Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep on hearing a metal vibration noise (metal on metal) from the bottom of the car. I put it on jacks today, and checked out the bottom of the car, tightened all the nuts and bolts around the cat, header and DP. But the sound feels like its inside the catalytic converter, i've done some research and everybody says a bad cat doesnt make any noise at all, so i don't know what to think.

Also, when push around the cat i hear that noise, but like i said, it feels like its inside the cat...

any sugestions???

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
hey bro, someone todl me other day that there is ceramic in there?? I have never opened one, and dont really know, but if there is, I suppose it is breakable...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Check to make sure all of the heat shields under the car are secure. Also, check to make sure that the brake backing shields are not rubbing on the brake discs. This happens often if they are bent while working on wheels, brakes or front end.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
on another car i worked on, I had a sound coming from the cat though it was perfectly secure (no hooks were broken or anything) on inspection. Took it to an exhaust shop and they told me that the cat actually has something like a big honey comb on the inside that filters the exhaust and that whole thing can come loose inside of the cat and make that noise. I replaced the cat and it was fine from there on...

just a thought...

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
The big honeycomb part is the actual platinum or palladium catalyst. When cats first came out in the mid seventies, they were beads.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah guys, we're talking about a 14 year old cat for all i know, im thinking something inside it rusted and came loose, who knows...

I'll make sure i check those things jjacob...however i did run into the problem with the brake shields and i slightly bent them back, so i kno thats not it...guess im just gonna have to take it to the muffler guy!

·
Registered
588 Posts
could be motor mounts also..had that problem in the past. shake your CAt also

1 - 9 of 9 Posts