Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upstream O2 sensor on a 2001 G20. I've got the connector off the metal bracket and I'll be damned if I can separate the halves. The harness side has a green tab that I've tried pressing down and lifting up with no joy. I don't want to force anything, can someone tell me what I need to do to release the connector?

·
Registered
20,739 Posts
Press in, hard.

I hate the green locks they put on the p11. They always fill in with dirt and junk and are really hard to release compared to the old style.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Press in, hard.

I hate the green locks they put on the p11. They always fill in with dirt and junk and are really hard to release compared to the old style.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! for that helpful and speedy advice! Kinda easy now that I have it apart and see how it works, I'd been pushing it down too much and not enough inward. I don't think I've ever needed that much force to separate a connector.

But thanks again and I gotta agree if that's the norm, I'm now no fan of the green connector either.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Easy-Peasy with the right advice! :thumbsup:

Now as I understand it the CEL should reset itself with 50-100 miles of driving?

·
Registered
20,739 Posts
OBD systems have something in their programming called a drive cycle that approximates what most people do with cars; that is start it up from cold, drive for a bit, accelerate, slow down, accelerate, slow down, park, and shut it off. It studies the condition of the sensors during these all phases of operation. It isn't a specific distance, so much as completing all the functions of a drive cycle. I'm not sure how many times are needed, but it will study the condition of the sensors and if everything is okay for a few drive cycles then the CEL should go away.

Alternatively, you reset the CEL. Then it has no memory of the bad sensor, but it also resets the status of all the other sensors. Then you have to go through several drive cycles to move the status from non-ready to okay. The light won't be on, but if you need to pass inspections, it won't until all the sensors complete however many drives cycles it takes to be ready again.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OBD systems have something in their programming called a drive cycle that approximates what most people do with cars; that is start it up from cold, drive for a bit, accelerate, slow down, accelerate, slow down, park, and shut it off. It studies the condition of the sensors during these all phases of operation. It isn't a specific distance, so much as completing all the functions of a drive cycle. I'm not sure how many times are needed, but it will study the condition of the sensors and if everything is okay for a few drive cycles then the CEL should go away.

Alternatively, you reset the CEL. Then it has no memory of the bad sensor, but it also resets the status of all the other sensors. Then you have to go through several drive cycles to move the status from non-ready to okay. The light won't be on, but if you need to pass inspections, it won't until all the sensors complete however many drives cycles it takes to be ready again.

Yeah, I'm due for inspection so I'll just drive it, just put about 27 miles on it and the first thing I noticed was cold idle was definitely faster, runs well. I'll take a few little drives over the weekend and hopefully all will be well and I'll have lights out..

I appreciate all your help. Hopefully I'll have this car for a while, it's only got a 132K on it and it suits my needs. The lumbar support may not be adjustable but it suits my old, wonky back very well. :geezer:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
Press in, hard.

Me too. Can't count how many times I've pushed too hard and broke these. Lots of times they get jammed because of years of dirt buildup between the connector and the sensor itself. I've found spraying with electric parts cleaner, and blowing out with an air gun hooked up to an air compressor usually makes this much easier for the connector to finally let loose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hate to ask if there's a maximum mileage one should expect the CEL to reset by? I replaced the O2 sensor and know it had an effect as the cold idle idle was faster than it had been but I've now put 118 miles on the car and the light's still staring me in the face. :confused:

·
Registered
419 Posts
Rubber intake tube on the accordion part may have a crack in it. Vacuum leaks. If you have no way to erase the code id go to autozone and erase it. Your gonna foul your new o2 and it won't last long

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rubber intake tube on the accordion part may have a crack in it. Vacuum leaks. If you have no way to erase the code id go to autozone and erase it. Your gonna foul your new o2 and it won't last long

I know it's not conclusive but I gave the accordion part and other hoses a close visual inspection and found no issue. I disconnected the battery and I'm going to let the codes clear and go for a ride and see what happens.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the light is out but it may take a while to learn why. I went to AutoZone and asked if they could clear the codes, the guy came out, plugged in and his past experience apparently told him the light would go out without starting the engine, it didn't. Went inside and the printout showed the same code as before. When I left it was in bright sunshine and difficult to tell if the light was on or not, made the U--turn to head towards home and the light was out. Still not sure if it was from plugging in the reader or hitting ~ 130 miles since sensor installation. I guess I'll just go to inspection and see what happens.

·
Administrator
5,827 Posts
Well, the light is out but it may take a while to learn why. I went to AutoZone and asked if they could clear the codes, the guy came out, plugged in and his past experience apparently told him the light would go out without starting the engine, it didn't. Went inside and the printout showed the same code as before. When I left it was in bright sunshine and difficult to tell if the light was on or not, made the U--turn to head towards home and the light was out. Still not sure if it was from plugging in the reader or hitting ~ 130 miles since sensor installation. I guess I'll just go to inspection and see what happens.
You should be fine now, O2 and OBD II ready cycles are finicky. I've had them where they turn off instantly, and others when I've had 5-6 drive cycles of 50+ miles on each before the CEL goes out. If its out now I'd go as fast as I could to inspection and get it done haha.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Make sure you make a good drive and let it idle while you go in , heard that's key in that testing. I never dealt with it, probably just avoid states with the b.s testing. It's ok for factory's to use energy and pollute 6 million times more than all cars running at once to produce a bunch of shit we don't need. Or take a pill that cause brain infection and bone loss, god forbid someone burns a hog leg! Im rambling again. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Upstream O2 sensor on a 2001 G20. I've got the connector off the metal bracket and I'll be damned if I can separate the halves. The harness side has a green tab that I've tried pressing down and lifting up with no joy. I don't want to force anything, can someone tell me what I need to do to release the connector?
I also had the same problem yesterday haha, had to pull it off hard

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You should be fine now, O2 and OBD II ready cycles are finicky. I've had them where they turn off instantly, and others when I've had 5-6 drive cycles of 50+ miles on each before the CEL goes out. If its out now I'd go as fast as I could to inspection and get it done haha.

Well, it sailed thru inspection 11 days ago and the light's still out. I think it's time for a Guinness and to thank my pal Murphy for apparently taking a few days off. :cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts