Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just swapped a new auto trans into my g20 and I am leaking tranny fluid from in between the block and the transmission which I don't quite understand. Reason being is being I had the torque converter on the transmission about 1/2" deep before putting on the engine and then when putting on engine the torque plate makes up the 1/2" when bolting them together so I don't see how there would be a leak. Unless... If I overfilled it would that have caused a leak? I didn't think so but am trying to be optimistic here since I don't want to pull the friggin thing apart again :bored:

·
Registered
212 Posts
are you 100% positive thats is leaking from the housing. when the passenger side axel seal leaks it will dribble down the trans and it will appear to come the in between the block and belhousing.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright so I attempted to replace the oil pump assembly and it seemed like everything went smoothly. It seems that the oil pump slides down to within 1/8" from being flush to the trans so I can bolt it on. I am not sure if maybe because the brake bank is taught that I just need to torque the bolts down. The other concern I have is that if I try to rotate the gears they won't budge... Anyone have any suggestions or know if this is normal?

·
Registered
504 Posts
It sucks that you are going to have to pull the tranny to find and fix your leak.
Too much atf would likely be forced out the dipstick or breather valve - both external to the housing.

You replaced the tranny oil pump?
If you are certain the atf leak is from inside the bell housing then the atf oil pump is the most likely source. You might get lucky and simply slide the torque converter off and replace the o-ring on the input shaft to cure the leak.

A couple of o-rings and input shaft seal should also be renewed to stop any leaks.
Good luck. Just getting a transimission in and out is a big job.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
davemac said:
It sucks that you are going to have to pull the tranny to find and fix your leak.
Too much atf would likely be forced out the dipstick or breather valve - both external to the housing.

You replaced the tranny oil pump?
If you are certain the atf leak is from inside the bell housing then the atf oil pump is the most likely source. You might get lucky and simply slide the torque converter off and replace the o-ring on the input shaft to cure the leak.

A couple of o-rings and input shaft seal should also be renewed to stop any leaks.
Good luck. Just getting a transimission in and out is a big job.
Do you know anything about whether or not the gears are supposed to be movable when I reinstall the oil pump assembly? I am afraid that one of the gear disc thingies at the bottom of the input shaft might've gotten out of wack and that is why I cannot rotate the gears by hand.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I don't know for certain, but would think that yes you should be able to turn the oil pump by hand - at least outside the transmission. I've uploaded pages from the fsm that should allow you to check your assembly:

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What about turning the unit where the transaxles go into the tranny? I try to turn that and nothing happens. The oil pump itself is a different story I think. I am thinking tomorrow I am going to loosen the parking band to see if maybe that is what is causing the rukus.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went through all of the disassembly and assembly of the at in the fsm for the g20 and se-r and nothing states that the final drive should be able to be turned by hand but it seems that this would be a given that everything is installed properly. After further reading I may end up just pulling the reverse clutch assembly out to make sure everything is ok and the drive plates are all in place.
The only thing that seems to come to mind though after reviewing all this information is that the drive plates are all held in place by snap rings, so I shouldn't have to worry about them being damaged or being out of place and causing me not being able to turn the gear by hand on the final drive ratio.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here I thought you were chasing down an ATF leak after installing a new / used / rebuilt transmission. But, it seems you are rebuilding an auto transmission. I’ve removed and installed transmissions (manuals to replace clutch components and autos to replace a bad transmission) but never rebuilt one. The position of the gear selector will make a difference as to whether you can turn some of the transmission shafts by hand.

Do you have any reason to think the tranny you are working on has internal issues? Did it move the car or just leak?

My advice is to PM p10det with your questions. He is a certified Nissan / Infiniti tech and is your best bet to have had direct experience.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well it was a leak and in fixing that I discovered that the bearing in the oil pump assembly was bad so that led me to replacing that. Now that I am reinstalling the oil pump the gears don't turn by hand which is my concern. I know that the trans I am working on is good because I drove it around for a few days while I discovered how bad the leak was.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts