Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found an auction for a turbomani and turbo off a 93 nissan silvia, im sorry to say guys but ive never heard of this car, ive heard of the engine but not the car, the seller claims it would fit an sr20de, what do you guys think? should i buy

matt

96 g

·
Registered
132 Posts
It should bolt up and work fine, but you will need a custom downpipe that comes under the turbo and then down under the car. I can let you know in the next two weeks because a local guy is putting a custom stainless silvia manifold on his SE-R and if it works I'll post here. There might be clearance issues though, but I have been told it will work.

·
G20 Junkee
2,343 Posts
I dont think that will work be cause the silvia is a rwd car. Therefore the engine doesnt sit left to right as it does in our car. It sits front to back. It might work but Im almost positive that the exhuast on that car goes sideways instead of down underneath like ours. However, Im not sure just my $.02

·
Registered
246 Posts
You will have a hard time getting it to fit. Get either a Bluebird/Avenir or GTiR turbo setup! Save yourself the headache of trying to get the Silvia setup to fit!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Lots of people have tried putting S manifolds into B cars, a couple have succeeded. I have no idea how different a B is from a P, but the people who succeeded said that it wasn't worth the effort; should've used a GTi-R manifold.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was lookin around and i found mani and turbo from a det so i think im gonna stick with that could anybody quote me on that, also do ya think it would be hard finding a down pipe for the det. thanks for the help guys=)

matt

96 g

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
You can get the GTi-R manifold from a few places for $250. JGY Customs has a pretty good 2.5" downpipe that several people on SR20DEforum are having success with. Lots of muffler shops will weld you one up for a Bill or a Bill and a Half ($100-150) if you grease the monkey's paws right. ;)

Hot Shot (I think) has one, too, but it may be bigger. A full 3" DP is nice for flow, but you should get a new cat if you do that, and 3" pipes may interfere with stuff down unner' on a P10 or P11.

Some nutcase (I may or may not be kidding) recently imported some 70mm Pulsar GTi-R downpipes from HKS, too. No word yet on how much modification those take to fit to a US body, though. :crosseyed

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've done some research and also have looked at and compared FWD and RWD manifolds...THEY ARE DIFFERENT...only by the way the position of the turbo. In the FWD cars we don't have much room between head and radiator. The Silvia has the motor sitting 90 degrees than a FWD therefore having more room.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry to be a newbie about it but is the det turbo the same as a gtir , i thought the det was frwd just like the de, the only difference was that det was de with turbo. ????

matt

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
CowboyDren said:
Hot Shot (I think) has [a downpipe], too, but it may be bigger.
They definitely have one, but I now think that it's only 2.5" as well. I'm pretty sure that it's mandrel-bent, as opposed to JGY's, which I think are crushed, so for the price difference...you make the call. They go for about $300, by the way.
mcguiver7 said:
sorry to be a newbie about it but is the det turbo the same as a gtir , i thought the det was frwd just like the de, the only difference was that det was de with turbo. ????
You have much to learn, young squire. :) There are a few significant differences between DEs and DETs, and there is even more variance between diffferent DETs, so you have to know what you're looking for. In short:
  • Bluebirds have SR20DETs. Bluebirds are AWD.
  • ("Pulsar" or "Sunny") GTi-R's also have SR20DETs, but are much more powerful and very different engines externally and internally. GTi-R's are also AWD.
  • Silvias are what we got in the US as a 240SX; a two-door sports "sedan" (four seats), which is RWD.
There's also the Avenir DET, but it's pretty similar to a BB engine. The AWD engines attach very nicely to the FWD transmissions in G20s, Sentras, and other Nissans with SR20DE engines as original equipment. Because Silvias are RWD, the external parts from Silvias very rarely interchange with FWD DEs or AWD DETs.

If you want to learn more about Turbo SR20s, go here and spend a few hours reading. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts