Registered
65 Posts
post pics i can access, and i'll give my opinion :smoke:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Subtle

Yea, i was going for kind of a subtle stock look, but wanted it a little different. It has the Wings West chin spoiler and then i used this :paranoid: $2.00 mesh I found at Home Depot. It was for like an 8 foot sheet, and i decided, what the heck! I saw Yahnozha cut out some stuff on his front spoiler, and i thought that might be nice. I also went ahead and did the corners by the foglights, i am going to either turn them into brake vents, or cold air intake, until i get my turbo!
The grille was really a pain though. I removed the emblem, and filled the holes and then painted it.. all myself.
Anyway, I think it has a subtle racer look without detering from the infiniti purebreed:p

·
Registered
470 Posts
Yo the spoiler grill looks dope man. That mesh was that cheap huh?

How did you go about and get that mesh into your spoiler and your foglight area? I sooo wanna do that.

Let me know if you have time ok?

Car is damn smooth. I like it. Very subtle yet very stylish.
Kind of makes you think "I know that's a G20 but what's different about it"

·
Registered
7,714 Posts
Did you cut out the hole next to your foglight for the mesh. I was thinking of cutting them out on mine so that the CAI could get air in easier. If you cut it is the fog light still secure or is it a little shakey

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks!

So how i did it. It was really pretty easy, its just getting over the fact that you are going to be cutting up your front spoiler thats the hard part.
Basically i just used two things: Very sharp skinny wire cutters, and a file.
1. Take the bumper off (duh.)
2. Start cutting. I tried to cut the cross bars off as flush as I could leaving the center vertical bar.
3. Start filing. You want to get the removed bar stubble as close to being flush with the rest of the spoiler as you can. I put masking tape all around the area (and even on the edges of the file) to prevent scratching parts of the bumper i didnt want to repaint.
4. Sand around the area you are going to repaint with 400 grit sand paper. Mask off areas, paint and blend, apply clearcoat...
Vola!

The mesh is pretty easy, just cut it out a little larger than the opening, and stick it on. I used an epoxy to glue the top into place, then i created a bracket and screwed it to the existing mounting brackets on the bottom of the bumper. A few zipties for added stability (all behind the bumper and out of view of course) and Done!

I still have little nubs where the old cross bars were, but they are smooth, and look like they are supposed to be there. The hardest part was the repainting, and i can give some tips on those who wish to attempt it on their own.

As far as the foglight openings go....
The hole I made has no effect on the stability of the foglights. They are just as secure as ever. I left support on all sides of the foglights, and they are still in there really good.
As far as how I did it... basically the same as the rest of the spoiler, just start cutting. If it gets a little jagged (as it will in the tight corners) just use a file to smooth it out again.

Hope that helps, and im more than willing to hold your hand if you want to try it too!:D

Thanks again for you comments!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanx a lot man...my weekend project hahahaha cool cool cool

I went to home depot today though but the one next to my house had no mesh.....freakin suckers.

I gotta find a place that does.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I took a look at the middle bar and its not like the other crossbars... when I say that I mean that the middle bar is hollow all the way down to the bottom of the spoiler so if you were to cut it off there would be a little gap from where the middle bar was on... I'm sure that if you are good enough with bondo you can just fill it in but then you would have to repaint the bumper which costs some money... I'm sure people have done it before.

IMO I would rather get the Stillen bumper and cut out the crossbars before painting it so that it would look like a "wide mouth" kit and that way I can still keep the original bumper intact

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmmm

Do you think its posible to remove the mid bar too? I wanted to do the same thing but the middle bar looks like shit alone IMO
Yea, i was going to do that, but because it was hollow, and not just a straight cut out, I decided to leave it. You could cut it out, and then trim the whole mouth back to make it flush with the gap from the center bar. It would be alot more work considering the tools i have:cheeky: but its worth a try. Maybe that will give me something to do tomorow:dead:

·
Registered
133 Posts
Looks great man!!

Jim

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
if i wanted to paint my front grill pearl white do i have to buy three coats or is there like one code spray paint i could use or etc..

thank you and i like the custom work done it came out pretty nice.
casual

·
Registered
129 Posts
good job...

good job on the custom grill work, I like that, you still kept the 'inifinti' look but managed to add the beefiness that you need. what spray paint did you use for the silver plate? and the mesh looks great!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.