Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone knew of a bolt on muffler that looks pretty good and isnt too loud
i would prefer a nice quiet hum rather than a loud obnoxious roar

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
If you want bolt-on cat-back the Greddy Evo is about your only option. It's actually pretty quite. If you want a universal muffler then I'd go with the biggest Remus you can fit. One of hte guys here in Toronto has one and damn does it sound nice.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
G-Forces said:
If you want bolt-on cat-back the Greddy Evo is about your only option. It's actually pretty quite. If you want a universal muffler then I'd go with the biggest Remus you can fit. One of hte guys here in Toronto has one and damn does it sound nice.
Actually, Remus makes a bolt-on muffler, but no mid-pipe for the P10. Just a little more noise than stock and it really sounds great. I'm going to eventually get a Remus universal (need larger diameter for the turbo) for my car. IMHO Remus came out on top of European Car's muffler test using a Jetta 1.8t. It came in second for power production and second for most quiet. The mufflers that came in first in both catagories were way down the list in the other catagory.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Geo,

So what is the best choice for a Non Turbo P10 ? I just want the nice growl and no performance loss. ( a gain would be nice :nervous: )

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
Remus is still good for a NA car. Don't go bigger than 2.25" inlet though.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
poppy_morenito said:
Geo,

So what is the best choice for a Non Turbo P10 ? I just want the nice growl and no performance loss. ( a gain would be nice :nervous: )

Remus.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
THanks where is best place to buy one ? Luke ???/

·
Registered
3,357 Posts

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
poppy_morenito said:
What HP gains should I expect from the Remus if any ?
Is it a straight bolt on ? If get it shipped can a muffler shop jest " screw " it on or whatever they do ?
hp gain? I don't know a couple hp. You won't be doing second gear burn outs with just this. ;)

I looks like a back-box setup, so yeah you could probably end do this in your driveway with basic tools and some luck (the bolts to aren't fused on the current exhaust pipe).

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I would add just for cool growl sound if no HP gain, plus looks. As long as i does not sound like that Honda baby whinning sound ....

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
poppy_morenito said:
I would add just for cool growl sound if no HP gain, plus looks. As long as i does not sound like that Honda baby whinning sound ....
It doesn't. I want one now too, but I'm waiting until I get some big air pump attached to the front of my motor first. ;)

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
But at $387, I could build a cat back system (for a little less actually), it might not be "as quiet" as a remus, but it would be a better bang for the buck (IMO)..

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
Please explain what a CAT BACK system is for us dummies... thanks

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
poppy_morenito said:
Please explain what a CAT BACK system is for us dummies... thanks

Sorry.. a "cat-back" exhaust system means.. from the catalitic (sp?) converter back to the muffler.. so it's not just the muffler that is replaced.

The reason this is a good thing, the stock "secondary" (the pipe that goes from the muffler to the cat) is crush bent and pretty small in diameter.

The exhaust I'm planning to have made will cost me around $340, it will have a stainless tip, and muffler. the piping from the muffler to the cat will be aluminized. and it will be made from mandrel U-bends that will be cut and welded together.

I'm also planning around a 18" resonator, to help keep the noise down.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
G20-Budo said:
But at $387, I could build a cat back system (for a little less actually), it might not be "as quiet" as a remus, but it would be a better bang for the buck (IMO)..
Make that a fair bit louder than the Remus. The Remus is pretty quiet. Just barely audible with a super nice tone.

But you're right Kyle, you can certainly have a custom cat-back made for the price of the Remus. But after hearing Adam's, and the European Car test, I'm sold.

I've heard others and read about the Magnaflow and I just don't want that much noise. That's me though. My GReddy on my SE-R is still a bit loud for me for a daily driver. Well, it's at the edge of what I would call acceptable.

·
Administrator
5,071 Posts
Geo said:
I've heard others and read about the Magnaflow and I just don't want that much noise. That's me though. My GReddy on my SE-R is still a bit loud for me for a daily driver. Well, it's at the edge of what I would call acceptable.
Well then we have either different Greddy's, or my hearing is getting alot worse.. The Greddy on my SE-R is hardly louder than stock.. hell my CAI is louder than the exhaust.

Which is what I'm looking for in the exhaust on the G20..

Speaking of G20's, I still haven't seen your G20 in person yet (or driven it).. I'll have to make a trip to Tex-ass some time later this year. ;-)

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
G20-Budo said:
Well then we have either different Greddy's, or my hearing is getting alot worse.. The Greddy on my SE-R is hardly louder than stock.. hell my CAI is louder than the exhaust.
I think it comes down to what you want. The GReddy for the SE-R isn't all that loud, but still on the loud side of acceptable for my taste.

G20-Budo said:
Which is what I'm looking for in the exhaust on the G20..
I think that's what it's all coming down to... each person's subjective desires for their exhaust and what sounds good.

G20-Budo said:
Speaking of G20's, I still haven't seen your G20 in person yet (or driven it).. I'll have to make a trip to Tex-ass some time later this year. ;-)
Well, you've seen it. In Dallas at the covention. You just haven't seen it with the 17" wheels, GCs, and of course, the DET.

Man, how I wish I could have made the convention this year. Work was just so wacked it was going to cause more stress to go than to miss it. I'm still pissed at them.

I think you'll like it. I need to get longer front springs, some better brake pads (I got some cheap shit after burning off my old ones at the convention last year), and some SS lines. I still want to work on that adjustable swaybar conversion, but I'm mired in other projects still. I also still want to get the Primera Te bumpers, but the 944 is sucking my car cash at the moment. I'll get it done though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts