Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had the opportunity to drive an AT G20 yesterday and man, is it hard to swallow after driving MT!!! Acceleration on that car is like an old man walking!!!!!!!! And the revving music from the engine, I couldn't hear it at all!!!!! So glad that I am driving MT, no offense atomic-FF-G! :)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
sadly it's true... the auto tranny kills any power capabilities the SR20 has (or could have). lol even if I drag race my friend's civic... off the line he can have me any time but from a rollin start at 60+ mph *when the auto is in it's last gearing anyways* his engine just can't keep up with an SR20DE. Still, it's easy to tell the P10 chassis wasn't supposed to ever have an auto tranny mated to it's engine... but I shouldn't be drag racing my car anyways... good handling lets me TURN...

·
Registered
13,194 Posts
at vs 5-speed

I haven't had the opportunity to drive a new P11 stick shift but I did drive 2 different P10 5-speeds (used of course) and was extremely disappointed... I hated how long the throw was and how much effort had to be used with your left foot on the pedal and the amount of play in the clutch.... I had a 90 Celica that was a far superior and fun-to-drive clutch.. so I opted for the P10 automatic... I cannot speak for the P11... perhaps they improved it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
CVT will be a good subsitute for AT

It is true that AT doesn't perform as good as a manual. I have 95 G20t with at. AT is the reason why I have started modifying my car. I believe that in Japan Nissan has sold P11 primera with CVT trans. It is as efficient as manual. It is same as Audi's CVT trans on a new A4. The problem is that it is doubtful to take the abuse of 220 hp + engine. Hopfully Nissan plans to sell V6 and V8 CVT trans equipped cars here in America.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Well, after owning an auto, and now a 5-spd. I can say that the 5-spd is definitly quicker off the line, however once you're going, i'd have to say they are pretty close to the same speed. The auto weighs a little more (about 80lbs), but other than that, the difference should pretty much just be how strong the motor is (maybe a couple hp more for the 5-spd due to transmission efficiency?) Once you are going though (like from a roll) i'd bet they are pretty comparable.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the red light acceleration on an AT is surely not comparable to the MT. I could argue that even during cruise, the AT is somewhat slower in acceleration response, just a slight bit slower. The only way I see the AT is comparable to the MT is to drive like an MT. In that I mean, accelerate on D1 then shift to D2 then shift to D.

It's maybe just me but I like the sporty feels the MT give. You feel so much in control of the engine and more intimate with it. But then again, others like it a "I-don't-have-to-do-anything" in the AT so it depends on which thought you steer to.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
G-loads said:
The only way I see the AT is comparable to the MT is to drive like an MT. In that I mean, accelerate on D1 then shift to D2 then shift to D.
I don't know why everyone assumes this, but if you put your fott down, while in drive it should do the exact same thing, but faster shifts. There is no way to really effectivly torque brake the auto tranny, unless you have it built by someone like level 10. Also, the car should go all the way to redline if your foot is all the way down, i know my 94 did. I'd usually leave it on power (the tranny switch) so it'd shift higher under normal driving too.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
No offense taken. It is slower off the line than a MT and does struggle at times, I admit that - but I love my G, even if it is an AT. :). I'm not into racing, but making the car look good - so as far as speed goes, it doesn't bother me at all. Just like Justin said, the AT can do well after it accelerates and has gained all it's speed :). But then again, with the G being heavy, my heavy ass box in the back :) and heavy rims, it's hard pushing my baby - lol.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
After I stoped street racing and accepted the fact that my auto G20 was slow I just stoped caring about speed. The G20 can handle daily driving with ease and it looks fast so who gives a flyin f#@%. If you want real speed do what I did open a savings account and start saving for another car. I plan on getting a nice Audi S4 or BMW 3 series in about two years.

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Re: yeah

Chris said:
...and when I'm stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic never getting above 30mph for more than 1/4 mile, I LOVE my automatic and absolutely HATE MT!!!!
Yeah, i definitly have to agree with you on that one. if i get stuck in heavy traffic, I wish I an auto tranny again. Although for me, the times i want a 5-spd outweigh those of wanting an auto (only in heavy traffic).

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
JustinP10 said:

I don't know why everyone assumes this, but if you put your fott down, while in drive it should do the exact same thing, but faster shifts. There is no way to really effectivly torque brake the auto tranny, unless you have it built by someone like level 10. Also, the car should go all the way to redline if your foot is all the way down, i know my 94 did. I'd usually leave it on power (the tranny switch) so it'd shift higher under normal driving too.
Justin, I did exactly that - floor the baby! Problem is, once you floor it and red line it, AT tranny kicks in and shift to 3rd gear!! And there is a lag in the transition. This is what I am not too fond about, a lag in transition of power.

The point here folks is not about street racing and "oh-I-have-a-manual-and-you-don't" attitude, but it's about comparing the same engine, same car of different tranny, that produces noticeable differences in performance. And clearly different people have different preferences!

It is helpful however, to have a car with decent acceleration for the odd situation when you need the extra power for a lane change, etc.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
In Miami having an auto is needed. I have a 5 speed back in NJ/ Philly and it was no big deal. But here in the traffice stuck behind a truck full chickens on the highway and all the bad drivers from other countries who never had to obey street signs before. It's one less thing to worry about ....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah, AT is good if you live in the Urban
but for suburd driving, MT is mandatory :)

Next question, can you DE+T with an AT? Never thought of that before, but I guess it should work fine?

·
Registered
520 Posts
2002G20Racer said:
After I stoped street racing and accepted the fact that my auto G20 was slow I just stoped caring about speed. If you want real speed do what I did open a savings account and start saving for another car.
I feel the same way. If I had a manual tranny, I would probably do some engine mods. Since I don't, I gave up on my G unforntunately and made a pact to myself just to make it look good for the time being (rims, tint, drop, system). I will be saving up for a manual g35 when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Mista McCoilover said:

I feel the same way. If I had a manual tranny, I would probably do some engine mods. Since I don't, I gave up on my G unforntunately and made a pact to myself just to make it look good for the time being (rims, tint, drop, system). I will be saving up for a manual g35 when it comes out.
Im also thinking about buying a manual G35 coupe. Its going to be faster, lighter, and better looking than the G35 thats out right now. Too bad its prob still going to cost around 33k for a semi loaded one...

·
Registered
710 Posts
So i was thinking if you could just get a higher stall torque converter for our auto trans...Im sure it would give some more power, but i'm guessing it would burn up the trans parts pretty fast. So would a whole rebuild from level 10 be in the need here?

Also...I think Antony Lawrence did have a turbo auto G20. In theory...the auto should be faster than the manual with the turbo because the auto should keep the turbo spooled up with always having a high RPM.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts