Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changing my oil at the weekend going over to synthetic.What do you all reckon mobil 1,magnetec or amsoil.

·
Registered
5,733 Posts
Can you?

Going Synthetic is a good thing. Make sure you use an engine cleaner/treatment before the change. And make sure you never use/mix regular (organic) with synthetic after the change (maybe the synthetic blends). I strongly suggest Valvoline. To my experience, it works marvel on the engine. From what you've pointed out, I'd also suggest Mobil 1. My buddy uses it o his Accord and he's far from complaining. ;) My two cents!

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
I've run both Mobil 1 and Royal Purple in this car since I bought it. As for the engine flush I'd be hesitant to recommend one. Read up on the se-r mailing list archives. www.se-r-list.org/archives There have been a lot of debates about the engine flushes, many people say yes, many others say no. Also with a relatively new motor you really shouldn't have enough crud to warrant a flush, you should just be able to let your car drain really well, maybe just buy an extra bottle of the new oil and pour it through before you put the drain plug back in just to help wash out any remaining older oil.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for advise justin,i think i will go for the mobil1.My engine has only done 34000 m,so don't think it will need a flush.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Flush and Mixing

You don't need to flush anything in order to use synthetic. In the old days you used to drain the oil and run kerosene through the crankcase till it came out clear and that was considered a flush. The new "flush" stuff that you buy that goes into the crankcase and then drain it is probably nothing more. As long as you change the oil regularly you shouldn't need to flush an engine with so few miles on it. As far as mixing synthetic and non-synthetic oils, that's not that big of a deal. These oil's here like Quaker State 4x4 and Castrol whatever it's called "blend" are just half synthetic and half regular oil. Selling these to consumers is called "segmenting the market" in sales speak to increase revenues. If you want to go to synthetic then by all means do so, but if you happen to mix some together with the regular, no worries. I switched to full synthetic at 25k mi. and I did not flush or do anything specific. I have done this on all of the other cars that I have owned as well.

Cheers!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I said it in another post a while back, but I've just switched to magnatec. I'm quite pleased with the result (though thats probably due to switching to optimax the same day), and if you believe the sales talk, it should decrease engine wear.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Synthetic

Is Synthetic that good? I was under the assumption that Synthetic in OLDER cars (like my 94) can be bad and make your seals leak, and other horror stories. So maybe you guys can help answer a few questions.

What makes Synthetic any better?

Can Synthetic oil RUIN my engine in any way?

What do they add to or do to oil to make it synthetic or is it really not oil (as in from the ground based)?

Thx

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
:confused:

synthetic:
a (1) : of, relating to, or produced by chemical or biochemical synthesis; especially : produced artificially <synthetic drugs> <synthetic silk> (2) : of or relating to a synfuel b : devised, arranged, or fabricated for special situations to imitate or replace usual realities c : FACTITIOUS, BOGUS

: something resulting from synthesis rather than occurring naturally; especially : a product (as a drug or plastic) of chemical synthesis

·
Registered
429 Posts
a (1) : of, relating to, or produced by chemical or biochemical synthesis; especially : produced artificially <synthetic drugs> <synthetic silk> (2) : of or relating to a synfuel b : devised, arranged, or fabricated for special situations to imitate or replace usual realities c : FACTITIOUS, BOGUS

O'cmon man I know what synthetic MEANS...What I am trying to find out is what its MADE from.

Is it Crushed Rubber, Dead Pigeons what? Is it synthetic to the point were it IS oil or is it water based etc etc...These type of things I want to know. K? Thanks! :smoke:

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Sorry. I thought it was humerous.:p

Here is what Mobil has on their site:
Conventional oils come from crude oil that is pumped from the ground. Crude oil is made up of a twisted and jumbled mass of carbon atoms that form chains and rings of different sizes and shapes. Long chains of carbon atoms produce a thick viscous fluid that flows slowly. Shorter chains produce fluid that flows more readily.

In an oil refinery, crude oil is separated into various stocks. These become the basis for lubricating oils and fuels. Thick tangled masses of carbon chains become asphaltic materials used in roofing tar and road work. Very short chains and ring compounds of carbon are volatile and can be refined to produce gasoline and other solvents.

While petroleum refining is an advanced science, small amounts of contaminants, such as sulfur, reactive hydrocarbons and other materials cannot be completely removed from petroleum, and may end up in motor oil base stocks.

All motor oils are made up of base oils and additives. In general, fully synthetic motor oils contain non-conventional, high-performance fluids, such as polyalphaolefins (PAOs). Semi-synthetic oils (also called "blends") usually use a small percentage of non-conventional, high-performance fluids in combination with conventional oil.

To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1® uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Is Synthetic that good? I was under the assumption that Synthetic in OLDER cars (like my 94) can be bad and make your seals leak, and other horror stories. So maybe you guys can help answer a few questions.

What makes Synthetic any better?

Can Synthetic oil RUIN my engine in any way?

You may see some increase in fuel mileage by using synthetic, but it's not guaranteed. One of the benefits to using synthetic is that it's lubricating ability does not break down as much as regular oil. As far as seals, it doesn't make them leak, but if you do have leaks it will exacerbate that problem. That's probably why you have heard that it isn't recommended for older cars. It will not ruin car's engine in any way. One word to the wise though, synthetics tend to be better at suspending contaminants in the oil itself and giving the filter a better chance to get them out of suspension. This usually means that you need to change the oil filter more often than you otherwise might.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Icudie said:

Is it Crushed Rubber, Dead Pigeons what? Is it synthetic to the point were it IS oil or is it water based etc etc...These type of things I want to know. K? Thanks! :smoke:
Zebra Cum...seriosuly read the back of the bottle :)

Well i just switched over to Mobil 1 supersyn after 85k of running on dinosaur oil and no problems here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts