other then
headers
intake
pullies
exhaust
turbo
cams
nos
advanced timing (dont like the idea much)
what else can i do to my car to make it faster. Any more boltons that i dont know of? What about port and polish...i know you can do that in gt3 on playstation..what about in real life. I dont really want a turbo..to much maintence so yea i want to know my other options. If you can please list the price and expected gainss..that would be great
thanks
holla bak
nik

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Myinfinitig20 said:
other then
headers
intake
pullies
exhaust
turbo
cams
nos
advanced timing (dont like the idea much)
what else can i do to my car to make it faster.
Since you pretty much listed everything, my suggestion would be to sell your car and buy a big block Chevy Camaro or Ford Mustang. That's about the only other option.

:lol:

What are you trying to achieve? Since you listed all of the options above, are you not wanting to do any of those or have you already done all of them except for the Turbo according to your post? Their are performance intake plenums out there that net some performance. Thye are quite expensive. That's about it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
That's basicly it with bolt on mods. You can't really do much more to your car to get it to go any faster expect if you port and polish, raise the compression, get lighter valves valve springs. All those would cost a lot of money and unless your building a race car they make no sense to do. Or you could always buy a TODA racing sr20de those are nice to, but then you can't drive on the street anymore.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Port and Polish

well for port and polish you would have to remove the head off of the engine and either have it sent off to a machine shop faimiliar with the sr20 or do it yourself , last one i did myself i did boath the intake and eaxaust side and port matched boath too , wasnt till i was done that i found out that that for street cars you only want the intake side done , butr the shiracco was a race car so it didnt matter in the end . it doesnt free up that much horsepower , its not like a rotary where you go in and mess with the ports and free up power , porting is only worth in the neiborhood of 5-10 hp max on piston cars

·
Registered
233 Posts
Re: Port and Polish

stoneage_tech said:
porting is only worth in the neiborhood of 5-10 hp max on piston cars

I assume you mean on 4 cylinder piston engines. My 351 V8 Lightning Dynoed almost 30hp increase after having the heads ported and pollished was faster at the track, although I don't recall the exact time improvement.

Maybe the SR20DE's intake and exhaust ports are already smoother than most anyway? Hence the minor gain in hp?

·
G20.net Founder
2,110 Posts
You could toss it off a cliff. It's free and would go really, really fast...only once though. ;)

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
PDX-G20 said:
Can you use the Pistons out of a NA 300 Z ? Will this raise the compression ?
No. The pistons are a different size and would require some serious time, effort, and money. So on second thought, yes. But no.

If I'm not mistaken, the Zs did NOT have a higher compression than the P10s. Some Zs were turbo, which usually means it would inherently have a LOWER compression than a n/a car. I think you can find higher compression pistons from another SR20 though... maybe a JDM motor?

·
Registered
233 Posts
You could take the head to a machine shop and have it milled (check limits first). This could raise compression.

·
Registered
222 Posts
30???

"I assume you mean on 4 cylinder piston engines. My 351 V8 Lightning Dynoed almost 30hp increase after having the heads ported and pollished was faster at the track, although I don't recall the exact time improvement."

havent seen gains like that in a long time ,seems to me haeds are more efficent nowadays..... didnt it come with GT40 heads ? always thought they flowed very well stock , ive always heard that heads on my vette are the huge limiting factor , but id have to replace the whole head set to gain what you got on port and polish ,30 hp sound amazing on something that new. its the older 351 lightning right ?not the new OHC, blower lightning ?

wouldn't higher compression reqire premuiim fuel and dffirent timeing and fuel injection stratagies ?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Right, it's the normally aspirated 351 V8. No supercharger (yet).
It does have GT40 heads and GT40 upper and lower intake. The ports are large but rough AND don't match up exactly to the size of the intake runners when stock. Basically, the 93/95 lightning engine is a bunch of Ford motorsport parts slapped together with a LOT of room for tuning and fitting. Heck, the factory hp spec for 93/95 was only 240! Please... 5.8 litres of performance parts can do much better. I think I've had my hands on every bolt on that truck. I am the original owner by the way.

I've always wanted a Vette. A Chevy small block can be pretty hot for very little money and looking out the windshield over those fenders with your butt 10 inches off the ground is a cool feeling (have driven a few). Unfortunately, a 2 seater car just won't work in my current lifestyle.

Since I've been driving I have owned a 69 Dodge GTS, 67 SS El Camino, 65 GTO and finally the Lightning. Of course there are a lot of other cars mixed in there but they aren't very interesting.

·
Registered
222 Posts
hmm

sounds like my kind of truck , tons o potential...

vette is tons of fun to drive , love the fenders coming up halfway down that long ass hood , almost like your a crab hung on to the back of a stingray's tail as its swimming along , pun intended

t -tops off side pipes on , 350 at full song, stirring the gears with that awesome M-21 4 speed, life isnt much beatter , im afriad to say the G20 doesnt come close , i doubt the turbo will change anything there either but thats part of a japanese car , its soul-less , and soul-less will get you to work everyday , not putting the G down , been a awesome car and contrary to what some people say its a great handler , and will get you into trouble if you dont pay attention

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
damn thats it.... i mean in the begging i thought all their was , was intake and exhaust. Then as time and time past i found out about headers, pullies, advanced timing, cams, nos etc.. i was just wondering what else i didnt know.
What about the flywheel..what is that and can it give me hp gains?

·
Registered
102 Posts
But if u don't go with that modified the car won't go fast if u only change the det engine o^o so ... it's all depend on u wheather change ur car or .....go eat shit

·
Registered
80 Posts
flywheel

Stillen might have a lighter flywheel for the g20?? I heard it increases throttle response and improves acceleration, especially in the lower gears. Dunno bout actual power gain tho.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A lightened flywheel won't give you any horsepower, however it will allow the engine to rev quicker, thus imporving your accelleration. On turbo engines, it will allow you to rev off some turbo lag and get to the upper rpm's quicker.

My 2c.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
PDX-G20 said:
Can you use the Pistons out of a NA 300 Z ? Will this raise the compression ?

It requires the cylinders to be bored 1mm over.

The 300ZX pistons will yeild approx 11:1. If you mill the domes flat you will get 10:1.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Geo said:

The 300ZX pistons will yeild approx 11:1. If you mill the domes flat you will get 10:1.

Whoa... 11:1 is pretty high for a street car. Is the pump gas today (93 octane) good enough to keep it from rattling itself apart?

What's the compression on a stock SR20DE (in a G) and what is the maximum compression that would be compatible with a turbo?

:crosseyed

·
Registered
222 Posts
umm

i think stock compression for my G is 9.5:1
turbo is between 8:1 and 8.5:1 i belive
from what i have picked up on here i should be able to run my turbo on my 9.5:1 Sr20 with no problems as long as i dont go above 7 psi (or .5 bar???)

the 2001+ celica GTS has 11:1 compression and i belive it ran on 87 octaine , i know the compression is right just cant be sure on octaine , such a nice engine too ,180hp yamaha built 4cyl (yamaha did the SHO taurus too) , just too bad the celica doesnt produce the numbers it should with that engine

1 - 20 of 20 Posts