Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone knows that having two wipers will slow you down. So if you're going to build a fast car, you need to get rid of one of them.

Step 1: Need to make a new straight wiper arm
Step 2: Need to move the wiper pivot to the center of the car
Step 3: Shorten the linkages
Step 4: Adjust the sweep and park position
Step 5: Make new cowl

I'm going to update this thread as I complete things. Yeah I'm not done yet, but it isn't like I started working on this in January 2004. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 1: Make a straight wiper arm

So I haven't taken pics, which you think I would have since I done this like 3 times already but whatever.

Basically you reuse the passenger side wiper arm, except you remove the part where the wiper clips on and replace it with a straight one from the rear wiper arm off a nissan minivan. I've come up with a cool way of getting it out using a vice and a prybar. I need to make one for Charles so I'll take pics then. Then you drill and rivit the parts together and paint it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

*UPDATE! 3.5 years later I finally made another arm today for Charles.

You need:

P10 passenger side wiper arm. It is basically straight except the end piece that holds the arm is offset so the wiper is parallel to it.
Wiper arm that has a straight end, I used the rear wiper from a Nissan Axxess because it was, 1. straight for at least the part I need and 2. I assumed Nissan uses similar size stock so the inserts would be interchangeable easy enough.
Vise to hold things
Prybar
Drill, drill bits like 1/8" maybe a little bigger if you drill the hole off center and didn't remove the rivit the first go around. I wouldn't go too big though cause you'll be using a 1/8" rivit later to hold it together.
The aforementioned rivit, and whatever rivit paraphernalia needed to squish the rivit.

Stuff should look like this. Drill out the rivit that holds the end piece on the p10 arm.

Once that is drilled out, you need to put the end piece in the vise and use a prybar to gently lift the arm. It doesn't really want to come out, but be gentle or you are going to mess up the arm so bad. Baby steps. You will need to adjust the vise a million times as it comes out. Pry, move it down, pry, move it down, repeat till it is out.

P10 wiper arm apart, toss the end piece.

Next cut the straight bit off the Axxess arm. How much? Most of it. You can always make it shorter later. I was copying mine that I already figured out.

Also grab the part you don't want with the vise so you don't mess up this half either.

Toss the axxess arm. Now you are left with the straight p10 arm, with the straight axxess end piece.

How long you make the arm is up to you. I wanted it to be shorter because I have a windsheild banner I didn't want to scrape. You can't have the blade go down too far or it will hit the spring on the underside. Also depending on how far it sweeps, I don't want the end to fall off the bottom of the windsheild and hit the cowl.

Drill the endpiece. For sure use a 1/8" drill this time, or whatever size rivit you are using.

I'm not a fan of the blind rivits. It will be painted black though, so it won't look bad.

POP! Hopefully. I cheated and squished it a little bit in a press afterwards. :shhh:

All done. Paint it flat black because no matter where you park it, you will see it and don't want any extra glare.

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Step 2: Move the pivot to the center of the car

Nissan didn't put the passenger side pivot in the middle of the car. So you need to cut it off the bracket and weld a new one on. The only way it is going to work is if you cut one out of another car. You're not going to be able to remove the tack welds and move it over. You'll destroy the firewall and cowling and probably windsheild to keep the bracket on one nice piece. Then do the opposite on your car.

·
Registered
20,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Step 5: Make a new cowling

Okay the final step, or at least one of the steps that needs to be completed since I didn't really do them in order, is make a new cowling with just one hole in the middle. What I did was take the passenger side half of a RHD cowl and the passenger side half of a LHD cowl and then cut a hole in the middle. You're also going to need a second screw for the cowling, and the plastic insert that it screws into. The square hole it pops into is already in the body. I cut the cowling in half with a table saw with a fairly new blade so the cut was perfectly perpendicular and clean. Don't cut your fingers.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Reserved for snarky comment about how Colin is a ricer. :p

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
pretty welds

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's a pretty cool idea. Saves you money on wiper blades. I think the only car I've ever seen a mono-wiper on was a Jag... so props to you for being classy.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
mono wipers ARE classy

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
Subscribing....

1 - 20 of 46 Posts