Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My clutch is making a grinding noise when I release it (press the pedal). I know that the clutch disk is spinning but it almost sounds like it's rubbing or scrapeing. I don't think this is normal because I haven't heard it on other manual tranny cars. Just wondering, should I really worry about it and get my clutch replaced or is it nothing to really worry about? Oh, clutch pressure is normal and it engages fine (well, an ocassional slip every now and then) and it's the original stock clutch with 112K miles on it. TIA

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
It sounds like your clutch is slipping. I had my cable adjusted wrong for a little while and it caused my clutch to start making this noise, when I adjusted the cable properly it went away after a couple days. But, if your clutch is old, it might just be starting to slip. That's what it sounds like at least.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Hi Brit,yeh sounds like your clutch might be on the way out mate i suggest you get it changed before you get stranded somewere.Also got the badge today mate thanks a lot for all your help.The other thing i'm having trouble getting you a tracing for the side markers as my mate glued his in and we cant get them out sorry mate.Andy

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. Guess it's finally time for me to call ACT (Yes!).

Andy, is there anyway you could do a reverse tracing or something. Like take the wheel and the plastic wheel well molding off so you can trace the inside of the panel. Just an idea, otherwise I guess you could go to a junk yard and try and find a primera and get a tracing from that. I really need the tracing or I can't get them installed without high risk of screwing things up. I'm in no hurry, so take your time, just keep me updated on how it's going, ok mate.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Brit,

The noise you are hearing is most likely a failed throw out bearing. This bearing is only turning when you disengage the clutch (pushing the clutch pedal in). You need to get your clutch repaired ASAP. 112,000 miles on a clutch is excellent, but you can be assured that everything is shot. Replace the throw out bearing, clutch disc, and pressure plate.

John

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
release or throw out bearing. When you engage the clutch is should be a hollow kinda dried out sound grinding and when you disengage it should be quiet?

if so release bearing it is. Usually caused by lack of tranny fluid. Thats how I blew my civic tranny. I had an torn output shaft seal. GEt your seals checked and add fluid and if you are lucky the sound should vanish

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
"if so release bearing it is. Usually caused by lack of tranny fluid. "

Actually, GTA_G20, the release or throw out bearing does not run in transmission oil. It is a self sealed bearing that runs directly on the pressure plate, and is therefore outside of the transmission, in the bell housing with the clutch disc and pressure plate. I think you are thinking of the input shaft bearing which can be damaged if the oil level is too low. Checking the oil level will not solve BritCG20's problem. The throw out bearing is just at its end and needs to be replaced.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Usually when the throw out bearing goes out you're clutch starts to stick. This happened to me at least. My clutch pedal would stick when i'm trying to release it and then pop back. It's a unique sound I'll never forget, it's like side stepping the clutch and having it pop back, but it does that almost every shift :-\ BTW, I drove on that for probably a month (maybe more, i forget) while I waited for my lightened flywheel and ACT clutch to come in. You'll most likely be fine driving on it, especially if it's only a slipping clutch, it just might be sorta annoying.

BTW, I have the ACT street setup and have been very happy with it so far. Also, you may want to look into having your stock flywheel lightened... while you're in there sorta thing =)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
exactly what I had in mind.

BTW Justin, do you know where exactly and what time Kyle's wedding is? I know its on the 6th (my birthday) in LA somewhere but I don't know exactly. and how's that cv boot replacement going?

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
BritCG20 said:
exactly what I had in mind.

BTW Justin, do you know where exactly and what time Kyle's wedding is? I know its on the 6th (my birthday) in LA somewhere but I don't know exactly. and how's that cv boot replacement going?

Yeah, i have the invitation right here, I'll pm you with the info.

The cv boot I'm going to take care of this weekend, as I think it really wouldn't be a good idea to drive from Tucson to LA and back w/ an already torn boot :nervous:

For on topic info :p I got my flywheel lightened at Clutch specialties over in Ca. =)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
justin, do you think you could pm me the address and phone number of clutch specialties. This would be greatly appreciated.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts