Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
963 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys now i konw u all r prob gettin sick of me askin questions about all these motors but im just tryin to get peoples opinions. Anyways i found the sr20ve from sr20development for 2300. Ok does this sound good? Also i heard that not many know too much about this motor and it might be hard to find someone who does, so is this tru? And finally are there a lot of after market products for this enigne? thanks again guys and peace
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts
From what I have picked up, most everyone says that the DET swap is much easier and has the potential for A LOT more power. The SR20VE isn't going to drop right in, so expect to pay A LOT of labor charges.

Since the engine isn't in any cars in the US (I think) getting parts might be a bit more complicated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
www.sr20deforum.com has a bunch on the VE, it even has it's own section. It's a little more trouble than a DET, but you would be one of the first kids on your block to have one. They are supposed to have a very flat torque curve, which is cool. It's definitely worth looking at if you want something different, and you have the cash.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Sports Compact car magazine issue.

I have the old issue of Sports Compact Car about a guy who has a modified and turbocharged SR-20VE NX 2000. When I looked the steps to modifiy the car, it must have been a very hard, expensive, and patient project. On the other, it is very tempting. If you want to be different and have enough fund, Go Head. :cool:
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
inkorekt said:
www.sr20deforum.com has a bunch on the VE, it even has it's own section. It's a little more trouble than a DET
I'd have to disagree. I'm betting it'd be WAY easier than a DET. You need to buy less parts. No turbo pulmbing would be a BIG plus.

Like he said go to SR20DEforum.com go to the VE section and read everythign, twice. ;) Then ask your questions over there, just because I think they have the most knowledge. Noone here has a VE to my knowledge. =)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
I've actually gone over to SR20DEvelopement and they had all sorts of engines all over the place. The SR20VE doesn't look any different from a DE at all. The DET has this obvious turbo and like mentioned above; all the required plumbing. They offered me a VE at a lower cost than the DET, with lower miles too. IMO, I'd think the VE is a lot cheaper to get than the DET... easier to install too BUT you'll need some kinda ECU that can control the VVL. JWT is nearby, but again, money is an issue. Just plan on spending a lot more than you plan on spending.
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
FF Drifter said:
...BUT you'll need some kinda ECU that can control the VVL. JWT is nearby, but again, money is an issue. Just plan on spending a lot more than you plan on spending.
You can do the VVL switch over pretty easily. Getting it done through JWT is a waste of money. It's an extra $260 daughterboard add-on. You can get some RPM switches from MSD or Summit Racing and do it yourself for < 100-150 bucks. That way you can play with the cam switch over. The JWT add-on is set and cannot be changed unless you send it back. The switch over is controlled by a couple solinoids, no big mystery.

Good point about the swap. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
Sport Comapct Car April 2001 issue

Sport Compact car magazine on April 2001 has an issue about 92 NX 2000. It has a fabricated F-Max turbocharger on sr-20ve with customized JWT ECU box. It is also at trans modified by Level 10. This car has 300 crank hp. At the track, the car does 13.5 at 104 mph. :cool: This is very impressive for AT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
G-Forces said:

I'd have to disagree. I'm betting it'd be WAY easier than a DET. You need to buy less parts. No turbo pulmbing would be a BIG plus.

Like he said go to SR20DEforum.com go to the VE section and read everythign, twice. ;) Then ask your questions over there, just because I think they have the most knowledge. Noone here has a VE to my knowledge. =)
I suppose you are right. I am just a lowly newbie, please forgive me if possible. I was just thinking of the fact that the swap hasn't been done as much as the DET, there still seems to be a learning curve for for the VE.
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
inkorekt said:


I suppose you are right. I am just a lowly newbie, please forgive me if possible. I was just thinking of the fact that the swap hasn't been done as much as the DET, there still seems to be a learning curve for for the VE.
Well as far as just ploping the motor in the engine bay it's really a no brainer. DET or VE, both the same. When it comes to hooking up the motors it starts to get a little trickier if you have all that turbo plumbing to work out.

It'd be nice if someone could make a plumbing kit (piping and FMIC) for the G20(P10 and P11)/DET swap. At it stands now you have to get this all custom done. :(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I thought Hotshot had an intercooler kit for sale. It was in George's article in Sport Compact Car. Did they ever actually come out with it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
Re: Sports Compact car magazine issue.

Green Primera said:
I have the old issue of Sports Compact Car about a guy who has a modified and turbocharged SR-20VE NX 2000. When I looked the steps to modifiy the car, it must have been a very hard, expensive, and patient project. On the other, it is very tempting. If you want to be different and have enough fund, Go Head. :cool:
All it took was money.

Fortunately, Carl had plenty for the project. I don't think he did any of the work himself.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,027 Posts
inkorekt said:
I thought Hotshot had an intercooler kit for sale. It was in George's article in Sport Compact Car. Did they ever actually come out with it?
No. I need to get back with John. I left him a couple of messages and he never got back to me. I was going to supply him with a set of pipes to create the jigs to reproduce the kit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
So what would be the total cost of a VE swap if you did it yourself? There's the engine for $2300, and the rpm switchs for $150, is that all? It's not like I could afford it anytime soon anyway, but it is nice to dream.=)
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
inkorekt said:
So what would be the total cost of a VE swap if you did it yourself?
I donno how much is it going to cost me to move across Canada?

I'd budget about twice what you think you need. You can run the stock ECU. I don't know if a stock VE manifold would work with your current DE exhuast (i.e. does it line up?) I've only seen people use HS headers on the VE. And that is not an ideal fit either. :-\ Get a sheet of paper and write down what you think you'd need. You'll need tools if you don't have them already (if you don't know what kind of tools you need for a motor swap I don't think you should attempt it yourself. ;)). You'll need various wire, hoses, looming, electrical tape, connectors, etc for hookuping up the solenoids. You need some place to put the rpm switches. You might want to make room where the battery is so maybe a battery relocation kit. Do you need some sort of material to mount the switches on? You'll need mounting hardware for that. You probably have to get sort of creative. Not many people have done the swap. Call www.sr20development.com and ask them how much it might cost.

We can't just plop a number in front of you. A lot of the cost depends on how nice you want the installation, are you going to half ass it or do you want a stock looking install? High quality materials or use whatever scrap you can find.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
I understand, I was just looking for a ballpark estimate so I can start saving my pennies. It's mainly just wishful thinking, you can't buy much on a college student's budget. I hate to sound like an annoying newbie but, well, I am.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
When I went to SR20DEvelopement *hey, I'm a college student too* I said I needed an engine and they offered me the VE for $800 (motor + labor) but I'm sure it's more than that in the end. The DET on the other hand went for $2000. To be safe, I'd add $500~$600 to each estimate (for things like water pumps, hoses, etc.) As a sidenote, they told me they can do a turn around in a week or so. *almost seemed too good to be true* Too bad I didn't have the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
When I went to SR20DEvelopement *hey, I'm a college student too* I said I needed an engine and they offered me the VE for $800 (motor + labor) but I'm sure it's more than that in the end. The DET on the other hand went for $2000. To be safe, I'd add $500~$600 to each estimate (for things like water pumps, hoses, etc.) As a sidenote, they told me they can do a turn around in a week or so. *almost seemed too good to be true* Too bad I didn't have the money.
Sorry I meant $1800 for SR20VE *why the hell do they put the insert button right next to the backspace key?*
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top