Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eh: i just bought a 95 G20t from a private seller. it ran fine when i test drove it, but the day i took it home the battery light turned on. the higher rpm the lighter the battery light. i took it to auto zone and got batt and alt test. they said not sure if it is the alt b/c they are not getting any powr from alt wire to battery. so they couldn't check alt. every once in a while bat light turns off and everything works fine, but the bat light always comes back on. any advice for new owner?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
is the car making a squelly type noise? if so check your alt belt.

just pull out your battery and see if it is charging at your local autozone, checker or Pep boys... if the battery is working, your alternator needs to be replaced...

that is about a 1.5 to 3 hour job... I have replaced 3 out of my car, and I have it down to about an hour.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have done the disconnect on battery, car died, so i need new alt. sweet. thanx bra

·
Registered
430 Posts
disconectign the battery will frie you ecm not a good idea. next time just hook a volt meter to the battery and it should read 13.8 at idle and at a lil bit of rev should read about 14.3 or so.

·
Registered
430 Posts
ehhh its just not a good idea on computer controlled engines the surge of hooking it back up or taking it off an over volt the ecu and just reak havoc and it gets baaaad and. it works on older cars from like early 80s on down but anything with a computer you may get away with it but its not something you really wanna practice.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanx all for input. i just purchased alt, let u know how it goes.hope thats it

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
randyo156 said:
never heard tat one
seen this test done a bunch of times
The reason you never disconnect the battery while the engine is running is that the alternator output will increase to a dangerous level, both for the alternator and the sensitive electronics on board. Never disconnect the battery with the engine running. Go buy a volt meter. They are cheap to buy.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thank u all. just replaced alt today. she runs perfect now. thanx for all info.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts