Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my problem:
I turned the car off and when I tried to start it again, all I hear is a clicking sound. I had the car jump started and it started up right away. Turned the car off and tried to start it again and the clikcing sound is all I heard.
This leads me to believe that the starter is good.

The battery is 5 years old. Is this a sign of a battery that needs to be replaced? Or is it something else?

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At first I didn't realize that it actually had been 5 years. After that I went ahead and replaced the battery and the car started up right away.

3 1/2 of those years were in So Cal. I probably would have gotten 2 more years if I stayed in So Cal, instead of taking a job in Humid Hotlanta.

Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Clean connections

I see you have solved it. As a note to others that might encounter the same malfunction, make sure your battery terminals are CLEAN. That white powder stuff is not SUPPOSE to be there on the battery. Neutralize it with baking soda and water or with the battery corrosion cleaner and preserve the terminals with the battery terminal sealer (red spray). A loose connection on the starter can simulate a bad battery, also. You will also notice with a bad battery that your lights will visibly dim 50 -100% when you try to start the car. Some dimming always occurs but it is more like 20% or less.

See other post on battery life issues. I paraphrased a letter from Car & Driver magazine that talked about why some batteries last 10 years and others only 2.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts