Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty, on Sunday my Check Engine light came on, but I was on a bumpy dirt road at the time so I kinda assumed that some sensor was loose in emissions somewhere. Well, today I broke down and took the car in to the local Nissan stealership (the nearest Infiniti dealer is 2 hrs away) and for a ridiculous price they diagnosed it as my front o2 sensor being out. (That explains the sluggish behavior and sudden drop in gas mileage.) They offered to fix it for $133 parts and $140 labor. Pfft. Yeah, my ass. So my dad and I are fixing it this weekend. I need to know:

Where should I buy the sensor from? It has to be here by Sat. at the latest.

Does anyone know the part #?
1994 G20 if you didn't know...

How much should I pay?

This is a pretty easy surgery to do, right?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Okely dokely, thanks for your help.

Emily

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
Dont know the part number nor the price, but call the guys at www.infinitipartsusa.com and speak with Joe or Brian, they will have it.

The install is really simple. Unplug the sensor, take it out, put the new one back in and hook up the sensor. Should take you less than an hour, if your engine is cold. Oh yeah, a big metric open end wrench will help 17mm or 19mm Im not positive.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I replaced the o2 sensor on my 91 G20 w/ a OEM unit from Standard Ignition. Suprising enough.....the sensor even has the Nissan symbol on it. It is the same unit they sell in the dealer.
It costed me $76.00. Just wanna pass this around............

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
boingo82 said:
Alrighty, on Sunday my Check Engine light came on, but I was on a bumpy dirt road at the time so I kinda assumed that some sensor was loose in emissions somewhere. Well, today I broke down and took the car in to the local Nissan stealership (the nearest Infiniti dealer is 2 hrs away) and for a ridiculous price they diagnosed it as my front o2 sensor being out. (That explains the sluggish behavior and sudden drop in gas mileage.) They offered to fix it for $133 parts and $140 labor. Pfft. Yeah, my ass. So my dad and I are fixing it this weekend. I need to know:

Where should I buy the sensor from? It has to be here by Sat. at the latest.

Does anyone know the part #?
1994 G20 if you didn't know...

How much should I pay?

This is a pretty easy surgery to do, right?

Anything else I need to be aware of?

Okely dokely, thanks for your help.

Emily
Did you say that the Check Engine Light came on when the O2 sensor went out?:surprised I always thought that there was no way the O2 sensor could be diagnosed unless you went to the dealer only. How much the stealership charge you for your diagnostics?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey when you hear people say "STEALERSHIP" on this board, you know they say it for a reason. Just buy the O2 sensor from infinitiusa, that way it's cheaper, the install is just like replacing a light bulb.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FOLLOW UP: O2 Sensor

Well, replaced it last Sunday, put in a Bosch o2 sensor for a cost of $70, and a total of 5 minutes. Drove the car around for a week, then took it to Infiniti and said "turn off the check engine light!!!". They said resetting the computer costs $78. I said I'd find someone local to do it for cheaper, so the service manager said, "Fine, we'll do it for no charge, just toke my guy, they fix cars for a living you know." So we did. Their guy was like "This engine's been started 37 times!!!!". Yep it had, shame on me, etc etc. Total replacement cost: $90. (We only had $20s on us.) Stephen Wade quoted me $280 for the whole job. Yeah, 1.5 hrs my a$s.

Oh, btw, diagnostics at a Nissan dealer were $40. Ridiculous! Autozone will diagnose for free if you drive Chevy, Dodge, or Ford, but they can't do Japanese.

·
Registered
16 Posts
resetting chck engine light

my chck engine light is still on and has been on for a while. i replaced the o2 after getting it diagnosed. i unpluged my battery for 15 min like was suggested to me by a freind but the light didn't reset. any suggestions.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Re: resetting chck engine light

djcstreet said:
my chck engine light is still on and has been on for a while. i replaced the o2 after getting it diagnosed. i unpluged my battery for 15 min like was suggested to me by a freind but the light didn't reset. any suggestions.
You may have to leave the battery off longer.

Also, you might want to pull the code off the ECU. Do you have a Service Manual?

·
Registered
268 Posts
When I changed my O2 my gas milage shot way up! It looked like the stock sensor was a Bosh just like the new one. The dealership want to charge me over $100. just for the part! I went to Advance Auto Parts and paid about $40. Took about 10min to slap in.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i need to replace mine too but dont want to be ripped off by the dealership. can somebody tell me exactly where it is located and how to replace it? thank you very much.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
blk_g20 said:
i need to replace mine too but dont want to be ripped off by the dealership. can somebody tell me exactly where it is located and how to replace it? thank you very much.
It's inside your exhaust manifold. Just take it out and put the new one it. Then reset the ECU by turning the ECU screw 3 times.

To reset the ECU with the battery you don't have to wait. Just unplug the battery then press and hold the brakes a few time and maybe turn the ignition key to On a few times. That should get rid of any residual electricity. ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
The thing on the engine near your radiator hanging off the head that goes to the exhaust. the O2 sensor is the thing sticking out of it. They make special O2 sensor wrenchs you can buy that make it easier too. Your local parts store should have them.

On the earlier cars 91-95/96 there is a screw on the back of the ECU. Turn it all the way to the right and wait 2 seconds. Turn it all the way back. The code will flash on the check engine light (shortflashes and long flashes) count short count long and you got the number.

To reset the ECU turn the screw all the way to the right for 5 seconds and then turn it back.

Lee

·
Registered
175 Posts
Wow I have been looking to replace the one on my 94, but the sensors are about 75 bucks locally. So advanced auto parts has it for 40 hmm I am gonna get it from them. Let me call tomorrow

·
Registered
159 Posts
here in CA kragen and pep boys sell the Bosch ones for $70. don't have an advanced auto parts near me...but i guess i will still save a lot than having the dealer do it

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
blk_g20 said:
thank you very much for clearing that up for me. now where exactly is the ECU locate?
Dude, you really need to sit back and read a whole bunch. Visit old threads and surf around a lot. visit www.se-r.net and read the tons of info there is there, you will learn a lot and be able to ask more meaningful questions....I dont mean to be rude, but the information is out there you just need to look for it...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.