Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so my car (99 VE swap P11) was re-parked one morning and now it just doesnt turn on. I have re-wired the distributor to the VE one and it gets spark on all 4 insulators, I pulled the plugs - they were flooded (so I'm pretty sure injectors are doing their job) and the starter cranks nice and strong (to the point the car sputters but never fires.) I don't see how the car would not be firing, checked all fuses did not see a single burned fuse. Fuel pump getting power i can hear it prime then click like normal.

I want to rule out distributor since DE dizzy was doing the same thing.

My setup is very basic and has been reliable for 6 months up to this day:
Stock 99 DE ECU
SR20VE w/ SSAC header
SR20DE distributor
333 Injectors

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,559 Posts
Basics son, basics.
Check spark, fuel, and compression, and that they are all there at the right times.
Pull a plug wire and see if you have spark when cranking. Spray some fuel in the throttle body and see if it fires when cranking. Does it sound like it's cranking at the right speed or spins fast or rough like no/bad compression?

·
Pining for "DMSentra"
5,559 Posts
Ok so my car (99 VE swap P11) was re-parked one morning and now it just doesnt turn on. I have re-wired the distributor to the VE one and it gets spark on all 4 insulators, I pulled the plugs - they were flooded (so I'm pretty sure injectors are doing their job) and the starter cranks nice and strong (to the point the car sputters but never fires.) I don't see how the car would not be firing, checked all fuses did not see a single burned fuse. Fuel pump getting power i can hear it prime then click like normal.

I want to rule out distributor since DE dizzy was doing the same thing.

My setup is very basic and has been reliable for 6 months up to this day:
Stock 99 DE ECU
SR20VE w/ SSAC header
SR20DE distributor
333 Injectors
What does that mean? Plug wire ends?

·
Lord Crodz
7,233 Posts
So you hear the pump prime, then it just cranks and cranks? Check all fuses and fuseable link. From there I would check grounds.
I guess I should have read your post first. Listen to LoCo.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Basics son, basics.
Check spark, fuel, and compression, and that they are all there at the right times.
Pull a plug wire and see if you have spark when cranking. Spray some fuel in the throttle body and see if it fires when cranking. Does it sound like it's cranking at the right speed or spins fast or rough like no/bad compression?
Going to check fuel pressure later today and spray some starting fluid in the tb, spark looks to be good on the VE dizzy, i checked each individual wire good strong arc and audible. Cranking seems normal speed, gets a bit rough almost like it is going to start - guess that could be a concern though I have been through the experience of loss of compression and this doesn't feel like it, so hoping for the best. I haven't abused this engine in the slightest, which is what makes me so confused. It was turned on for 1 min, driven 30 ft or so to be reparked and turned back off, then I came back to drive it to work later that day and it wouldn't start. No codes being thrown except for p0105 and p1105 - then again that is "normal" for SR20VE's since map sensor is omitted.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I have determined a good lead!! - I checked wires again at a hunch - apparently no spark at all on 1&2 anymore but good spark on 3&4, pulled 3&4 plugs, they were black so im guessing it had it had ignition - then I pulled 1&2 and fuel was clear and plugs were clean, no signs of ignition/spark at all.

Ruling in the distributor once again - now the question I ask - If I'm getting spark on 2 cylinders does that mean my wiring is ok? I'd imagine if i messed up there would be no spark at all on the VE distributor

Which leads me to conclude either of the following:

a) Distributor itself is bad (I hear that is a rare occurrence)
b) cap & rotor are worn (likely)
c) my wiring is faulty (not very likely)

·
Im a organ donor.
4,843 Posts
ecu fried? Seen it happen at convention this year. VE just wouldn't start...i would think the dizzy would throw more of a fit and let you know it was on the way out. Just throwing it out there...

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ecu fried? Seen it happen at convention this year. VE just wouldn't start...i would think the dizzy would throw more of a fit and let you know it was on the way out. Just throwing it out there...
I opened the ECU everything smelled fine lol literally looked brand new and i can pull codes, cel is lit when ign-on and everything functioning properly besides spark. I'm going to convert my VE dizzy to the RR rotor drive and put on the RR cap and rotor just to make tune ups and things much easier to source parts for. no more used parts, tired of getting crap that doesn't work all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.