Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...well, before I start adding aftermarket stuff.

The AC system has a small leak -- has had it for a couple years. After a lot of diagnostics, the mechanic that my mom took the car to when it was hers said that the problem is a leaky compressor.

I bought a new compressor from Nelson, but am a bit apprehensive about installing it. I have never done anything with the AC system before and I don't know what's involved. Who has replaced a compressor before? Is it difficult to get the fittings off? Do I have to deal with the oil in the system? The system should not be charged right now because of the leak.

I asked the same mechanic how much it would be it install the new compressor and charge the system, and he said $350 (!).

Thanks for any help/advice you can give.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Its easy as hell just get new O-rings when re-installing the compressor. The take the car back to the shop for a vacuum and fill(freon). Vacuum and fill should be no more than $80-$100.

Do a search for alot of info.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ERIKbronx said:
Vacuum and fill should be no more than $80-$100.
Shit, that's a lot. Can I just get one of those recharge kits? The car is converted to R134a.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
You can. I do it all the time. But if the compressor is new dont do it. If its used, its up to u... The proper way is to vacuum out all the air for at least 45 minutes, and fill with freon, while maintaining a vacuumed seal. There a machine shops have to do all that in one shot.

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is a used compressor.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
If you really want to do it right, you need to replace the reciever/dryer as well, since the system is going to be open. I'd highly suggest taking it to a shop, because having the charge done with the machine will ensure proper vacuum and level of freon.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
thefultonhow said:
Shit, that's a lot. Can I just get one of those recharge kits? The car is converted to R134a.
Holy crap ........... You can't have AC ........ Your not worthy ......... Infact somone take his car off him & make him drive a oldsmobile :beard:

·
Used to own a P10
5,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
J..M said:
Holy crap ........... You can't have AC ........ Your not worthy ......... Infact somone take his car off him & make him drive a oldsmobile :beard:
Wait, I am not worthy because I don't want to spend lots of money if I don't have to? I thought that was just being sensible.

I will check out the receiver/dryer. I will also read up on the procedure in my FSM.

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
AC gas is greakin dangerious shit dude ....... Anyways that aside ....... Its a good £95 ($187)here to get a vacc out & recharge @ Nissan....... so the Quoted $100 (£50) is fek all money & well worth it

1 - 10 of 10 Posts