Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've never changed spark plugs before. i bought a set from kragen today since they had a $10 gift card when you buy a set of bosch +4. all i have is the spark plug socket from my tool set. can somebody walk me thru how to change them? can't be that hard i assume.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
It would also help if you didn't buy the Bosch +4. The SR20DE does not take kindly to Bosch plugs and your engine will not perform up to par.

Just a suggestion: Bring back the Bosch +4 and purchase some NGK BKR6E (NOT BKR6E-11) V-power Copper plugs (about $2 each) or some NGK PFR6B-11/PFR6G-11 Platinum plugs (about $8 each). You will be very glad that you did and so will your car.

To get more info on SR20DE and plugs go to www.se-r.net or you could search this forum and/or www.sr20deforum.com and find results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
while i'm at it, should i replace the wires with NGK wires? the one i found on the NGK site is NX95. what do you guys recommend?

·
Registered
133 Posts
hell yeah if your get performance spark plugs you should get the wires to its better insolation on the performance spark plugs being that they are more powerful than stock ones

·
Registered
411 Posts
is there any reason u need new spark spark plugs on a 2001 car??

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
blk_g20 said:
while i'm at it, should i replace the wires with NGK wires? the one i found on the NGK site is NX95. what do you guys recommend?
The best wires, proven, on a NA SR20DE are the stock OEM wires. You do not need to spend the extra cash on any of those aftermarket wires until you are up in the 250HP range or so. Stick with the OEM wires! ;)

yahool said:
hell yeah if your get performance spark plugs you should get the wires to its better insolation on the performance spark plugs being that they are more powerful than stock ones
:paranoid: :confused:

The Bosch +4 are far from being performance plugs for the SR20DE and the NGK's that I listed are the stock recommended plugs. The PFR6B-11's are what came stock on the car from the factory. Recently NGK replaced those stock #'s with the PFR6G-11's. The BKR6E Coppers are just an alternative for people who don't want to spend around $40 for a set of plugs.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
where can i get these OEM wires from? would kragen carry them. i guess i can check tomorrow when i return the Bosch plugs. so can somebody walk me thru how to change these plug and wires? i assume i just pull out the old wires and sticks the new ones in...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
blk_g20 said:
where can i get these OEM wires from? would kragen carry them. i guess i can check tomorrow when i return the Bosch plugs. so can somebody walk me thru how to change these plug and wires? i assume i just pull out the old wires and sticks the new ones in...
No Kragen will not carry Nissan wires. You will have to get them through the dealership, online, or mail order. http://www.courtesyparts.com/ is a great place to deal with.

Just remove the old plugs. Install new ones. I believe the torque spec on plugs is 22ftlbs, BUT do not quote me on this. (I am not responsible if you bust a plug.) Pull the wires and replace with the new ones. Make sure you put 1 on 1 and 2 on 2 and so on.... Meaning match them up to the distributor firing order. The numbers are imprinted on the side of the distributor cap.

·
Registered
194 Posts
You may also want to get some anti-seizing compound to put on the threads on the spark plugs. Don't use too much! Just put a little on and smear it around the threads. It makes it easier to take the plugs out (assuming you don't put too much torque on them in the first place). Also, get some dielectric gel and put it on the boots of your spark plug wires. This keeps the current in the wire from going where it's not supposed to. You can pick both of these things up at your neighborhood auto parts store.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts