Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is any body running Mobil 1, 0w-40 any comments on this grade of oil would be helpful as i'm putting it in my ride tomorrow.
Cheers.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oil

its to late kev the mobil1 is in know mate.I dont like magnetec i think its shit cos i tried it in my p10 and it sound like the cams were gunna jump out of the rocker,so i put 5w-50 mobil 1 in that.But my old man runs 0w-40 in his t4 volvo v40 and he said that was fine and i just wanted another opinion mate.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: oil

GT UK said:
its to late kev the mobil1 is in know mate.I dont like magnetec i think its shit cos i tried it in my p10 and it sound like the cams were gunna jump out of the rocker,so i put 5w-50 mobil 1 in that.But my old man runs 0w-40 in his t4 volvo v40 and he said that was fine and i just wanted another opinion mate.
I use Mobil 1 5W50 with no problems. :)

Mobil recommends either Mobil 1 10W30 or Mobil 1 5W50 for the SR20DE.
-The 10W30 is a synthetic cleaner/dispersant oil for cleaning sludge etc and improving economy.
-The 5W50 is a performance oriented oil.
-The 0W40 oil is performance oriented.

Comparing viscosities of the three:
-10W30 has the worst cold start viscosity and best hot viscosity of the three
-5W50 has the best cold start viscosity and worst hot viscosity of the three
-0W40 has cold start viscosity almost as good as the 5W50 and hot viscosity almost as good as the 10W30.

Note: In general you want the oil thin on cold start to reach the bearings faster without getting too thin once everything is up to temperature.

So yeah, with the 0W40 you will get the best of both worlds while still being within Mobils recommended oils for the SR20DE in terms of viscosity grades. IMHO it's the best choice. I'm glad you brought it up because, having now seen the numbers, I will probably change to the 0W40 once my 20L container of 5W50 runs out.

For those who want to know more about synthetics than just mere anecdotal stuff - read this. http://members.tripod.com/ShadowDog/articles/synthetics.htm
And for Mobil recommendations and product data sheets go here:
http://www.mobil.co.nz

·
Registered
13,208 Posts
Hey guys!

I've been looking all over for 0w40 Mobil 1 for my other car and cannot find it ANYWHERE.. the best I can find is 0w30 and the manufacturer calls for 0w40 Mobil 1... The dealer wants an outrageous $10 per quart for it but seems to have a monopoly in the USA or at least my region. Anyone have a source for it? I need to buy 12 quarts!

·
Registered
453 Posts
imo... you should adjust the viscosity you use dependent on where you live... my car runs fine with 10w-30 in San Francisco...based on a 50-70F degrees range here in San Francisco...i use the Mobil1 trisynthetic...don't know what i am going to do after i run out of cases of tri-...now they have that downgraded synthetic...supersyn...they stopped the production of the tri- and use the supersyn now.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: but but...

Chris said:
doesn't anyone in the good 'ole USA know of a source for 0w40 Mobil 1 synthetic? ....0w30 that I can find won't work for me! -- the factory requires 0w40 synthetic only!

Which car is this?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: but but...

Chris said:
doesn't anyone in the good 'ole USA know of a source for 0w40 Mobil 1 synthetic? ....0w30 that I can find won't work for me! -- the factory requires 0w40 synthetic only!

Which car is this?

Also, have you thought about maybe switching over to royal purple, or another good full synthetic oil?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts