Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.. There seemed to be a lot of debate over synthetic oil vs. regular oil. I had gone synthetic at 60K miles and decided to stay with it after my Alaska trip. Anyway, here are my observations with synthetic Castrol after 11.5K miles on the SR20DE motor in my 93.5 G20:

- no need to top off/add oil
- oil stays cleaner (I wouldn't have believed it but it does!)
- quieter engine -- seems to run easier with synthetic
- not having to do as many oil changes is a nice bonus!

All in all I feel confident that I'm doing good for the engine. I'm using Castrol 5W30 synthetic and the G20 seems to love it! go figure...

-- Do now I am a believer in synthetic!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Since I've switched to Royal Purple synthetic (instead of Mobil 1 synthetic) i've noticed a healthy increase in gas mileage. I'd like to say it was something else, as i don't believe that crap that oil improves gas mileage, but i haven't changed anything else and i've even started using the A/C, which normally hurts gas mileage, but even with the A/C on i'm still getting better mileage than when i was running no A/C. For example, just went from NW LA (Canoga Park area) to SE Phoenix (Gilbert to be exact) on one tank of gas. That's 446.2 miles on one tank =) a hair under 35mpg. That's going pretty damn quick too... averaging probably between 80-85mph (speed limit is 70 in CA, 75 in Az).

I'm only run synthetic in the car since i bought it. that's what'll keep going in too. It costs a bit more but it's worth it.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Chris said:
Hey everyone.. There seemed to be a lot of debate over synthetic oil vs. regular oil. I had gone synthetic at 60K miles and decided to stay with it after my Alaska trip. Anyway, here are my observations with synthetic Castrol after 11.5K miles on the SR20DE motor in my 93.5 G20:

- no need to top off/add oil
- oil stays cleaner (I wouldn't have believed it but it does!)
- quieter engine -- seems to run easier with synthetic
- not having to do as many oil changes is a nice bonus!

All in all I feel confident that I'm doing good for the engine. I'm using Castrol 5W30 synthetic and the G20 seems to love it! go figure...

-- Do now I am a believer in synthetic!
I myself use the Castrol 5W30 Synthetic blend, for the "added" protection.

;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Looking at this post I just had to say that I could not argee more. Since I've had my g20 its had premium fuel and mobil 1 5W-30.

§r20 man

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yup...

I did notice a bit better mileage too BUT I bought new tires and did the 60K tune up at the same time I started with the synthetic so I didn't want to make that comment since I changed a bunch of stuff at once. Glad to hear from someone else who made only that one change.

-- and my 'other half' even noticed the engine running better/quieter so I know that is related to the synthetic! (I did one more regular oil change right at the 60K marker and changed to synthetic right before my Alaska trip and noticed the engine being quieter once I got back home in my normal environment + replacing the loud exhaust that broke loose enroute to Alaska allowed me to hear the engine again -- lol)

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
I havent noticed any increase in MPG but I started using synthetic at 99K miles (im at 105K now) and I did notice during oil changes, the oil being soo much cleaner and the engine noise has been reduced a noticable ammount....Im a believer now...

·
Registered
194 Posts
Re: yup...

Chris said:
...and noticed the engine being quieter once I got back home in my normal environment...

I switched to Mobil 1 5w30 a few months ago and noticed that my engine ran quieter too. Also, I've noticed that it idles smoother as well.

All this talk about oil and none about oil filter. I've been using a Mobil 1 filter and have no complaints. For those of you already running with a synthetic filter, how long do you usually go between changes?

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well....

technically I went 11K miles but that wasn't 100% by choice and it was 95% highway miles in a 3 week period.

..but my plan is every 7500 miles for the future... especially with city driving (More harsh than highway miles)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hmmm...maybe I should switch to synthetic. I normally use Castrol GTX 5w30. But I do oil and filter changes every 2500-3000 miles religiously so I guess it may not be a big difference. My car is running very smoothly and the oil still comes out pretty amber/brown during an oil change. :p

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
i use 10w 30 mobil 1 and mobil1 filter but alot of people with the newer cars use 5w30 is 5w30 better then the 10w30 this for a midrange milleage car not new 99

·
Registered
183 Posts
Hmm, This is an interesting topic. First of all your car will rev up faster with synthetic oil because it has much less frictional resistance ( it's thinner ). The porblem that I have seen with running synthetic in one of my other cars( Integra ) is that once sometimes with higher mielage, the synthetice can leak through the older seals because it is quite a bith thinner while standard 10W30 will not leak at all. I have not yet tried to run synthetic in my G20 , but in the past I have run Valvoline, Royal Purple, Redline, and Mobil One, all were synthetic and the one I noticed that worked the best was the Royal Purple or Redline. I allways use a Nissan oil filter, It is better than almost all generic filters and only costs about a dollar more.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Synthetic here too...

I just changed to synthetic on my 95T at 75k. From the history records, this car was pretty well cared for. The DINO oil seemed to be relatively clean - not near as black as I have seen regular oil get. Anyways, I have about 3k miles on it and it looks like I JUST put it in. It is also holding right at the full line, but I do not have any history on whether this motor used oil in the past.
WARNING on the BLENDS: By law, they only need to be 1% synthetic to be called a blend. So you really don't know what you are getting, unless you can find 3rd party confirmation on your particular brand.
FILTERS: Look for the highest % Single Pass Efficiency (SPE). Fram EXTRA Guard (~$5) claims high numbers, the Mobil 1 has very high numbers ($10), Amsoil filters claim high numbers too.

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
no leaks

I didn't have any leaks before the oil change to synthetic on my g20 and I don't have any now (after 11.5K miles on synthetic).

About the Mobil 1 oil filters.... I've heard some pretty bad things about them on the Viper Club website. The basic rule I've been told is to stick with the factory oil filter for the best results and that is what I am doing!

I'm sort of lazy about frequent oil changes so I really love being able to go twice as long with synthetic!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts