Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After laying out $600 for car repairs, I dont have the funds or time to take my car to get dyno tuned, nor do I really care to see the numbers its making. I installed a uego and my car was reading 10.8 or lower at times, so its obviously running very rich and I only get 230 miles TOPS per tank of gas, another reason for wanting to tune it. What I need to know is how exactly to tune it so that it leans out more. There are so many functions under the "setting" and "etc" areas that I dont even know where to begin. Can any1 gimme some exact instructions or tips of what areas I need to use to lean the car out so Im running around a 13.0 or maybe even a 12.0 so once i put nitrous on I wont blow it up.

·
'Luke'
5,319 Posts
What's the specs on your car, which mods were done; need to know that first.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok cool... its a 2000 Sentra SE

mods:
obx 4-2-1 header
jwt s3r cams
cai
2 1/2" catback, no cats, dual resonator
UR 2pc pulley set

basic stuff, no internals.

if it matters, i have a wet kit and a turbo kit sitting but I just wanna get this tuned right myself before I install anything FI

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
wow i guess the lack of a catalytic converter might really screw up an ODBII car.

·
looking for a can opener
2,399 Posts
2kblackse said:
Can any1 gimme some exact instructions or tips of what areas I need to use to lean the car out so Im running around a 13.0 or maybe even a 12.0 so once i put nitrous on I wont blow it up.
1. put the safc2 down
2. put the catalytic converter back on. you're doing worse without it than you could ever do with it on. OR if you are so determined to get ever tenth of a horsepower, get your ecu tuned, so your car can actually run correctly w/o one

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
You cannot accurately tune an SAFCII w/o a dyno or wideband. However if you're blowing black smoke from the exhaust pipes, you temporarly go into your setting, and subtract about -5 through out the rpm band and see if its still rich.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well if you aren't getting any black smoke then do not mess with with the settings on the SAFCII. I guess if you want to do it, just subtract fuel until your gauge shows normal numbers...however this is very inaccurate and you will probably lose horsepower because you would be incorrectly adjusting your fuel curves. Dyno or wideband is the only way to go

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
2kblackse said:
i have a uego wideband to be doing with this, thats how I know I am running a 10.8. I dunno anyone that would tune WITHOUT a wideband, thatd be just stupid!
Amen. My suggestion on SAFC tuning would be to hop on over to sr20forum and do a little search on it. i believe Charlie2020 or whatever the hell his name is made a great post on setting up the safc II. I haven't messed with my settings in over a year and a half so I wouldn't feel comfortable giving any "advice" as my memory isn't what it used to be :nervous:

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Well alright then I thought you were working off one of those a/f gauges or whatever. But anyway, ya more info over at the sr20forums.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Are those WOT numbers ?? Does your wideband datalog ??

I haven't done it myself, but my method would be....

Do a WOT plot for the full rev range then adjust the fuel slope to bring it to the desired AFR with the SAFC-II. Then there's the closed loop to worry about too...you'd need to drive at partial throttle through the full rev range and do the same as you did for WOT.

Check on SR20forum for the LO/HI throttle % settings.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
Partial throttle should be taken care of by the ECU along with the O2 sensor but it sounds like yours is screwed up. Do you have a O2 sim ?? If it's the same as the later P11s then the rear sensor also affects the AFR.

·
Former G20 Addict
3,429 Posts
I would replace your o2 sensor and see where that leads you. If you've got a faulty o2 then it's more than likely your cause for the unusual richness you are experiencing. I'm sorry, but a 10.8 is far too rich for an NA motor, even a 12.0 would be considered too rich. If I remember correctly, isn't a 14.7 or so the ideal afr for an na car. I know that's what I was shootin' for when I was tuning my Honda way back in the day. Have you read through the manual? If not you can get it on Apexi's website if you need it. Read through there and it should sufficiently explain which function does what. Your best bet would be to do a base tune on it at WOT, get that to where you want it. Then you can run around until you can get some dyno tuning or the datalogging feature for the UEGO.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts