Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and this is how I have to set it for my engine to run good. I dont understand why I have to advance it so much, if I put it back to the original setting the engine pings and when the A/C comes on my idle goes up and down. I dont know exactly what my timing is set to but its all the way forward and it runs good, I feed it 89 octane gas. why is my engine like this ??????? I had to do this one day after " my intake got louder thread" that I posted--help me ???

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
When you say it is all the way forward, please ellaborate.

Is the distributor pushed all the way towards the front of the car or is it pushed all the way towards the firewall of the car?

If you pushed it completely forward to the front of the car, that is why. That is extreme retarding of timing, not advancing.

Do yourself a great big favor and buy a timing gun. Then set the timing at the factory setting of 15 degrees +/- 2. Be conservative and set it closer to the 15 degrees -2 since you've been having so many issues.

I am guessing that you were thinkning you were retarding the timing and were actually setting the timing fully advanced instead.

Let me know.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
I'm confused. You just spent $300 (CAN), and got your car back. I just read your other thread. It was fine when you got it back???

Why did you mess with the timing again?

Word of advice: DON'T MESS WITH YOUR TIMING, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO.

You already spent $300, don't make it a lot more.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the distributer is pushed all the way to the front of the car --do you think that my timing chain slipped ??? with my timing all the way forward its the only way for my car to run good

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
That just seems odd. Chain jumping is very hard to do unless you swapped cams and did it then or something.

15 degrees +/-2 is approx. left of center if you were viewing the distributor from up top looking down on the top nut. Try the proper procedure of getting the ECU into timing mode. (MAKE SURE YOU FOLLOW THIS STEP PROPERLY) Then try to set the distributor center on the bracket. Once you got it centered, tap it a very small amount to the left. That should be almost where it was from the factory.

Also, check your MAF ground wire to see if it is getting the proper reading.

If this doesn't work, I could not tell you what to do next.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Read a lot of your posts, 6'5-290, during the past few weeks – ahellavalot for someone who once claimed not to have a computer – and they make interesting reading.

Are you just trying to jerk eveybody's string here or does the 65 refer to your I.Q. (it sure ain't 290!)? Inquiring minds want (would like) to know!

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Gaz said:
Are you just trying to jerk eveybody's string here or does the 65 refer to your I.Q. (it sure ain't 290!)? Inquiring minds want (would like) to know!
6 Foot 5 Inches @ 290 pounds. But last I read, he said he was over 300 and on a diet. ;)

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
the distributer is pushed all the way to the front of the car --do you think that my timing chain slipped ??? with my timing all the way forward its the only way for my car to run good
Who did the work on your car? I'm gussing that they skipped a tooth on a cam gear.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Hate to say it 290, but you'll definately have to take it to the dealership to have a certified technician get it fixed and running right.($$$$):-\
I just can't believe that you could be having so many problems with your car after you got it fixed only a couple of weeks ago.:confused:

·
Registered
194 Posts
6'5 290lbs in a G20 said:
and this is how I have to set it for my engine to run good. I dont understand why I have to advance it so much, if I put it back to the original setting the engine pings and when the A/C comes on my idle goes up and down. I dont know exactly what my timing is set to but its all the way forward and it runs good, I feed it 89 octane gas. why is my engine like this ??????? I had to do this one day after " my intake got louder thread" that I posted--help me ???

Something doesn't add up here. If your timing is advanced as far as it will go, it won't run on 89 octane gasoline. With a SR20DE, 19 degrees is about as far as the timing can be advanced. At this point you should be running at least 93 octane in order to keep your engine from pinging. With respect to the RPMs changing when the AC turns on and off, that's normal.

The smart thing to do now is to have an authorized Infiniti mechanic look at it. Though it's uncommon, skipping a tooth on a cam gear is a possible cause for your problems. (Props to G-Forces) Either way, they'll notice that you're distributor is in the wrong position and ask you who changed your timing. Say a friend did it; it could save you some embarassment. ;)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Re: Re: My timing is advanced as far as it can go

Money G20 said:
Something doesn't add up here. If your timing is advanced as far as it will go, it won't run on 89 octane gasoline.
If you read his reply to my questions, he actually has his timing retarded as far as he can possibly set it. The distributor is turned completely toward the front of the car.

Either way, he needs to get it looked at professionally now.

·
Registered
952 Posts
so is advancing your timing a little a good or a bad thing? I have a frend wih a SE-R who did it properly with a timing gun and said he belives he got another 3 tp 6 horses from it. And he definately feels the difference. He is also running in 93 octain.:monkey:

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It's safe to run your timing at 15 degrees +/- 2 degrees. Which means, you can safely advance the timing to 17 degrees with no ill effects or retard your timing to 13 degrees safely. Some run there timing at 19 degrees, but that is just a little to severe for my tastes. And yes, you have to run a higher octane when "advancing" the timing to prevent pinging.

·
Registered
952 Posts
well if you advance your timing to 17 degrees, what octai nshould you use?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wheres the Pri owner with the 26* timing?

...And for 17* timing, you should use premium or super

·
Registered
23 Posts
contd...

aside from a couple horses.....and how realistic is the hp gain at the wheels? any improvement in torque?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Re: advanced timing...

Originally posted by 6'5" 290lb in a G20
My timing is advanced as far as it can go and this is how I have to set it for my engine to run good. I dont understand why I have to advance it so much, if I put it back to the original setting the engine pings and when the A/C comes on my idle goes up and down. I dont know exactly what my timing is set to but its all the way forward and it runs good, I feed it 89 octane gas. why is my engine like this ??????? I had to do this one day after " my intake got louder thread" that I posted--help me ???
Possibly your HT leads are transposed by 1 position where they attach to the distributor cap.

If that is the case, you can move them around 1 place in the same direction as you have moved the distributor, that should bring it back into the middle somewhere.

F.F.S. , if you are going to play with your timing, then get a timing light and follow a good procedure.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This didnt happen a few weeks ago ---this happened 4 months ago--all of a sudden over night my car started pinging and running like shit so the only way it got better was when I moved my distributer all the way forward to the front of the car and now it runs normal but I cant understand why it would do this

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It comes down to this. I would just bring it to a shop. I recall that when you had this happen, you already brought it to a shop, they supposedly fixed the problem, then it happened again. But now it sounds like you never had the timing issue looked at?

Worse case scenario is they will charge you a small service fee to atleast tell you what is wrong. Then you can decide if you want them to fix it or if you think you can fix it yourself.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts