Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The proverbial problem...upgrading your G20 soundsystem. I just picked up a 2002 G20. gdalton gave me some great advice on installing an Infinity Basslink sub (thanks!) but I'm wondering if the stock head unit can be used as preamp-only, hooked up to a regular amp(s), and used to power new speakers that would fit in the doors and the rear deck. I've read tons about Bose systems being completely incompatible with most aftermarket stuff. But, ultimately, can the original headunit be kept and the rest of the speakers/amps upgraded? My last car had Kappas all the way around with a 4x75 watt amp hooked to preamp converters(?) on the original headunit. I miss the clarity and taut bass. But, I live in a high-theft area, and the slightest indication of custom stereo equipment in a car gets it broken into within a week, so I like keeping the factory headunit and upgrading everything else in stealth. Any suggestions?

·
G20.net Retiree
833 Posts
Have you concidered upgrading the head unit instead of the speakers?

This is a major improvement. I think it is more substantial than upgraded speakers on a stock head unit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep. Considered that. But, like I said, the car (even with an alarm) would most likely get broken into for the head unit. About 75% of cars in my complex get broken into with people trying to steal the head unit. So, it's not a matter of if, but when. Like I mentioned, on my last car I kept the factory head unit and only upgraded speakers and installed a new amp...didn't look like I changed a thing hidden under factory grilles and what not. My car was one of the very few that DIDN'T get broken into.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
IcarusHouston said:
Yep. ....Like I mentioned, on my last car I kept the factory head unit and only upgraded speakers and installed a new amp...didn't look like I changed a thing hidden under factory grilles and what not. My car was one of the very few that DIDN'T get broken into.
FWIW, my car looks completely stock (stereo wise) from the out side of the car, except for the head unit.. and I always remove the face plate.

If you went with a Kenwood or JVC, they've both got models that fold around to a black smooth face that looks like a cover, and that you don't even have a head unit.. ?

I'm really happy with my Alpine, I just make sure to take the detachable face with me!!

Good luck with your system.

·
Registered
251 Posts
G20-Budo said:

FWIW, my car looks completely stock (stereo wise) from the out side of the car, except for the head unit.. and I always remove the face plate.

If you went with a Kenwood or JVC, they've both got models that fold around to a black smooth face that looks like a cover, and that you don't even have a head unit.. ?

I'm really happy with my Alpine, I just make sure to take the detachable face with me!!

Good luck with your system.
The kenwood and JVC do flap around and are black after, but people who are going for headunits know those are headunits, not empty. Know that for from experience, my brother's girlfriend got her JVC stolen after 3 months in our neighborhood(not too bad).

If go for headunit , alpine is awesome, that is what I have. Always face-off, not a problem. But in your neighborhood, do people still break in to your car even you took the face out?

Back to the Bose question, I dont know if the stock system is compatiable. I took my Bose headunit out, didnt look like there is any pre-amp output.

·
Registered
74 Posts
It seems like it would be possible. I don't think preamp would be possible though (unless you use a high-level to preamp convertor).
You could buy an amp with high-level inputs and just use that (you could replace all of your speakers and a new amp, like you said).. or buy an amp with preamp inputs and use the convertor.
I think then, you would have to buy a part that blocks out the amplification from the headunit (forgot what they were called).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys! I appreciate the advice. Lots of things to consider. Sometimes people do get broken into even without the faceplate, though. Just a risk I guess I may have to take. I appreciate the input, guys.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts