Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my wastegate has been whistling and all of a sudden my car sounds like it has no muffler. Upon further inspection I find that 3 of the 4 nuts holding my turbo onto my exhaust manifold are missing. And the fourth is just finger tight! There's about 1/16-1/8" gap between the two mating surfaces and you can see the gasket vibrating around. What the hell do I do now? I think it all has to come out in order to fix it. There isn't any room in there at all! This is my only vehicle and I have to drive my daughter around everyday. Any suggestions on where to go in CT to get this fixed? Should I not drive the vehicle at all? I drive around 150 miles aday! Any input is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
just go to home depot and get some nuts. They should be a common measurement like 8mm or 6mm in metric. They have all teh nuts in these drawers next to the hardware section. Best of luck to you. And you might wanna put some thread lock on them while you're at it

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
You may need to remove the turbo to fix it. The same thing happened to me with my old turbo car.

You really need to get the plates that lock the nuts or they may just rattle loose again. You can get them from the dealership if you ask for the one that go to the 300zx turbo. I would also get the turbo gasket for the 300zx from the dealer and replace that while your in there.

You can see the plates in this picture:

They go on the turbo side and you slide them on before the nuts. Then when the nuts are tight you just bend the tabs down and they don't rattle loose any more.

Loctite will not work as it will just burn off.

Mike

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Hmm 280 sound a bit low. Doesn't the exhaust at the manifold get in the 300-400deg range? Or am I crazy?

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
yeah, I was thinking engine temp.... I've used it for my exhaust, works fine but then again I don't have as much vibration as you turbo people...

·
Registered
42 Posts
A turbo manifold gets a hell of a lot hotter than just 300-400 degrees F.. they can push well over 1000F. As for bolts/studs/nuts goto ace hardware and get grade 8 bolts/nuts nothing less!

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There is no way possible to get any nuts on with the manifold still attachted to the vehicle. I might be able to get 2 maybe 3 tops. But def not all 4. And I won't be able to tighten them all the way. It all has to come out! I am going to need a new exhaust manifold gasket and the one between the mani and turbo. Anyone know any part numbers or can point me in the right direction. Any help is apprecaited.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
robkris8079 said:
It all has to come out! I am going to need a new exhaust manifold gasket and the one between the mani and turbo.
Yup it sucks but it is near impossible to get them tight on the car. Check my previous post about the gaskets. I don't have any part numbers but the dealer should be able to order them for you.

·
Registered
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I just ask for the turbo gasket and locking plate for a 300zx? What year? 90-96? Any suggestion on manifold gasket? Just a stocker or what? Trying to get parts by mon or tues of next week.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
Any turbo year should do for the turbo to manifold gasket. I'd order the head to manifold gasket for the 2000 b15 se 2.0l. They are 3 layer metal gaskets and they are a better design.

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts