Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I bought a multimeter a few weeks ago and I do not understand the settings on the meter and I do not understand how to connect it to my TPS. I have some pics and hope you can help me figure this out.
Here is my meter:

I have it set to DCV (20) and I dont know if thats right.

I have a 95 so my TPS sensor is a little different then most and I have an automatic. I am connecting the meter to the 3 wire harness that I unplug when setting my timing. It has three wires (red, black, and white). It looks like this:
[/IMG]

So, I hooked up the black lead on the multimeter to the black wire on the harness, and the red wire from the multimeter to the red wire on the harness. With the KIOP, I got a reading of 5.1

That cant be right. What am I doing wrong here? Am I using the wrong wires, or is my TPS screwed up? I appreciate any help.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I'll post up pages from FSM, but you are essentially doing ok. You want to measure across the top (red) and middle wire (white?) on the TPS connector. You want the tps connected and the ignition key to be in "on" position. Then back probe the connector and move the throttle (grab where throttle cable is connected and move from closed to fully open. Fully closed is supposed to be .35 - .66 vdc. Then reading should rise linearly to about 4vdc fully open. To measure TPS output in fully closed position you might want to switch your multimeter to 2000 mvdc position (0-2vdc) for greater accuracy.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
You are reading the supply voltage of 5v. You need to leave it connected while measuring. The TPS' resistance will reduce that voltage.

DC 20v is correct for this application as you would exceed the 2v limit of the lower scale while testing the WOT position. You could use the lower scale for the closed position though as it's less than 2v (2000mv).

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so I want my black probe on the white wire and the red probe on the red wire? Is that what you guys are saying while leaving it CONNECTED?

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
You got it correct before, but you need to leave it connected otherwise you're not measuring the voltage after it's been affected by the resistor in the TPS.

Doesn't matter which way round the probes are, you'll just get a - on the left if they're backwards.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
perfect. Thanks Mark. I am trying to get to the bottom on an unsteady idle problem I have. I can not figure this out. Everything is tuned up and cleand out. When I went to set my timing today, I got into "timing mode", but my idle was really weird. It would fluctuate between 750 and 830 or so. I can hear the engine surging up and down. Its driving me crazy and I cant figure it out. I figured I would test the TPS. Its gotta be that or the injectors. No codes.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
As I just said in a PM, I believe (can't find much on the auto wiring) it's the white centre wire for signal, red outer wire for 5v supply and black outer wire for ground. So to measure the output, you need the ground and signal wires connected to the multimeter...

·
Registered
20,854 Posts
Nope. You test in whatever car you bring. If you pass, you are limited to cars and trucks that hold 15 people or 26,001lbs

·
Registered
8 Posts
? i have, i am trying to put a ford throttle body on my 91 g20 and i need to know witch one is the singal and witch one is the power and ground can any body help

1 - 14 of 14 Posts