Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I decided to clear my tails and they were going just fine until I cam across the standard dust problem (all the orange crap left over) so I used compressed air but that didn't work 100% so I remembered reading on here that rubbing alcohol was good because it dissolved quickly. It's been 1 hour and the rubbing alcohol looks like it melted or stuck onto the plastic. It seems to be dry but is very smoky and hazy. Is this normal/ will it go away or did I screw something up? Please get back to me ASAP guys because I need to know if I need a new taillight.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yup, I'm almost positive that the plastic reacted to the rubbing alcohol and created cracks and burned the plastic. Now I have to buy a new tail light. The sad part is that I read on this forum and AF that rubbing alcohol is the easiest way to remove unreachable yellow dust. I guess someone was wrong, at my expense.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Clear your tails?

I'm not sure if I understand.

Around these parts, we clear our tails with toilet paper.

Try it, it'll feel real good.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Compressed Air didn't work? I used Compressed Air and it worked fine. It took some time, shaking and hitting, spraying, blowing and so forth and eventually all the yellow was gone. I know someone did mention rubbing alcohol, but I think I would never try that :).

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Yes you probably did mess up your lights...and I did and still do recomend the rubbing alcohol but you need to read things through.

I said to use rubbing alcohol to get the remaining water out of the lens housing. Not to clean out the dust out of the housings. There is a big difference....

Please dont blame others, I am not wrong, you just didnt read the information throughly....here it is quoted

On a similar note, I did have quite a problem with the plastic dust that was left in the housing on both this project and the headlight project. I simply washed out the plastic but was left with a lot of moisture in the housing. My dad gave me a cool trick (he was a tuner in his day with VW's) Pour denatured/rubbing alcohol into the housing, swirl it around (it mixes with the H20) pour it out and let the alcohol evaporate. Hell it workd for me, just be sure to test the plastic and make sure it doesnt react with the alcohol.
The thread

·
Registered
562 Posts
you shouldn't have drilled the rears...just crack them out....to get a preliminary hole to fit a needle nose use a screw driver or something metal rod and heat it up then melt a hole. This allows you to fit a needle nose plier in and start twisting and bits of plastic pieces will start to break off....thats what I did....and the fronts I drilled the holes to start breaking so had some dust but used water to get them out and dried it up inside by using a blow dryer on low for awhile...did it on low so I don't melt or discolor the plastic....why would alcohol do anything?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Alcohol will scratch the hell out or plastic, you might as well have used sand paper. Unfortunately there is no way to get rid of the haze because it is actually scratched into your lens.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts