Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have found a bit through google, but any one have anythign to say. I got an awesome deal (under a 100$). I have a kiker solabaric it will be running....I hope to be impressed. This is all I could find.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
I'll be honest...i never liked MTX audio stuff. They've always been bottom end stuff, and a lot of time, their specs never really perform to what they say it can do. I have a Rockford Fosgate 700S amp for sale, 700 watts continuous, 1400w max that has performed flawlessly and has a much better rep than any MTX stuff. $175 shipped if you're interested.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dude, the 1500dx makes 850w rms @ .2% THD, and 962w rms @ 1%, your Rockford amp won't even touch it, all while drawing way more power, since the 1500dx is a class D amp.

ALL of the old school MTX Thunder series amps (black cases with gold letters) were underrated, and have specs much like that of a Phoenix gold or PPI equivalent, while usually cheaper in price.

I personally posted a 148 db with ONE 15" and an old 2300x ON THE DASH, and a 161 db outlaw, this was in a reg. cab nissan p/u with a bed cutout in a slot-loaded 4 cubic ft. ported box built out of 1.5" mdf all the way around, it was so heavy it made my already slow truck even slower. GOD was it loud, way too loud. Other guys in the area weren't as loud with 10 12's, 12 10's, 4 15's, and whatever else they wanted to try with, and I only had a stock alternator, but I did have a cap and an optima yellow top..... which I eventually killed with that amp...

BTW: You got an unbelievable deal on that amp for only $100, as it's better than a lot of amps that go for $700 in shops today..

As you can see in the chart, it's good for about a kilowatt:
http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/1500dxchts.html

This is what they had to say about it's Quality:
http://www.carsound.com/reviews/amps/1500dx.html

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
I'm saying, from my experience with people using MTX equipment, it never lasts. Overheating was always a problem for any of my friends who used their products. And its not like they were using the low end MTX amps. I'm saying, personally, I've never had my Rockford overheat EVER while pushing the two JL Audio W3V2's i have. And those hit hard when you pump it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I personally had a 225.2, which would cut off running two pairs of MB Quart components, and was birthsheeted at 650w or so RMS, so both channels driven @ 2 ohms, ear bleeding loud after 1 hr or so, and 4 5.25" speakers with 4 tiny tweeters could shut it down, but I have personally never had either of these amps shut down, EXCEPT for the 250x, which I did have problems with, but it's just a little mid's/hi's amp I was running subs with, and my buddy had that same amp on an eclipse 12 and it never shut down...

The 2300x and 1500dx have a long standing reputation for destroying subs, those are what I have the most experience with, and they're rock solid, as are a lot of RF amps, but mine was an exception, and the 2300x made the 225.2 look like a little kid on a tricycle, while they were both about the same price, right around $599 .........

BUT, the RF BD1000, that amp will torture subs to death, while never shutting down, although they do go for a pretty penny, and again, the 1500dx is around the same output. Just giving props to a good product..... Companies will always release something bad, hopefully a lot more good though.....

All in all, I don't know what your friends were using, but if you find an old MTX with a black case and gold letters that's not a 250x, buy it, but that RF you've got would be a good deal too, if I needed an amp I'd probably buy it too. Either would be a nice find.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From Review
"Performance
If the Soviet military ever produced a car audio amp, it probably would have looked a lot like this one — an uninspiring black box. Like an AK-47, the 1500DX isn’t much to look at, but the output is a real attention-getter. Aesthetics be damned, pretty amps are for losers who can’t make the juice! True beauty is relative to efficiency and output power into 2 ohms! What a philosophy. At nearly a kilowatt of output and 66.5 percent efficiency at 1/3 power, the 1500DX’s communist bloc appearance seems to change into something more like understated elegance. These numbers should be enough to make it quite attractive to any bass head. To the SPL competitor tired of trying to feed the current demands of a huge bank of class A/B amps, this puppy makes Marilyn Monroe look like Madeline Allbright."

·
Registered
796 Posts
MTX's old school stuff (2300X, 4300X, 1500DX, etc) are off the hook good. I can't speak to their newer stuff since I am using Diamond now. I remember wanting that amp. It later became the 500D, which I did get. From there the 500D became the 850D (I think). The 500D/1500DX was rated for only 500 watts of power at 2 ohms, but was putting out about 1k in power. (Killed lots of subs with the 500D before it gave up the ghost). I say good find, hopefully your solobaric is a dual 4 ohm sub, cause I don't think the 1500DX likes running in lower impedances.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I paid more than 100 dollars for my wifes 225G4 so the 1500DX is a killer deal (in my eyes).

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It came in today...I am going to test it out tomorow...wish me luk

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I wonder if the 1500DX is still powering up some subs...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts