Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to custom paint the interior moldings inserts silver (the modlings around the door lock on each door and the air ducks on the dashboard as well as the center councel that goes arond the radio and climate control). I have been told that the paint will fade with use, has anyone done this, or does anyone know of a silver paint which i could use on that plastic that would not fade? Any help at all would be great, i dont want to do the project if it will fade, there has got to be a solution, i just have not found one yet...if anyone can help, i would really be greatful, thanks!

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
i know there make special paint for plastic and also special interior dash paint but not quite sure where to get it. i wanna see pix when done cause i wanna do silver in mine 2. what color dash you got. i hope black

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
i've done it, did dash, the black frame around my gauges, top vents, and dash vents. i figured the color would fade a lil with age so i bought a barely brighter color than what i wanted so it would fade to my color. i have a koi paint store near my house that sells a special interior color spray by the can for 8 bucks. al you gotta do is wipe down what your gonna spray with rubbing alcohol for a lil bit (so the surface almost gets sticky) and then spray on lots of light coats till you get the look you want. make sure you let it dry for a day though cause the pressure of your fingers puttin everything back together can squish the coats.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man, have yours faded? And do you know what this special interior paint is called that i can get in a can??? but your instructions seemed real good, what color did you do and did it come out looking nice, or can you tell that someone painted it with a spray gun???? Let me know when you can man, i appreciate it, this is helping me out alot...

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
thanks man, have yours faded? And do you know what this special interior paint is called that i can get in a can??? but your instructions seemed real good, what color did you do and did it come out looking nice, or can you tell that someone painted it with a spray gun???? Let me know when you can man, i appreciate it, this is helping me out alot...
yeah, it does fade a lil so i'm glad a got a slightly brighter color. i sprayed my dash about 2 months before my vents and you could notice a difference. the paint is by SEM and it's called "COLOR COAT Flexible Coating Changes or Renews color on most flexible and rigid plastics, carpet, vinyl and velour" but the dude i bought it from said you prob. shouldn't use it to mush on carpet.

i used sailcloth white (i wish it was just a lil but darker to math my pearl white paint (it didn't fade as much as i thought it would)) and it looks profesionally done. everyone i know thinks its a colored dashkit. i used a mat finish so it looks prayed a lil (plus it was my first time) but if you get a gloss finish i doubt you could tell (and it's actuallly in a spraypaint can)

i've got the can in front of me right now so let me know if you have any other q's

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
paint

thanks again, but dam man, so it does fade? IS there a paint that wont fade for this type of application?? how did the paint fade look? But the fact that people thought it was a dash kit is real good news, cause that is exactly what i want, but if it fades in 2 months then it is not worth it, why did you go with mat finish? I want a really nice silver, do you know how glossy finish comes out?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
thanks again, but dam man, so it does fade? IS there a paint that wont fade for this type of application?? how did the paint fade look? But the fact that people thought it was a dash kit is real good news, cause that is exactly what i want, but if it fades in 2 months then it is not worth it, why did you go with mat finish? I want a really nice silver, do you know how glossy finish comes out?
i don't know if theres anything that doesn't fade but anything you get will fade over time from sittin in the sun, heat, all that. And the fade on mine doesn't look bad, the white just isn't as brite as the day i sprayed it on. i'm puttin u[ pics on sat. or sun. so i'll spray something with what i have in the can and show that and my dash and let you decide. i picked a mat on accident but i'm glad cause nothing on my dash is really shiney anymore unless i just hosed it down with armor all

i bet a glossy finish would look bad ass in a new g, damn, just make sure you take your time. if they don't sell a gloss finish, just get a gloss spray/protectant or whatever and go over the spray when it dries and that should do the job too.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
pics

pics would be great, cant wait to see, how many coats did you do and do you mean rub with rubbing alchol, until the plastic melts alittle?? Thanks again for all the info

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
nope, it just cleans everything off really well but i don't think it melts at all.

i put a light coat on, let it dry, real light, dry, for a lil while cause i found out that if you put on one thick coat real small bubbles will show up and you can't get them out unless you start over, so just a quick light spray and give it a couple minutes. AND ALSO be careful that the spray can doens't shoot out think blobs of paint. it will do it the first spray and you should spray it and shake it up till it stops.

haha (funny all this info to spray something) but also once the coat is starting to get thick(where you can't see whats under it) make sure it has time to dry so the paint doesn't run on it cause that sucks.

·
Registered
614 Posts
I've done it and more.....

Every piece on my dash and center console has been taken out, smoothed and painted. I used the same paint materials as the exterior of the car: house of kolor primer, house of kolor base, house of kolor kamilian. This has been good for a few best interior awards.

Right now, I am in the process of fiberglassing and smoothing my entire door panel and doing just the insert around the lock and handle in tan tweed. :D

For a pic, scroll to the bottom of this site:

link

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
damn, that looks pretty fukin good put up more pics whenever you can

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
nice...

that is nice man, but did it fade? If it didn't, how did you do it? I would like to do something similar but more suddle, if i can find a way to paint those plastic moldings and not have them fade that is exactly what i am looking for, and yours look professional, so please let me know and more pics too if you could, i would really appreciate it, thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts