Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OEM MT Fluid?????????

Hey All, I am getting a new tranny put in my vehicle today and was wondering what the oem mt fluid specs are? I remember reading somewhere that some MT's ask for AT fluid but I wasnt certain if it was the case for the p10's. Also, what are your reccomendations for a synthetic mt fluid other than red line? I was thinking about royal purple or the castrol product. Thanx.

·
Premium Member
11,585 Posts
MrFancypants said:
Well, a quart is 4 pints you silly sod!

You dont buy fluids in pints, so I gave it to him in units he can actually purchase at the store :lol:

- Greg -
Litres here m8...

WarrenG20 said:
So does anyone have any specific products that they use and can you tell me your experiences with them?
Redline MT90 is supposed to be one of the best..

·
Registered
663 Posts
I have Motyl gear oil, semi-syn, appently better for old boxes then the MOTUL 300 Gear oil, 75W90 FULLY synthetic. But I will
go for the fully syn next time...

Mike

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Im going with REDLINE Heavy Shockproof gear oil. My friend has it on his b13 with a t25 and pushes his car car almost everyday.....so far he hasnt had an bad experience yet with it

·
Registered
326 Posts
Came across this thread today.
Is it safe to change the oil in the gearbox if the car has 235K miles on it?
My manual transmission is difficult to put into gear at 1st and 2nd sometimes, and I am interested in changing the transmission oil. (Someone once told me it was a bad idea to stir up whatever metal and gunk had accumulated in the gearbox over the years, but recently another person said that just goes for Automatic transmissions, not manual transmissions.)

·
Administrator
5,852 Posts
Came across this thread today.
Is it safe to change the oil in the gearbox if the car has 235K miles on it?
My manual transmission is difficult to put into gear at 1st and 2nd sometimes, and I am interested in changing the transmission oil. (Someone once told me it was a bad idea to stir up whatever metal and gunk had accumulated in the gearbox over the years, but recently another person said that just goes for Automatic transmissions, not manual transmissions.)
I would change it, I change mine once a year but I road race mine so I drain to inspect and pull any shavings. I'm not sure I've ever heard anyone say that, but ultimately a good drain and flush can't hurt. What I do in a full flush scenario (if I'm working on a car with a new-to-me transmission) is drain the transmission, fill with ATF (yes, ATF), fire the car up and run through the gears with the front still up, putting light throttle into the car. You only need enough run time to run fluid through each part of the stack, then shut it down (motor doesn't even get hot). ATF is VERY sticky and will grab many contaminates that is left behind by old nasty oil. Drain the ATF and replace with good new fluid.

·
Registered
20,793 Posts
Yeah only automatics rely on friction in the fluid to keep going. MT change away!

Be sure to use GL4 though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Great advice! Thank you both for the info. I had been thinking I just had to accept that the gearbox would eventually fail and even quicker if I changed the oil in it. Hah! I appreciate the tips.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Would you recommend synthetic MT oil over non-synthetic oil? (If so, which oil?) I don't race or do anything more aggressive than going faster than I should on the highway sometimes. But no aggressive shifting.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts