Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had mine since June. Its a 1992 p10.

when the damn car gets to normal operating temp, it starts hesitating/skipping/sputtering between 800-2000 RPMs when you are very lightly accelerating (ie Stop and go traffice, redlights and such, driving in parking lots, I live in binghamton, NY, and stop and go traffic makes up most of my time in the car), and sometimes when you come up to a fast stop it'll act like it wants to quit, although it NEVER has quit. but when you get right on the gas, it has PLENTY of power with NO hesitationskipping/sputtering, its only when you are light on the gas. i also will add that it seems to get poor gas mileage, or at least not as good as it should.

these are the things that I myself has done to try to correct the problem.

replaced: Spark plugs w/ BOSCH Platinum +4, spark plug wires, air filter(K&N), fuel filter, run about 5 bottles of injector cleaner, advanced timing (and now i run NOTHING but 93 gas in it.)

can anyone help me out, has anyone ever had this issue, someone help, all imput is appreciated.

thanks.

josh kunkel...

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
first off, bosch spark plugs suck for these cars. i especially hate the +4's. so get some regular NGK's. secondly i think you should put the timing back to stock until you figure out the problem. next up, did you check the cap and rotor? cant hurt.

this problem really could be anything from a small vacuum leak, to a faulty maf, to a misadjusted tps. check those things first.

·
Automotive Design Concept
3,522 Posts
MAF Sensor??

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
i dunno about that EGR. i guess it could cause a low rpm stumble. when mine wasn't working it set off the CEL but i have OBD2 so i dunno. also mine hasn't been working for well over a year it and it never caused any driveability problems

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok. well i'm headed to the parts store. i will pick up some NGK plugs, ANY particular kind??? and what about MAF, if its that, what can I buy to correct it??? And if its a vacuum leak, then I should buy a few feet of rubber tubing???? Anything else I should pick up????

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I'll beat it's your spark plugs my moms expedition we put does bosch and the truc was doing that same thing u have to put NGK's

Edit: I forgot u put does to try to solve the problem. When was the las time u changed your fuel filter does make the car do that to.

Check:

Fuel Filter (if u haven't changed it recently)
Have u clean out your Fuel Injectors at autoparts stores they sale a injectors cleaner i think lucas is the best. But u can never get them ass clean ass a mechanic does it

If none of those is it get bac at me and ill tell u other stuff that might be it but i think it's your fuel filter

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I had the Bosch plat fours, in my first G20, just dropped them in. I never had a single issues in the two-three years I ran with them. I dont think its the plugs.

Clean the throttle body, buy some carb cleaner and get to spraying.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
^ erik you might not have had a problem but if you look on here and sr20forum you will see how many people have had problems with bosch plugs

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
StangG20 said:
^ erik you might not have had a problem but if you look on here and sr20forum you will see how many people have had problems with bosch plugs
I read those issues over and over again. im still a non believer. :p

While people were complaining... i was driving thousands of miles Va Beach, Ithaca NY every other weekend and back, at least two winters, went about three years without tunning up after too. I think its all talk... Although I do use NGK now.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
normally im a non-believer of those sorts of issues also, except that i have seen the bosch problems with my own eyes. first case was my friends b13 se-r. after he dropped the plugs in the car ran like crap. ngk's made the car run good again.

second case: my friend put +4's in his mustang. car started running like crap (not immediately this time, bout a week later), so we pulled the plugs, and low and behold some of the little electrodes on the +4's were GONE

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Still a non-believer... LoL I drove too many miles on them damn plugs, the Plat 4's. Hell I even threw them in my trunk as backup. :cool:

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
And anyways NGK's are cheaper that the Bosch +4 and they are proven to be the best out of any Bosch and last longer. Just like the Bosch O2 sensor it's crap and NGK now has one and it works way better and last way longer than crappy Bosch. But to every one ther own opinion but i had this problem in our Expedition we took it to a mehanic and he said yeah never put Bosch in it they will make it run wrong and he was right once we changed them the truck ran perfect.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
But im willing to bet that this dude problem is going to be something with the fuel filter if he hasen't changed it or Injectors not clean. Because he stated that to try to solve the problm he changed all those parts so that means it was their before he put the spark plugs

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
lowproki said:
And anyways NGK's are cheaper that the Bosch +4 and they are proven to be the best out of any Bosch and last longer. Just like the Bosch O2 sensor it's crap and NGK now has one and it works way better and last way longer than crappy Bosch. But to every one ther own opinion but i had this problem in our Expedition we took it to a mehanic and he said yeah never put Bosch in it they will make it run wrong and he was right once we changed them the truck ran perfect.
Im not debating which is better, I would go with NGK factory plugs hands down. Im just stating, that I don't think the plugs are the issue here. However NGK copper plugs are cheap, so buy them when u can. =)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts