Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've scheduled some time with a really awesome local detail to perform a full interior cleaning, paint decontamination, correction and polish, and door jamb/engine degrease.

I was talking to my mother about it and she said she had an old Corolla SR5 that was never right after having her engine cleaned. Water got into some wires with cracked casing, into the distributor, and into other parts as gaskets and seals were a bit broken down with the age of the car. The car would have problems starting, would stall out, experienced weird electrical issues, etc...

Has anyone experienced any issues after degreasing, steam cleaning, or spraying down an engine bay? I suppose the detail expert would cover the distributor, alternator, and battery. Anything else to be careful for?

Thanks

·
Registered
946 Posts
I have sprayed purple degreaser all over mine and pressure washed it like 4 times now. Haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
Do all yourself and save a boatload of money.
I agree. Plus gives you time to look her over really well.

Here is my before and after on the bay. I could have done better if I took more time. I miss this bay :(

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do all yourself and save a boatload of money.
I don't have time to do it myself and don't want to screw up my driveway with grease, oil, and chemicals.

Besides, its part of the detail package I'm purchasing and won't save me that much to eliminate it.

I'm old and lazy these days. If I'm going to spend the time, I'd prefer to install some coils or change the brakes. I don't have the patience to clean a grimy engine bay that will probably still look like shit when I'm done.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree. Plus gives you time to look her over really well.

Here is my before and after on the bay. I could have done better if I took more time. I miss this bay :(
Your before shot looks like mine except my valve cover has a quarter inch of oil dirt and grime caked all over it. I suppose I should replace the gasket before worrying about cleaning the bay.

I'd also like a new manifold heat shield and upper rad mounts. Mine are rusted to shit.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts
They know what they are doing. If any problems I'm sure they will make it right. I don't see any issues happening though.

My before really should be called a middle. Mine was just as you described but I put on a new gasket and the painted VC and took the pic. Then washed the bay and took the after pic.

·
drunken master
10,098 Posts
My engines stay fairly clean. I pressure washed the aveneir and cleaned it some before I put it in the daily even though it's a temporary transplant. I have had no time to build the DE and money for the pistons
R

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wouldn't pay to have my car detailed frequently. This is just a one time thing to get it back to where it needs to be. I'm a decent detailer, but this requires a bit more effort and skill than I am willing to put in.

After this first cleanup, I'll be handling all detailing and maintenance duties.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.