Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whim of the month.

G/f always wanted a motorcycle, and I've always had it in the back of my head to get an old Harley or the like... Do any of you guys know much about them? There's a lot of bikes for sale right now in my area under a couple grand and I am really tempted to see if I can pick one up before the summer is out. I figure it'll be a neat little project for me and the g/f to have a little fun with and tinker on it together. I've stared at them before and it doesn't look all that complicated mechanically, and I figure they'd probably be pretty easy to work on since they're so small (comparitively).

What do you guys think? Is it feasible to have a good running old cruiser for under a couple grand?

I'm open to any make of bike. Hey, are the old Hondas and Yamahas metric or SAE? My tools are 99% SAE, lol... :cheeky:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
burningsquirrels said:
What do you guys think? Is it feasible to have a good running old cruiser for under a couple grand?
Yes it is...

The best time to buy a bike is in December or January. Prices are a lot cheaper...but if you can by a cheap one now, then go for it!

Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, & Kawasaki are all metric...

If you buy an older Harley, try to get one after '84. Shovelheads('65-'84) are fun bikes, but be prepared to do a top end rebuild every 25k miles...
Evolution engines are good for 100k miles if they are properly maintained..
DO NOT buy an ironhead('57-'85) sportster!!! They are not worth the time, effort & $$$ to keep them running right...If you can find a Buell S1 for cheap, you could build one of these...

Before...

After...$$$$

or,
After...$$ I really like this one! It is quick as hell! Scared the shit outta me...for a sec...:D

If you have a 3/8,7/16,1/2,5/8, 9/16, 13/16,& 3/4" sockets & combo wrenches, a large phillips & standard screwdrivers, a set of hex keys...you can do 70% of of the work needed on a Harley.

Feel free to ask me anything about bikes. If I don't know the answer, I can steer you in the right direction...Good luck w/ your decision!

Putt

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like that second bike you posted.

i had a dream last night, i was on a harley and i stopped at a red light, and some dumb chick in a white suv rear ended me and the bike fell over and crushed my leg. sh!t, lol...

it looks like they changed the frame and the seat and tank... how much is "$$$"? lol

know any good bike forums? i spoke with my old buddy tom, he thought a vintage harley, indian or triumph would be cool. he was at the antique drag session at LACR and there was a '42 harley in military green that broke out in the 18s, lol.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts