Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
A tamer version of this V-6, codenamed VQ37HR-TT, will make its way into the upcoming Infiniti G35 Coupe. Key differences between the engines are that the GT-R's VQ will have the twin turbo*chargers, lighter pistons and connecting rods, as well as a beefed-up crankshaft.
I thought TT meant twin turbo

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, the wording is just weird... I think they're trying to say the VQ37HR-TT in the GT-R will have the added twin turbos, lighter pistons, connecting rods, as well as beefed up crank, over the standard VQ motor in the G35...

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
It does...twin = 2

twin turbo = 2

so whats the question about?

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
Here's the real question: why is this thing being badged as a Nissan?

From a marketing standpoint, this is about the dumbest thing Nissan could do. Sure purists will scream if their beloved GT-R is badged as an Infiniti, but if they have the money they'll buy it regardless of what it says on the trunk. But there are people out there who see a car like this as a status symbol in addition to being a great driving car. These people will not look at a Nissan, but could likely be convinced to look at an Infiniti. Some people will make the "the Corvette is a Chevy and it sells" argument, but it's not really a good comparison because the Corvette name is so well known and associated with sports cars. The GT-R is not an established brand in the US, and in order to attract the executive who just got a promotion and is considering a 911, the car must be a status symbol. The Infiniti brand has luxury connotations, the Nissan brand does not.

The other reason this car should be an Infiniti is that from a service standpoint, Infiniti blows away Nissan. I wouldn't spend $70K on a car and be satisfied with Nissan dealer service. Infiniti dealers do a much better job.

The next Honda and Toyota supercars are going to be an Acura and a Lexus respectively, so I see no reason why Nissan's shouldn't be an Infiniti.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
mattb said:

From a marketing standpoint, this is about the dumbest thing Nissan could do. Sure purists will scream if their beloved GT-R is badged as an Infiniti, but if they have the money they'll buy it regardless of what it says on the trunk. But there are people out there who see a car like this as a status symbol in addition to being a great driving car. These people will not look at a Nissan, but could likely be convinced to look at an Infiniti. Some people will make the "the Corvette is a Chevy and it sells" argument, but it's not really a good comparison because the Corvette name is so well known and associated with sports cars. The GT-R is not an established brand in the US, and in order to attract the executive who just got a promotion and is considering a 911, the car must be a status symbol. The Infiniti brand has luxury connotations, the Nissan brand does not.

The other reason this car should be an Infiniti is that from a service standpoint, Infiniti blows away Nissan. I wouldn't spend $70K on a car and be satisfied with Nissan dealer service. Infiniti dealers do a much better job.

The next Honda and Toyota supercars are going to be an Acura and a Lexus respectively, so I see no reason why Nissan's shouldn't be an Infiniti.

They should hire you to head up there marketing dept!

another possibility would be to sell a more luxury version than this as a G35R-TT make it look alittle more refined, add some luxury and up the price a little closer to a 450hp porsche

·
Registered
5,889 Posts
mattb said:

SOUNDS SHALLOW BUT ITS TRUE

·
Registered
844 Posts
mattb said:

from a marketing stand point it may be a good idea to badge it as an infiniti but im glad its a nissan. its not a luxury car its an all out sports car. there are little if any luxury options. iirc it wasnt even an option to get leather on the r32, r233 or r34. its expensive because its fast and light and its full of carbon fiber, big ass brakes and a highly tuned engine. im sure nissan isnt planning on selling a ton of these so the marketing standpoint idea loses its value. you dont buy this car as an alternative to an upscale mercedes, you buy this car as a street legal race car. the people who are going to buy this car will probably care less about luxury but will be completely satisfied with sub 5 second 0-60 times, 450hp, being able to stop on the dime and the awd. if you want infiniti luxury get a q45, if you want balls to the wall performance get the new gt-r.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
apoc987 said:
from a marketing stand point it may be a good idea to badge it as an infiniti but im glad its a nissan. its not a luxury car its an all out sports car. there are little if any luxury options. iirc it wasnt even an option to get leather on the r32, r233 or r34. its expensive because its fast and light and its full of carbon fiber, big ass brakes and a highly tuned engine. im sure nissan isnt planning on selling a ton of these so the marketing standpoint idea loses its value. you dont buy this car as an alternative to an upscale mercedes, you buy this car as a street legal race car. the people who are going to buy this car will probably care less about luxury but will be completely satisfied with sub 5 second 0-60 times, 450hp, being able to stop on the dime and the awd. if you want infiniti luxury get a q45, if you want balls to the wall performance get the new gt-r.
You can add leather and luxury features while still keeping it a world-class sports car. Look at Aston Martin, they make some of the most luxurious cars out there but they also drive as well as any other exotic. Porsches have leather, Ferraris have leather, etc. The GT-Rs of the past were never intended for the American market, nor would they have been likely to be a large commercial success. Nissan needs this car to be a 911 competitor, not a niche sports car. And they'll never do that without an Infiniti badge. Very few people buy a car for it to be a street legal race car. A street legal race car version of the GT-R would be good to offer to satisfy that niche much in the same way Porsche offers 911s that are more race oriented. But the majority of people who can afford supercars don't buy them to race, they buy them for the "look at me" factor and to be noticed while they drive fast. And like I said before, Nissan service sucks and will never fly with the $70K market.

Infiniti also needs an M/AMG type division. Put the VQ37HRTT in a G or M series car, pump up the VK V8 to 500hp and build an M5-killing Y50 M class car. The chassis and handling are there and are definately capable of being competitive to the M and AMG cars. If Infiniti could provide even 90% of the M5 driving experience combined with Infiniti reliability, the Germans would have a reason to worry.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Dealership service is partly due to Nissan, but mostly is by the owners of the stealership... Some are better than others... that's just the way it is.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I wouldnt say nissan service sucks....i'd say automotive service sucks. Most shops are out there to yank ever last penny out of you they can. Hell my step dad took is ford focus to a little nothing tire shop and they gave him a list of nearly 1k that they said his car needed. 90% of which it didnt need.

Thats why if my car goes to a shop its either a friends or a little "mom n pop" type place. They are usually happy to have the business and tend to give out much better deals.

for example...
I needed snows mounted on my eclipse...called expert tire. $20 each tire....wtf? called this guy who owns a small shop down the road from me....$10 a tire!

·
Registered
936 Posts
When Toyota going to release their super sport car like the Skyline, except it's a v6 hybrid that will be as fast as a Farrari and has the gas mileage of a 4-cylinder. It will not be a Lexus, it will be the Toyota FT-HS. GT-R is always been know as a Nissan Skyline, it will be awkward to be an Infiniti GT-R.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts