Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

New 1995 G20t owner in Los Angeles

1018 Views 5 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  ASG20t
Hello everyone, wanted to introduce myself. I am a new owner of a 1995 Infiniti G20t. My previous car was a 1999 Infiniti I30t, had a great experience with that car, and I am pumped to be working with a P10 now.

The car has been in my family from new, and has been passed on to me, so it holds a bit of sentimental value in my eyes. It is in decent cosmetic shape all things considered, but I am trying to get it back up to speed maintenance wise. It had oil changes and basic stuff done pretty regularly, but there are some things it needs. I took it to my mechanic for a once-over, and he came back with the following:

-all motor mounts
-front upper ball joints
-front struts bounce / broken bumper and boots
-front brakes shot, need pads / rotors / calipers
-steering rack excessive internal lash and torn bellows boots
-tie rod ends worn and excessive play
-valve cover gasket leak
-spark plugs and wires oil soaked

I am not super mechanically inclined, and a lot of the above are things I can't do (or don't think I can do) , so the plan for now is to go one step at a time with the mechanic. There is some cosmetic stuff that I am comfortable doing myself, or at least attempting, and a lot of it I did on my I30t:

-stereo and speakers
-antenna stuck
-visors sag
-trunk struts
-window tint

Once I work my way through the above, if I get that far and am happy with the car, I will start getting the exterior looking the way I like it. The car has 200k miles, and had a new (auto) trans put on around 30k miles ago, so it has been around the block, but I would like to get it running as well as possible and keep it on the road if I can. At this point in the car's life, I don't know if it is realistic to expect to get another 100k out of her or not, but I will give it a shot.

I have been reading up on things for the past week or so, and there is a lot of great info out there. Thank you to all who have contributed in the past, and thanks in advance for helping me with any questions I may be asking in the future.
See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Welcome to the P10 club. I suggest the P11 x-mber swap with Loco mounts. Its a nice upgrade and since you need mounts anyway the perfect time to do it.
-all motor mounts
-front upper ball joints
-front struts bounce / broken bumper and boots
-front brakes shot, need pads / rotors / calipers
-steering rack excessive internal lash and torn bellows boots
-tie rod ends worn and excessive play
-valve cover gasket leak
-spark plugs and wires oil soaked

I am not super mechanically inclined, and a lot of the above are things I can't do (or don't think I can do)
bolded red are things that require not much skill, just a bit of patience and some use of the search bar (and the proper amount of cash for quality parts) - YOU CAN DO EEETTTTTT. You said you've done trunk struts - don't be intimidated by the front setup on the g20 it's not that bad.
There is a meet sunday in the city of Orange. A big meet SD peeps comin up. You shoukd come you
Thanks for the welcome and encouragement. I hope to refresh the car mechanically and cosmetically and keep her in the family for many years.

bolded red are things that require not much skill, just a bit of patience and some use of the search bar (and the proper amount of cash for quality parts) - YOU CAN DO EEETTTTTT. You said you've done trunk struts - don't be intimidated by the front setup on the g20 it's not that bad.
You're right - I am fairly handy as a bicycle wrench, but car mechanicals do intimidate me a bit... Maybe I will try my hand at some of the front suspension and see how it goes.

There is a meet sunday in the city of Orange. A big meet SD peeps comin up. You shoukd come you
Appreciate the invite! I won't be able to be in Orange on Sunday, but hopefully can make it to a meet soon.

Also, here are some pics of the car to give you an idea of what I am working with - a stock 1995 touring model, kinda dirty, with a few issues that need sorting.

See less See more
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.