Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 147 Posts

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, here it is, as promised. the official quit smoking now discussion thread.

how did I do it? i followed these simple steps.

1. GET READY!

a. stop buying cigarettes. set a quit date in advance - plan it out.

b. throw everything away. ashtrays, cigarettes, matches, lighters, empty

cartons/boxes, etc. by that date.

c. make a list - of how quitting can help improve your life. the money you save,

the things you can do without stopping for a cigarette, and how much better your

health will be. i spent 30 minutes meditating and writing it all down on a sheet of

paper.

d. if you've tried before, try to think and learn about what went wrong before in

the past, and use it now to help you quit.

2. GET SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT!

a. i told everyone i knew in advance that i was quitting smoking. i called my

parents up halfway across the world, posted in all the internet forums, and even

told everyone at work. if your friends still smoke, tell them never to mention it

to you again. if you live with smokers, tell them to either join you or not to

smoke around you.

b. sign up for a smoker's group or program, anywhere. they are out there, and a lot

of them are free.

3. LEARN NEW SKILLS AND BEHAVIORS!

a. instead of a cigarette, try going on a walk, work harder/faster, take deep

breaths, but best of all - use nicotine gum or lozenges.

b. have something you can put in your mouth - healthy though. a pen, carrot sticks,

fat free popcorn, etc.

c. dealing with withdrawal - have plenty to drink and cut caffiene in the morning

and evening. try to relax and stretch often, or try the best of all - excercise. i

joined a gym.

d. the #1 thing that helped me was to KEEP BUSY!

4. GET THE MEDICINE!USE IT PROPERLY!

a. i got the gum. anytime i wanted to smoke, i popped one in. chew until it

tingles, then pack it in my cheek. when the tingle stops, i chew it again. i repeat

for about 10-15 minutes total. craving goes away. aside from gums, there are also

lozenges and patches. i chose gum so that there'd be something in my mouth and i'd

be physically doing something. it costs about as much as a carton of cigarettes,

but lasts much longer. i chewed 6-8 times initially, now i'm down to 1-2 a day, if

at all.

5. STAY SMOKE FREE!

a. smoke free means smoke free. have the discipline to never touch it again. when i

was little i had the mindset of "eww! i'm never going to do that!". i remembered

that promise to myself, remembered how i felt about it, and it is the mindset i am

currently restoring in my head.

b. stay healthy - stress is one of the top resons why people say they smoke - try

replacing it with excercise or a hobby! something more productive than smoking. i

got wrenching on my nova and joined a gym!

c. remember the list you wrote in step #1? check it out! also think about smoother

skin, healthier lungs, and whiter teeth and better breath - not to mention smelling

a lot better!

i had the once-in-a-blue-moon cigarette since mid college, but i didn't start

buying my own till i started working in new york. i felt like it was my only way

out when working 70 to 90 hours a week in a basement. what really didn't help was

everyone there smoked. to make it even worse than that, when i moved to georgia, i

had nothing to do. i was out on summer vacation from school, i was waiting for my

reassignment to my new post at work, the nova was just sitting around, and i was

just home alone all day and didn't know anyone in georgia. so what did i do? i'll

admit it - i sat on my fat ass and smoked and drank non stop morning till night.i

got over that with better habits, and i finally got my reassignment. i have tried

quitting when i first moved (may 2004) and when the nova project picked up (august

2004) but failed both times.

fast foward to march 21st, 2005. that day was my quit day. i've thrown everything

away, told everyone i was quitting, and had been chewing the gum for a few days by

then. i was part of a quitting group via the phone on the back of the nicotine gum

box, and

fast foward to today, april 6, 2005. i'm still smoke free, and doing really well. i

guess since i haven't been smoking long (1.5 years seriously) it's not as hard for

me. i'm down to 1-2 pieces of gum per day, if any.

most of my information is derived from:

http://www.philipmorrisusa.com/en/quitassist/index_flash.asp

if this post helps even just one person quit, i've done good. :)

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
here is the countdown i used:

5 Days Before Your Quit Date
Think about your reasons for quitting.
Tell your friends and family you are planning to quit.
Stop buying cigarettes.

4 Days Before Your Quit Date
Pay attention to when and why you smoke.
Think of other things to hold in your hand instead of a cigarette.
Think of habits or routines to change.

3 Days Before Your Quit Date
What will you do with the extra money when you stop buying cigarettes?
Think of who to reach out to when you need help.

2 Days Before Your Quit Date
Buy the nicotine patch or nicotine gum.
Or see your doctor to get the nicotine inhaler, nasal spray, or the non-nicotine pill.

1 Day Before Your Quit Date
Put away lighters and ashtrays.
Throw away all cigarettes and matches.
Clean your clothes to get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke.

Quit Day!

·
Registered
127 Posts
does weed count? haha jk

Its easy for me to quit, if a gf says " u better quit smoking or no more sex" THen i say " okay, im quitting NOW"

·
I met Gate Cat
4,436 Posts
Good thread man... as I will be trying to quit before my daughter's birthday which is on Cinco de Mayo...

Boy oh boy, it sure is a bitch... :sleep:

·
Registered
597 Posts
Thats a good way to do it, for your kid/kids, but you need to do it for yourself too. Make sure YOU are healthy so you can see you child/children grow up with a lower risk of health complications from smoking, and after a month you feel like a new man/woman. it really is the best thing you can do for yourself.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Hey man congratulations... I can say for myself that i'd like to quit smoking one day too but its kinda tough to finish the last step. I've already stopped buying packs and usually grub off my friends. It's not all that bad tho since I really only have like 2 - 5 cigarettes a day. Weekdays I'll have one in between my first break in class and one after my last class. I'll usually grab one off of my smoking buddies and yea I attribute it to stress. It also sucks to go out to bars on weekends cuz there's nothing to do but drink and smoke. I plan to switch things up in the future tho... nice thread

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah the hardest thing is getting to day one. it's all about willpower. do you want to stop? if the answer is yes, throw it all out and just say no. get the gum, chew it, and tell everyone you know you're quitting, even if you haven't talked to them in a while. me and my g/f did it, and we're both going on one month, and we haven't felt better. i know you will too :)

·
Registered
597 Posts
being smoke free is the best feeling ever, a natural high, if you drink then stop that for a week too, or stop both all together

·
I met Gate Cat
4,436 Posts
hiimj0ne said:
Good thread man... as I will be trying to quit before my daughter's birthday which is on Cinco de Mayo...
GFD, i'm still smoking it's been 2 years since i've posted in this thread. It's seriously a bad addiction. I need to start thinking about my health so I can watch my daughter grow. I'm setting a date, 04-06-07. There it is.

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good for you.

UPDATE: my g/f finally decided to quit two weeks ago sunday. so far, she's doing pretty good. quit on the spot and she's using some gum. only thing that pisses me off is that it took oprah talking about smoking to get her to quit, after i spent the past 3 years nagging her about it :bored:

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pm me your phone number and i will yell at you to quit too. FTW! :asian:

+ rofl at the tom cruise killing oprah! rofl....

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
i grew up with my mom smoking and i hated the smell of smoke so i never touched them unless i was drop down drunk.

i have however stopped drinking beer, going on three weeks now and it's pretty good. i still crave, but then after the craving passes, i feel pretty good and have more energy at night. i used to drink like 3 beers and then just want to go to bed at like 8 or 9 every night.

all i can say is that the craving will pass and then it's all good. if anyone needs someone to talk them out of it lighting one up, or lifting up a drink, just IM me and i will chat until the craving passes. that's all i can offer peeps

·
WCMIII/SR2012 FLAKER
5,201 Posts
I stop smokin on the 27th of last month & last friday I got hit hard with alot of work & I wanted a smoke o-soo bad... :dead:

Worst thing of all is that I still have a unopend pack of Parliament lights in my p10t & last wknd my brother came back from his vacation in Mexico got me a carton of MDM Marlboro Wides & they are sitting atop of my entertainmet center next to my DirecTV receiver. :knockout:

·
WCMIII/SR2012 FLAKER
5,201 Posts
burningsquirrels said:
just throw that shit away.
I cant coz them Parliaments were buy 1 get 2 free & the Mexican (not Knockoffs from China) Marlboro Wides were given to me by my brother.

& besides I got alot of family members that smoke, so I just give them away to them...:thumbsup:

·
USPSA M/Pro
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
holy wtfzoor, the dude is on the right, and i thought it was mirrored, then the plate is correct. then there's a big dixie on top! haha awesome...

1 - 20 of 147 Posts