Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the car is in a million pieces but you can get a good idea of how things are coming along. Not much to look at now, but just you wait!

I'll be adding more as I go. Hope you like my ride.

·
Registered
130 Posts
nice build.....

·
Registered
362 Posts
in pic number one where the oil is leaking what do you call that? my car has a slight leak and i think that it is coming from thet same area in pic 1

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
So how about a pictorial how-to on the JGY LSD install ?? :)

Justin, the area shown in pic 1 is the crank front seal.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
These shots were taken last summer. I had just gotten the car and was trying to get rid of a hellish noise which I thought was the timing chain which I replaced for no reason. While I was in there, I dropped in a Highport cam. Very cool mod. The noise turned out to be the a/c compressor pulley which is being replaced along with:

Struts and springs-Tein ss on GR-2s with koni bumpstops
Pads and discs(Those calipers are stockers that I painted)
Bushings-going with prothane and energy all around
Transmission-a/t to m/t swap with a rebuilt manual
All intake gaskets(I also had the fuel injectors reconditioned)
New power steering lines and clamps
Full exhaust(going with a topspeed header, custom 2.5" piping, can't decide on the muffler yet but I like Remus)
Injen CAI going in after all the other stuff.

I'm also having a bunch of stuff polished right now so that the entire top of the motor will shine. The red VC is history. Polished now. Russell hoses will follow. After that it's wheels and tires which I have yet to decide on but I had my eye on some Konigs. I will take a few pics as soon as I get a new camers. Some asshole stole it out of my truck.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mean Green G20 said:
These shots were taken last summer. I had just gotten the car and was trying to get rid of a hellish noise which I thought was the timing chain which I replaced for no reason. While I was in there, I dropped in a Highport cam. Very cool mod. The noise turned out to be the a/c compressor pulley which is being replaced along with:

Struts and springs-Tein ss on GR-2s with koni bumpstops
Pads and discs(Those calipers are stockers that I painted)
Bushings-going with prothane and energy all around
Transmission-a/t to m/t swap with a rebuilt manual
All intake gaskets(I also had the fuel injectors reconditioned)
New power steering lines and clamps
Full exhaust(going with a topspeed header, custom 2.5" piping, can't decide on the muffler yet but I like Remus)
Injen CAI going in after all the other stuff.

I'm also having a bunch of stuff polished right now so that the entire top of the motor will shine. The red VC is history. Polished now. Russell hoses will follow. After that it's wheels and tires which I have yet to decide on but I had my eye on some Konigs. I will take a few pics as soon as I get a new camers. Some asshole stole it out of my truck.
You sound pretty knowledgeable bout this car..... since I'm a newbie....I'm gonna pick your brain for some advice and info from time to time.... if you dont mind.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
I ws gonna say auto to manuaul nd woundered wht you were doing inside the open dif tranny.
I have a spare stock vlsd and and lsd trans case. its ll thats needed to turn you open diff to vlsd.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
05YellowEVO8 said:
You sound pretty knowledgeable bout this car..... since I'm a newbie....I'm gonna pick your brain for some advice and info from time to time.... if you dont mind.
Feel free to ask me anything you want. I don't know everything but what I do know, I learned from this site. A good place to start is to go to phatg20.com and download the FSM. TONS of info. One of the lame things about the P10 is that there is not just a whole hell of alot of aftermarket parts available for them. The P11 guys have it going on when it comes to trick stuff. I think that leads the P10 guys to go back to the grass roots of tuning and make their own parts. I am thinking of laying up some carbon and making a few parts like a spark plug cover for instance. P11s could use that too. I was also toying with the idea of a P10 rear windshield spoiler which, to my knowledge, does not exist. I will have to get one for another car and cut it down and either get a mold made or try to make one myself. I think if I had the mold I could lay them up wet.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
p10det said:
I ws gonna say auto to manuaul nd woundered wht you were doing inside the open dif tranny.
I have a spare stock vlsd and and lsd trans case. its ll thats needed to turn you open diff to vlsd.
Thanks man. I opened the case to install a JGY LSD and found the old 5th gear pop-out problem. I replaced the parts that were screwed up and all the seals as well. It's like a new lsd tranny now. I cleaned it for about a day and a half and got all the old crust out of the bell housing and little nooks and crannies inside the case. I have to finish a few smaller projects and then it goes in. I think this mod will make the most difference of them all. The manual must weigh at least 100 pounds less than the auto. Also, the manual is much simpler( less crap to go wrong).

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
i to have the jgy lsd. I recently had to replace some parts in my tranny i destroyed.
I have come up with the cheapest 5th gear pop out fix. I tested the theary on my trans.
bassiclly on the balk ring and 5th input gear are needed. the worn collr peace can be fliped over and reused as new. i have measured it before and since i was in their i wanted to test that in my trans before i sudgested it.
I have nevver had the pop out it ws to test to make sure i can come up with the cheepest fix.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't need the entire 5th gear pop out kit. Just the round springs and the little pawls they retain. Cost me about 40.00 including seals.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
the 2 spring snd the little shims in the hub? i wounder what happened to them. Not the usual problem. you sure you did not just lift the hub up nd shoot the little shims out when removeing stacks. if so you could have just reinstalled after removeing snap ring nd washer at the top of the imput shaft

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It was strange. You may be right. I only found two of the pawls and the springs were chewed up a little. The collar piece was a litlle marred but I don't think it needed changing yet. I did not know you could flip it over.

·
drunken master
10,091 Posts
not to many people thought of fliping it that is why i did and put it to the test. Now it is 100% confirmed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Mean Green G20 said:
Feel free to ask me anything you want. I don't know everything but what I do know, I learned from this site. A good place to start is to go to phatg20.com and download the FSM. TONS of info. One of the lame things about the P10 is that there is not just a whole hell of alot of aftermarket parts available for them. The P11 guys have it going on when it comes to trick stuff. I think that leads the P10 guys to go back to the grass roots of tuning and make their own parts. I am thinking of laying up some carbon and making a few parts like a spark plug cover for instance. P11s could use that too. I was also toying with the idea of a P10 rear windshield spoiler which, to my knowledge, does not exist. I will have to get one for another car and cut it down and either get a mold made or try to make one myself. I think if I had the mold I could lay them up wet.
Thanks for being willing to help....right now, I'm just going over the car and getting the maintenance and everything up to my standards...... but anyhow sorry for the OT question but where in Dallas are you? I go there every 4-5 months to visit friends and to chill out. I have friends in Carrolton, Murphy, and Arlington.....
I've always wanted to visit Fort Worth and check out the stock yards but havent had a full day to make that trip yet....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts