help, unless someone actually looks and drives the car you'll be running in circles fixing anything and everything but not solving your problems.
And like others have said, a Civic hatch is a lightweight car compared to the G20. So you'd definately would have needed a lot more HP anyway to make up for the weight difference, even if your car was running at its peak.:)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
In respect to gearing, I've raced against SE-R's many times at the track (there are quite a few here in Az) and I can pull a lot of them in the higher gears. I don't think the gearing is really that big of a difference. Weight is their key advantage, IMO. A very good friend of mine has a B14 SE-R that has similar mods to my G20, we are even in first and second (or he beats me off the line- damn VLSD), but when i shift into 3rd I start to walk away from him, and this happens most everytime we would race too.
However, he has since installed a G20 ECU and can rev higher, i'm sure he'll be a little closer now, as he won't drop down quite so much when he shifts, since he can shift higher up in the rpm range.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
JustinP10 said:
(or he beats me off the line- damn VLSD)...
Huh what? How does an LSD help him off the line? Or is it slowing you down...what...?!!
 

·
G20 Junkee
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
FF Drifter said:


Huh what? How does an LSD help him off the line? Or is it slowing you down...what...?!!

If I understod him correctly I think Justin has the non LSD tranny and his friend has the LSD tranny. Therefore, Justin is at a disadvantage off the line

=)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
And how does a LSD help off the line? I thought it only helped in turns?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
FF Drifter said:
And how does a LSD help off the line? I thought it only helped in turns?

It helps the most in the turns, however I was just thinking it'd probably still help a little bit off the line, as if one wheel was to start spinning, it'd help put power to the other, where in my car that wheel would just spin, his would at least do a little to help try and "correct" the problem. I'm truthfully not sure exactly how much it helps in a straight line though?
 

·
G20 Junkee
Joined
·
2,343 Posts
To my knowledge LSD helps when one wheel rotates at a faster rate than the other. It corrects this problem or am I wrong?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
JustinP10 said:



It helps the most in the turns, however I was just thinking it'd probably still help a little bit off the line, as if one wheel was to start spinning, it'd help put power to the other, where in my car that wheel would just spin, his would at least do a little to help try and "correct" the problem. I'm truthfully not sure exactly how much it helps in a straight line though?
Oh okay, I see. Yes.

GTA_G20 said:
To my knowledge LSD helps when one wheel rotates at a faster rate than the other. It corrects this problem or am I wrong?
Yes. Okay.

Hmm. I suppose. I would think that maybe LSDs are slightly heavier, but maybe this offsets that slight uneven wheelspin between the front tires? Not that the G20 is a torque monster, but I suppose every little bit helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
my intake isnt robbing me of hp because when i got it i noticed a difference any ways my intake didnt start making a weird till 3 months later

i read some of the threads and i here stories of you guys smoking civic even si's ,sirs in canada
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
218 Posts
That's because most street racing stories are complete bullshit. The only way a stock G20 is going to beat a Civic Si in the quarter mile is if the Civic driver is blind, has a pegleg, or both. Same thing with people claiming to whip up on BMW 330's or keep up with Integra GSR's in lightly modded G's. It just doesn't happen. Street racers constantly exaggerate their wins and play down their losses so they look "cool" to their buddies.

If you're that interested in beating your friend in a race just go to the nearest quarter mile track and do it right. Then you'll know for sure the capabilities of both yourself and your car. Then, you can compare your numbers to those of other board members and see if you're really as slow as you think.

And, unless you dyno'd your car (or did some other performance tests) before and after installing that intake, you really don't know if it helped or hurt. Everyone thinks their car is faster when they install a mod. Sometimes it IS faster, sometimes you get a placebo effect.

"do you lose hp when your getting blow by and burning oil ?"
- What do you think?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
he has a stock cx engine

do you lose hp when your getting blow by and burning oil ?
Yes, I think you just found the answer to your problem. (Or at least are on the right path...)

6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
my intake isnt robbing me of hp because when i got it i noticed a difference any ways my intake didnt start making a weird till 3 months later

i read some of the threads and i here stories of you guys smoking civic even si's ,sirs in canada
When your intake started making that noise, did you lose hp?

Those people that post stories of beating certain cars may have more mods and a motor in much better tune as well. I have timeslips from when i've raced, so i can say I went XX.XX @ XX.Xmph and he went XX.XX @ XX.Xmph. By those numbers I know I beat him by ..... or he beat me by ......
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top