Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to drive in yesterday's snowstorm. On highway, car runs great. Once in town, lots of slow traffic, had to slow down to 5-15 km/h, driving for about an hour in 1st and 2nd gear at low speed. Heavy snowfall, lots of snow on the road. My first snowstorm since I own the G.
Then I started to notice that when accelerating from about 2000 rpm or less, in 1st or 2nd gear, the engine was cutting out or misfiring. Once above 3000 rpm or so it was pulling normally (due to the traffic I couldn't rev much more than 3000-3500 and for brief periods).
At constant speed everyting seemed fine. It acted only under moderate acceleration. The engine idled fine, and never completely cut off, and was running smooth otherwise.

I got out of traffic for the last 10 km or so before I reached my destination (the airport), where I was able to drive a bit faster (70-80 km/h), and the engine now seemed to accelerate normally, with a constant and smooth pull, no cutting or bucking.

It felt like frozen gas line (happend to me a couple times, but on older carburated cars). In any case, once I got to destination I poured a bottle of gas line antifreeze in the tank.

I haven't driven the car since, I'll be driving it tonight.

Another possible cause could be snow entering the engine compartment, causing humidity on the ignition system and misfire.

Any ideas or similar experience?

Carl
99t

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I think you have it covered pretty good. I would also ask when was the last time you changed your plugs, cap and rotor, and wires.
Wouldn't hurt to check the air cleaner either.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The air cleaner has been replaced lately. Plugs, cap and rotor have probably never been replaced. The car has just over 50k miles.

(Edit) And it runs pefectly, like if nothing ever happened.

Thanks

Carl

·
Registered
462 Posts
May be change the plugs but just check the resistence on cap and rotor, and wire sets to be sure. I assume the car is 99? so plugs should be changed after 7-8 years.

I would try to see if adding antifreez had fixed the problem. You don't have any engine codes do you?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No codes. It's running perfectly now, not sure if the alcool did it or if the ignition system simply dried out.
There is a sticker in the engine compartment that says 'platinum plugs - replace every 96000 km' or something like that. The car doesn't have that much mileage yet, so I figured the plug are still good. Now it's like -20 outside, if it ever warms up a bit I'll look at the wires. Might also be a cracked distributor or something like that. And I'll try to spray some WD40 on the ignition components before the next snow fall (gee, last time I did that was on my 1980 Plymouth with the 318ci. You'd spit on the ground near the car and it wouldn't start because of the humidity).

Thanks for your imput.

Carl

1 - 5 of 5 Posts