1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Thanks in advance for helping me out.

I have a Nissan Primera P11.

The standard Head Unit has been replaced with a JVC Minidisk and CD Head Unit. It outputs 45watts per channel so I have replaced the Front speakers with some "better" ones and I'm going to leave those as they are.

What I want to do is build my own Bass box in the boot that will house 2x 12" Subs, The AMP and anything else that you tell me I need. I'm also going to do away with the rear quarter speakers and replace those with some 6x9's on the parcel shelf powered off the AMP.

OK, so heres what I need:

I figure I need a 4 channel AMP... It needs to be loud but not stupidly loud... what kind of wattage (RMS) should I be going for?

As I said, I will be building my own bass box to fit the 2 subs. Am I right in thinking that each sub needs to be boxed in a 1 cubic foot space or is that a myth....eith way, what will give me the best results.

The big burning question I really have is how to I stick it all together. I presume that the rear channel from the stereo will go to the AMP. The two subs will each have their own channel and same goes for the 6x9's..... is this the right kindof thinking. Also, What do crossovers do and do I need them and where should I stick them if i do!!!.. Sorry for knowing so little but I'm hoping one of you guys can sort me out..... Many Thanks

If you want you can reply to this or email me direct to: [email protected]

Thanks again :)

Kev

·
Registered
17 Posts
Lets start from the front back:

Unless the headunit has a seperate bass output, you will want to use the rear output. Im guessing that since its a minidisc, its a fairly new model and has RCA outputs on the back. You will want to run an RCA cable to the back for the bass (either from the bass output, or from the rear output). Now, you are correct in that you need a 4 channel amp, as you have 4 speakers you need to power. However, not all 4 channel amps are created equal. The power ratings for your rear speakers and your woofers will most likely be significantly different. Thus you need a 4 channel that has two power rating on it, like 2x150Watts + 2x50Watts. Now you also are not going to want to send the full range of frequencies to your woofers, and probably not bass to your rear speakers (this is only a problem if all channels are running off the same output from the head unit - i.e. no seperate bass output). There are several ways to do this, some 4 channel amps have two crossovers in them, some dont. As for the size of the woofer box, it depends on what brand/model woofer you are buying. Post some more info on brands and models of what you are planning to buy and I can help you with specificaly what you need, also post what head unit you have. Hope this is a start.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Man!!

sorry for the late reply but I've been hung up with stuff all week. I'll bear what you said in mind and let you know how things go..

Many Thanks

·
Registered
138 Posts
dont know if this will help but heres my suggestion...

dont worry too much about your rear deck speakers, its not really that important because its more for the people in the back. plus you'll have pretty bad sound staging, like the sounds coming from behind you, you dont watch a concert with your back turned do you? I say run the rear deck speakers off the HU, this should be plenty power for your rear speakers. replace the rears with some decent coax's, nothing too extravagant, or expensive. if anything, use the money for your rear speakers and get better components in the front, and cut your rears off completely. then get a decent 4-channel amp that has built in crossovers. for example, if you had a 50wx4 channel amp, run the front speakers stereo 50x2 with the high-pass filter on and then bridge the rear channel mono to run your subs with the low-pass filter on. this will give you good sound quality and staging, and it should be plenty loud.

as for the subs, its all depending on what you want out of it. if you get a 4channel amp with only the rear channel running the subs, theirs most likely not enough power to power an extreme sub say like 2-12 jl audio W7's, but maybe enough for a pair of 12W0's. I'd opt for maybe a single sub, say one 10 or a 12 that doesnt require too much power, but highly effecient, meaning it doesn't require a lot of power to be played loud versus a sub that just eats up power and puts nothing out. also some subs require different amounts of air space, you should really go with the manufacturers suggestions and what not. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts