Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Warning long)
Well, on my way to campus today my car started to overheat about a 1/2 mile from campus (it's a decent drive there, maybe 10 miles). It was all of a sudden, and the gauge only went about 3/4 of the way until i noticed it. It didn't peg, just sorta started to creep up. So i quickly turned off the A/C (it's still hot and now humid in AZ in the mornings :-\ ) and the heater goes on full blast. The car dropped right back to normal operating temp (per the gauge) almost instantly. Left the heater on half way (full heat, setting 2) the rest of the short drive to the parking garage and it didn't rise up after that. Well I had to make it to class so I just left it and figured i'd look when i got back to my car. Survived my classes and went to check out my car. Looked for a plastic bag or something else obstructing the radiator. Couldnt' find anything :*( Then i checked the coolant, sorta low in the resevior, but there was still a hair left at the bottom.. damn, I must have let air into the system. Filled it up with some water i had in the car and started the drive home (very carefully), minus A/C. Got about 80% of the way home and the temp gauge once again started to rise... damn. So i again blast the heater, it goes back down to normal and I baby it the rest of the way home. I get home and pop the hood. First thing i notice, the radiator house out of the motor is VERY VERY hot along with the radiator, however the coolant hose coming out the radiator going into the T-stat housing isn't warm at all, just the same as any wires or plastic lines in the engine bay. Hmm... clogged T-stat or bad radiator. I call up the local Infiniti dealer and purchase a new thermostat. Get home, let the car cool down more. Drain the fluid and everything is draining ok, radiator seems to be fine, no blockages inside... good thing. I replace the thermostat and apply new gasket goop and let everything set up. I refill the car with half a bottle of water wetter added to a combo of 85% water/15% coolant. Bleed the system as per the FSM... everything seems fine. Sitting in the carport with the A/C on and the car isn't overheating. SWEET! =) I take it out for a test drive. Very careful at first making sure to check everything all the time. Still ok. =) So I head for the interstate and blast down the onramp, still ok. SWEET! =) Couldn't get the car to overheat.

It looks like I fixed the problem for under $20 total (my old bottle of water wetter that i had laying around, and the new thermostat)!!! Although traffic tomorrow afternoon will be the true test.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts