Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
kinda dumb question but, do all G20's use the same oil filters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
I think all SR20DEs do. You can go to your Infiniti dealer to get the OEM filter with the handy valve in it that lets it fill with oil on its own, or you can go to your Nissan dealer and get the same exact filter for a couple dollars less. In that case: say your car is a 200SX or something.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,409 Posts
FF Drifter said:
I think all SR20DEs do. You can go to your Infiniti dealer to get the OEM filter with the handy valve in it that lets it fill with oil on its own, or you can go to your Nissan dealer and get the same exact filter for a couple dollars less. In that case: say your car is a 200SX or something.
Nope, there is actually more than 1 oil filter for the SR20 motor. The Sentra and NX share one filter and the 200sx has another type that's slightly smaller, IIRC. Here's the two different part numbers:
15208-53J00 (P10, and B13)
15208-65F00 (B14, and I think the P11)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,452 Posts
Oh OK. Thanks for clearing that up. "You learn something new everyday.":knockout:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Don't forget that the 15208-9E000 is a long-cartridge variant of the 15208-65F00. Courtesy also lists a part number 15208-00006 for B15 applications, which I can only assume is also the right filter for a P11/RR.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,266 Posts
PS:If you do go to the Nissan Dealer and they ask you what car you have, DON'T tell them it's for a G20. Some Nissan dealers turn really cold and say, "We don't have/sell parts for Infinitis. You'll have to go to your infiniti dealer for that.":-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
MR. RYTE said:
DON'T tell them it's for a G20.
Yea, I always own a '94 SE-R. Hehehe! Well, almost always. Most of the parts are interchangeable, BUT not all.

There is only one guy there, Toby, who thinks it's cool that I am getting parts from them for my G20.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
Wow, this is fun. :D

Okay, so one thing that Nissan does nicely is make almost-human-readable part numbers. For instance, just about every part for a high-port ('91-94 in the US) SR20DE engine ends in -53J00. "53J" happens to be the block casting of at least the high-port engines. Most GTi-R parts end in -54C00. Can you guess what the block casting is on an 'R? It's 54C.

For instance, the oil filter for an early engine is 15208-53J00. This is a very different filter from the B14 filter, 15208-65F00 (I wonder if your filters changed in '94). I have no idea wtf a 65F block is, though. Then there's the 15208-9E000, which is threaded like the "F00", but has a longer cartridge. From this information, we can make an educated guess that any part number starting 15208- is an filter, if not an oil filter, eh? Or is it that this prefix has to do with the oiling system?

This filter idea seems to work, as the 15208-00006 and 15208-00001 are the part numbers that seem to be replacing the old parts Courtesy's online catalog. Better living through cross-referencing, brought to you by CowboyDren. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
JustinP10 said:


Nope, there is actually more than 1 oil filter for the SR20 motor. The Sentra and NX share one filter and the 200sx has another type that's slightly smaller, IIRC. Here's the two different part numbers:
15208-53J00 (P10, and B13)
15208-65F00 (B14, and I think the P11)

im asking because i have a 93.5 with the 15208-53J00 on it right now, and i was sent the wrong ones: the 15208-65F00. can i use either filter on my engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
No, the F00 is a different thread than the J00. It's possible, and many people have tried (despite the fact that one threading onto the other even feels wrong), but the first time you get onto it too hard, you'll blow the filter right off of it's threads. Nasty.

You know, if you'd just explained the situation in your original message, we'd have answered the question a long time ago... ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
710 Posts
paradyme said:
I use the K&N oil filter........pick em up at Advanced Auto Parts, around $9.00 bucks.

Damnn! expensivoo...the OEM is like $5.50 and it has a check valve type thingie in it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,266 Posts
Not all oil filters are created equal, some have a special valve that keeps oil in the filter when the pressure is relived, while others don't. Why is this a big deal? Because during startup if the filter is 'dry' you have to fill it up BEFORE you get oil pressure in the rest of the engine. Nissan's OEM filter does provide this valve while others don't.
Are there any other brands of oil filters that have this special valve? I need to change my oil soon and I'd prefer not to go to the dealer for the oil filter.:-\
 

·
G20.net Founder
Joined
·
2,110 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

Are there any other brands of oil filters that have this special valve? I need to change my oil soon and I'd prefer not to go to the dealer for the oil filter.:-\
Why not? They (nissan filter) are probably the best filter for the money. You could go with a Mobile 1 filter, which I hear are quite good, but they are expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,266 Posts
G-Forces said:

Why not? They (nissan filter) are probably the best filter for the money. You could go with a Mobile 1 filter, which I hear are quite good, but they are expensive.
Just wondering, that's all. :rolleyes:
The Nissan dealerships here in San Antonio charge $8.00+ for the Infinit......er.......200sx oil filters.:-\
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,120 Posts
MR. RYTE said:

The Nissan dealerships here in San Antonio charge $8.00+ for the ... oil filters.:-\
:confused:

Should be less than $5 a piece. That is ridiculous. I pick mine up 3 at a time and they give me even more discount. Like $4.38 each orsomething.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,266 Posts
NismoPC said:


:confused:

Should be less than $5 a piece. That is ridiculous. I pick mine up 3 at a time and they give me even more discount. Like $4.38 each orsomething.


:-\ Yeah I know. That's what pisses me off about it. And if I get it online, I'd also have to pay fo shipping/handling, which would make it MORE expensive than the local stealer.:tired:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
oil filters here in ct at like decomier nissan and gates gmc nissan go for around 5-6 bucks..

but im a sobby sort and i hate the rattle that the OEM seems to prodce at 4600 rpms.. where as the mobil 1 filter i had actually did not have the same rattle.. there is something unnerving about driving 100 mph and hear" screach!!"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,320 Posts
I've never heard any noise from an oil filter that was properly installed...
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top