Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think? Not the normal Konig Monsoons you're used it seeing, is it? =) I was tired of seeing everyone else with the same set of wheels, so I decided I'd do something about it. I've had the wheels at least 2.5 years now, probably closer to 3, i truthfully forget exactly when i bought them. Anyways, i figured i'd do a little to change them, and it changed them a lot. I'm really happy with how they look. What do you think?

Before: (taken from konig's website)

After: (right click and copy shortcut, then paste in browser, sorry)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yahnozha said:
Justin: Thats way cool...what did you use to do that with?? Innovative as always...props....
Thanks!
I used wheels paints by dupli-color. Ghetto I know, but I just wanted to see how they'd look, and if i like it that way, and decide to keep the rims I'll strip it and get them powdercoated. From what i hear this paint is really resistant to chips and stuff, so i may not even have to powdercoat it if I'm lucky. I used a paint adhesive promoter as a base coat, the graphite wheel paint and then a dupli-color wheel paint clearcoat. I put down 2 thin coats of the adhesive promoter, then about 4 thin coats of the paint, and then 2-3 thin coats of the clearcoat. I used the good auto tape stuff too (that was just as expensive as all the paints :confused: ) But, it turned out nice. I'm still unsure if i should paint the backside/inside of the wheel too? I havn't yet, but I'm wondering if that'll make it look better?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Good stuff there Justin! I was thinking about doing this to my stockers for the time being, just for a change. Powder coating them would have been a bit more that I'm will to pay for it, so this might be a good option. =)

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
G-Forces said:
Good stuff there Justin! I was thinking about doing this to my stockers for the time being, just for a change. Powder coating them would have been a bit more that I'm will to pay for it, so this might be a good option. =)
Yeah, i thought about powdercoating them too, but the cost of this was a lot more practical, considering i'm not sure if i'm keeping the wheels or not, once the tires run out. This way, if i decide to sell them, i'm not out the cost of the powdercoating.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jmgladden said:
I like it! I am a fan of darker wheels on lighter cars. How much did you end up spending, if you don't mind me asking?
Well, i bought more paint than i needed (2 cans) so i'll just add up what i used, and not what i bought.
What I used cost me about $25, including the good tape and stuff. I think it was about $15 for the paints and i spend about $10 for the good automotive tape (to mask of the polished lip).

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
pretty clean job! I am going to powdercoat my rims as soon as I find a place here. I don't want to paint them because I am pretty sure sooner or later, the paint will crack and peel. I am thinking either gun-metal or medium black to go with my black g.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wickedG20 said:
I don't want to paint them because I am pretty sure sooner or later, the paint will crack and peel.
This stuff is supposed to be good stuff. I painted a piece of metal i had laying around and then went at it with rocks and metal objects... it held up nicely, didn't chip off or anything. That's with the paint adhesive promoter stuff, the wheel paint, and then the wheel paint clear coat. Powdercoating will most definitely hold up better though, just costs more. I painted all the wheels for half of what it would cost for me to powdercoat one.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well guys, sorry for the poor lighting, but here's a pic of how they look on the car. The wheels don't look that dark in person, the angle of the sun really messed the pic up. They are about 50-75% of that darkness. Here's the directory of the pics.
http://www.geocities.com/justin95p10/wheels/
(may need to copy and paste the url to your browser?)

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Damn now that looks tempting. The thing is if I do paint my wheels like you did I'd have to take them to a shop and ask them to take off the wheels and they would charge me for that. ahhh, what the hell I think I am gonna try it. The question is, do you think I can paint the wheel's without taking them off the car? Did you paint the whole rim or just the front?

Also, please let me know exactly what supplies you need and where to get them.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
That looks pretty nice! I don't know of any G20's with that style and color rim. :)

So what's this dupli-color paint? Is this something that auto parts stores usually carry? I've been thinking about powdercoating my wheels white after I have the car lowered. I'd like to spray them first to see how it comes out.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK, first off, I'll get better pics tomorrow, when hopefully the lighting is better for pictures. Also, the dupli-color paints should be stocked at any autozone (I think?) or checker (where I picked mine up). I then used a spray paint adhesive; the brand is called Bulldog, this I picked up at Pepboys, from the advice of another G20 owner.

I took the wheels off the car, masked them (masked off the polished lip and the tire). You can see some of the steps in the link i provided above. http://www.geocities.com/justin95p10/wheels/
Pics 008s.jpg and 009s.jpg show part of the painting process.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
justin

just curious to how the paint is holding out?

has it chipped at all? fadded or cracked?

Im thinkin about doing it to my old TSW evo's to give to my girlfriend since they are 4x100's and dont fit the G.

Can you tell me exactly what I need and the process to do it?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Hey Justin I think we both got the same itch for different color wheels at the same time...I also just got mine painted and repolished...anyways I put up the thread and links. Damn you spent alot less than I did...I'm so jealous...but then again I don't want to mess up on painting...Anyways, looks good bro..I wanted to do gun metal myself but it would have looked way too dark on a black car..

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Im guessing you dont know how to replace your rim when you get a flat tire. its not that hard it takes like 3 minutes to take your wheel off. Loosen lugnuts, jack up car, finish unscrewing lugnuts, ba-boom your done

·
Registered
562 Posts
You know what there should be free lessons when you buy a new car. I know alot of people that don't know how to replace a flat tire. I would be dead scared to ride in a car that had the tire changed by an unexperienced person. I remember I knew a guy one time and watched him change a flat...OH MY GOD...he had the spare wheel on backwards(you know those tiny little donuts). Anyways I told him to stop and I started to show him the right way...but I was FREAKED OUT when I saw the jack point he used...he pretty much did it on the body...So I got far away from the car as I can and finished the job...I didn't say anything cuz I didn't want him to look like an ass...and I also noticed some people don't know how much to torque the nuts or the proper order to tighten them. This could be a big problem by too loose of nuts or improper mounting of rim to hub of car.

·
Registered
7,574 Posts
Speaking of that my friend just wrecked his car on the way back from a club because he and my other friend installed their springs and he didnt bolt the wheel right the triangle way, and hes wheel was knocking and he didnt know what it was well all of a sudden the wheel stripped the studs and ripped out and he went in a spin and hit a wall on the freeway. Thats sucks

1 - 20 of 20 Posts