Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got the KYB AGX front struts installed on my G an it's sooooo smooth now. I love em. thanks for all the advice on pickin the right ones because they were worth it. can't wait to get the rear ones too.

:smoke: 1

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Did you just get shocks? Or do you have springs too? How much did you pay>? :alien: :bored: :cool: :asian:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i only got the struts, i got them off www.tirerack.com
they weren't too expensive, with shipping i only paid $180 for the struts. having them installed was a lil too expensive tho. It cost $120 to have the 2 front struts put in an a 4 wheel alinement.

I got some questions too. What exactly are springs? what do they do and why would i want them?

also i want to lower my car but right now i've got shitty rear struts, im getting the KYB AGX rear struts but not for another month or so. Would it be better for me to just wait untill i get those to lower my car?

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
spita07 said:
i only got the struts, i got them off www.tirerack.com
they weren't too expensive, with shipping i only paid $180 for the struts. having them installed was a lil too expensive tho. It cost $120 to have the 2 front struts put in an a 4 wheel alinement.

I got some questions too. What exactly are springs? what do they do and why would i want them?

also i want to lower my car but right now i've got shitty rear struts, im getting the KYB AGX rear struts but not for another month or so. Would it be better for me to just wait untill i get those to lower my car?
Those thick, wound up pieces of metal that coil around your KYB AGX's are the springs. What they do is absorb the impact of a bump by compressing. The spring rate is the amount of force in pounds it takes to compress it one inch. The spring rate on the '91-'96 OEM are 90-100lb/in. The higher the spring rate, the stiffer the ride will be. Lowering spring usually have higher spring rates to compensate for the reduction in suspension travel, which on the G20 ain't a whole lot. Enter the "shock absorber".Now the "shock absorbers" as they are referred to don't really absorb the shock or force that the suspension takes. What they absorb is the up and down motion of the spring as its being compressed and expanded, slowing it down so that you don't feel that wavy or jiggly motion a few seconds after the bump.

Now, let's review. You're cruising on the street. You hit a bump. The wheel goes over the bump compressing the spring. The spring absorbs the force of the bump by turning it into kinetic energy to be released. The shock absorber absorbs the kinetic energy of the spring by turning that kinetic energy into heat from its resistance to the spring's motion. The wheel stays firmly planted on the ground, you hear and feel a little thump(or hard thump depending on how big the bump is:confused: )and you cruise along your merry way, never considering for once all the abuse and beating the suspension of your car takes to ensure a comfortable ride.=)

When you do lower your car, go with the Ground Control springs 275lb/in front and 200lb/in rear. That setup should give you the best ride.

OK class dismised. For homework, read this link:
http://www.se-r.net/car_info/suspension_tuning.html=) =)
If I've missed something please let me know guys.:nervous:

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Oh man this was not something I wanted to read after getting home from schooL!!! :alien: :cheeky: :cool: :asian:

·
Registered
529 Posts
What kind of shock/strut would you recommend for a stock g20 replacement? I don't have any major modifications to my car. I was thinking about the KYB GR2. Or maybe KYB AGX shocks in the front, w/ KYB GR2 rear struts.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
TeqP said:
What kind of shock/strut would you recommend for a stock g20 replacement? I don't have any major modifications to my car. I was thinking about the KYB GR2. Or maybe KYB AGX shocks in the front, w/ KYB GR2 rear struts.

If anyone has any other recommendations, I would appreciate the input.

Thanks! :)
From what I read somewhere(don't remember where :-\) the KYB GR-2's ARE the oem struts on the G20. I don't think that GR-2's in back and AGX's in front are a good mix. I don't have the AGX's, but I do know that they are WAY stiffer than stock. I can't say how it would turn out, but I can say that the car's handling/ride will feel rather odd. I believe that if you are going to keep the stock springs, then you might as well use the stock struts as well.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 93.5 g20 have shocks in the front and struts in the back?
From pictures of GR-2 shocks that I have seen, they don't look like my stock shocks. My stock front shocks have a boot on them(they look like struts, but dealer said they are shocks). The GR-2's don't. That's why I was thinking about the KYB AGX, the look similar to my stock front shock (except mine aren't adjustable). Am I wrong here?

Thanks again for the info!:)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Like you said........

TeqP said:
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the 93.5 g20 have shocks in the front and struts in the back?
From pictures of GR-2 shocks that I have seen, they don't look like my stock shocks. My stock front shocks have a boot on them(they look like struts, but dealer said they are shocks). The GR-2's don't. That's why I was thinking about the KYB AGX, the look similar to my stock front shock (except mine aren't adjustable). Am I wrong here?

Thanks again for the info!:)
I believe you are wrong. The front suspension on the P10('91-'96) have struts. The terms shocks/struts are used interchangeably, but in reality they are NOT the same. Only struts fit our car.;)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
One more note.....

Don't know if I mentioned this before, but when you get lowering/stiffer springs, you'll need to get stronger struts with those springs. The stock struts are too weak to handle the higher spring rates. If not, the stiffer springs will wear out the weaker struts very quickly.
Moral of the story: Do it right the first time.;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: Like you said........

MR. RYTE said:

I believe you are wrong. The front suspension on the P10('91-'96) have struts. The terms shocks/struts are used interchangeably, but in reality they are NOT the same. Only struts fit our car.;)
Actualy the p10's had the same "shocks" up front as the p11's and "struts" in the rear.=) The GR-2 will handle a 20-35% stiffer spring and the warranty is still good up to a 1.5" drop anything bellow that and your on your own. You shouldn't go below 1.5" anyways with out a stiff set of coil overs and those would require the AGX's firmness.

·
Registered
529 Posts
So, when I order from tirerack, I should order 4 struts then? I went to their website and they show shocks and struts for my car. Now I am confused:-\ .
Please provide some insight on the right shocks/struts to buy. I plan on going with the KYB GR-2's.

Thanks. :)

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
The term shocks/struts are used interchangebly, which can be sometimes confusing :confused: . However, I'm sure that Tirerack has the struts needed for your car. If anything, you can always call them to be %101 sure.;)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Shocks up front and Struts in the rear for a p10. Shocks all around for p11.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts