Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone else's g ride has the temp go up 3/4 when the a.c. is on full blast.
just noticed this yesterday..the fans do kick on/coolant system fresh :zoinks:
w/out the a.c. on the car's temp is great 1/2 all the time :teeth:

ive been sugg. 2 things..

high temp thermostat/nismo radiator cap :throwup:

·
Registered
906 Posts
My temp stays in the middle even with a/c on. Its been humid here lately so i've been using a/c a lot. Although I usually turn the a/c off at stop lights because my motor mounts are shot, so when the compressor kicks in it really jerks the motor around.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Different thermostat and radiator cap will do nothing. If you put a lower temp thermostat in, then the car will run too cold most of the time and both performance, emissions, and gas mileage will suffer. Using a higher pressure radiator cap is a sure way to start blowing seals and creating leaks, especially in an older car.
If it were my car I would make sure first that the cooling system is properly bled of all air. Next I would replace the thermostat and radiator cap with OEM spec replacements (cheap). Make sure both fans are coming on when you turn on the A/C.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
make sure there is no debrit in the condensor o (IE leaves) also try and straighten any bent fins on the condensor.. any bent fins, trash (leaves) between the condensor and radiator will drastically cut down on cooling.. next I would look to the radiator itself.. if your water has high mineral content the radiator could be plugged internally

·
Registered
494 Posts
You have to check the a/c system's high and low pressure, if the pressure is too high it will overheat the condensor and radiator causing your problem.
Both of my friends g20's w/ BB and tmic had a/c with no problems. So its prob not heat from the engine but from the a/c itself.

·
"says here on your chart"
4,607 Posts
Also, the more expensive problem might be the fan motors themselves. While they may be kicking on, they may not be running at full potential. this was the problem in my 92 G

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
turned her on today and no problem..drove the whole way home with the ice cold G ride on the second setting..hell i even cruised in traffic.. :stare:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Yea but drive with the 4th setting on and it will overheat again. Its the condenser thats not cooling enough then.

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
the condenser is somewhat air cooled, but its inline with the radiator so the fans pull the air thru that as well.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Yahnozha said:
the condenser is somewhat air cooled, but its inline with the radiator so the fans pull the air thru that as well.
In line with the radiator? So it is or isn't? Does it rely on that airflow? or is it just supposed to dissipate the heat?

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
mike_anaya said:
In line with the radiator? So it is or isn't? Does it rely on that airflow? or is it just supposed to dissipate the heat?
The condensor is a coil essentially, which works much like the radiator, but instead of raidator fluid, it's freon flowing through it... Air flow helps move the heat off of the coil.

This diagram is not G20 specific but it shows how it works...

basically you have a condensing coil, and a evap coil (or core), freon is compressed by the compressor, then flows through the condensing coil to cool it down some (becasue when Freon is compressed, it heats up), then from there, the freon flows through the accumulator (sometimes called a drier in HVAC), from there it goes into the evap coil (core) where it expands, and becomes cold, making the evap coil cold. it cycles through this way, keeping your evap coil cold. The air from your blower (for your vents) blows past the evap coil, cooling down as it blows by, hence, cool air coming out of your vents... :)

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
hey Im having this same problem. I have a 93 auto g20 and when I take long car rides on highway, and the AC is one, the needle starts creeping up on me. After I turn off the AC and maintain the same speed the needle goes back down. Any Ideas???

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
im going to try and wire up the fans constant to see if any changes..ill also clean up the area around the condensor

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
anyone know how to run the fans directly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i had the same problem last summer.while i was parked and my ac was on for about 20mins the temperature would start going up.wat i did was buy some gummout and spray the condensor inside and out and then blast the condensor with water...a hose with a high pressure setting..try to spray both sides of the condensor making sure you get all the debris out.ive had no problems ever since...so i agree with mustang dude!

·
Registered
84 Posts
my damn ac doesnt even click on.. I have 98GT and when I click the aircon button, the blue light comes on but nothing else happens.. no compressor kicking in or anything

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
will try that and report back--^^buy the inline gauge to test if theirs even any cool stuff in their..its 8.99 and 11 a can

·
Premium Member
11,383 Posts
you should be able to bypass the relay and have the fans run all the time.

as for the compressor, too much pressure or too little pressure will cause the compressor not to turn on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts