Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Explain this if you can, because I can't!! My RPM needle has lost its mind! It's going coo-coo!! :confused: It keeps bouncing all over the gauge face!! :rolleyes: ... especially lately... it only stays in the red zone!! :eek: it works randomely!! it'll just bounce from 3k to 8k then back to 2k and then 5k like a freakin' mad man!! Does anyone know why? What exaclty is wrong with it? Will I need to replace it? Where is it connected..? What can I do??

Help!!

:confused: it's driving my eyes crazy!! :confused:

:square:

·
Registered
291 Posts
My tach has a very similar thing to it, it'll bounce a lot, and will stick at some points, and so on. Sometimes, it will bottom out (literally at -1000 rpm) and just stick there for a minute or so. I drive an automatic so it doesn't really matter that much for my driving, much more than being a nuisance. The car still runs fine (or at least, breaks in ways having nothing to do with that) and because the tach costs a lot of money to fix/replace, I'm just leaving it like it is.

However, if anyone has any ways of fixing this, please tell me, it'd be nice.

·
Registered
183 Posts
easiest fix is to get a whole new gauge cluster from a wrecking yard, if you're lucky, you car will also have a lot less miles on it afterwards :)

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
...miles...

Not my speedometer!! My TACHOMETER!! :mad: ... The car runs fine, it doesn't bother the performance at all... it's just a bit of a nuisance indeed... if it costs a bundle, I think I could live with it... but if there's a solution that's reasonable, I would like to know. By the way, does it cost alot to buy/install those aftermarket "Monster" tachs that you can put on your dash? Or the sleek dash-mounted ones... I think the brand VDO makes classy ones for BMW's and Mercedes... I could down that route I guess... whatever's cheaper.... :knockout:

I did have an issue with my speedometer, I had changed the clutch on my P10 and the guys kinda' busted the wire... but I had them fixe it... after a while of running without knowing how fast!! I probably didn't record a whole month and a half of mileage!! :p

He he he ... I guess if one day I choose to sell it... I could slap on the ad: 92' G20 4 Sale, Low, Low mileage!! :lol: :knockout:

·
Registered
49 Posts
do you guys have to do odometer disclosures when you sell or buy a car?

here in Wa. every time we buy, sell or buy tabs for our car we have to give the DMV our milage on our car. that way if we do turn back our odometer and try to sell it like that, the DMV knows about it.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Of course!!

Of course they control it over here!! I'm in NY for Snoopy's sake!! They don't play out here!! =) They make things extra tight and make sure people can't get away with anything easily!! DMV, The Cops, the Insurance Co. are tight like Charlie's Angels!!
Thing is... the odometer recorded on your car's title, is not exactly the same as today!! Which means... you could've unplugged the wire right after you bought the car and replug it right before you sell it to someone else and say that the car hasn't been driven all this time... ;) ... you know: "Oh, this car's been sitting in my driveway for 6 months now man, I would just start it up in the morning..." ;) ... Yeah I know... some of us have fallen for that Bull before... :lol:

·
Registered
50 Posts
speaking of odometers

just to be sure i didn't fall for that or my hasn't accidently came unpluged where exactly would you find that wire that unplugs it??

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cable can easily be found..

It's easy to locate, but to unplug it you might need to go under the car... In a P10, pop the hood, look to the top-left of the Brake's master cylinder, you'll see a thick black cable that goes into the firewall and down into the engine... I used the same hole with (the lil' rubber cap) to run my amp's 8-gauge power wire ;) It's a pretty big hole when you take the lil' rubber seal off...
You can't miss it, it's right next to the Brake master cylinder (top-left of it)!!... It might have three lil' red stripes on it... my new cable has it... don't know if the original had it... :knockout: You can also reach it from the inside of your car... just go down, behind your acceleration pedal and look up around there.. you'll see the lil' black rubber seal and the cable!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
i dont know why but i hate those damn 6" tachs. i think they make your car look like a ricer. plus i dont know why people dont know how to shift by the feel of their car....... or maybe im just an amatuer....... who knows... :-\

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You're not an amateur my son...

You speak like a pro... I taught my girl how to drive standard.. and what I first told her was: "You have to feel the car, and the engine" I don't like the "shift lights", I call them "The idiot lights" I used to own a Jetta, sweet car by the way, and it had that Shift light in it.. people would say it's cool, I hated it. No, I don't have one of these 6" Tachs (though I wanted one in my Civic, but these days are over)... I was referring to my cluster one... When you said I'd get low mileage if I was lucky, I didn't pay attention to the fact that you mentioned: "easiest fix is to get a whole new gauge cluster"... A whole new cluster huh?... I wonder what would happen if the next DMV reading was 50k less than the previous one on the car's title... :-\ mmmh... :knockout:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts