Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My check engine light is on, got it checked and the code came back as P0335 (Crankshaft Position Sensor). I got the light reset and it turned back on.

I have a 96' G20.

Do I need to buy a part? If I do, what is the part called and what will the cost run? Does it have to be fixed by the dealer?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay, looked at the service manual and located the part. It wasn't really snapped in place so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Turned on the car and the ec light still didn't go off. The thing is that the connector for the crankshaft position sensor is very dirty. Does it just need to be cleaned and then replugged? Do I need to unscrew it?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Clean the whole thing before replacing any parts. if too much oil or grease get around there somehow, then it make the light go off since the sensor cannot connect correctly to the harness. Also check the harness for short as between harness and ECM. If Harness is good then got to change the sensor. Also make sure ground engine screws are making connections and not cover in oil. They are kinda on the back side of where the valve cover is, close to middle on the side of the engine far away from front. Lose and tight them to make sure they are making connection.
The part you need to buy if the harness is good is called Knock Sensor. As far as the price the list price from dealer is about 170. If you make sure this what needs to be changed then you can buy it cheaper from Nissanparts.org. They sale original Nissan parts, same as you would buy from any infiniti dealer. They sale it for 130. Good luck.

·
Registered
590 Posts
EmilyK said:
Okay, looked at the service manual and located the part. It wasn't really snapped in place so I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Turned on the car and the ec light still didn't go off. The thing is that the connector for the crankshaft position sensor is very dirty. Does it just need to be cleaned and then replugged? Do I need to unscrew it?
I don't think it would hurt to try. To reset the ECU you can disconnect the battery for 30 minutes I believe. Or you on some models you can reset your ecu by turning a screw to the far left and then back to the right. Directions found here.

http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1992

You can also look at this link here to see if that may help you any.

http://lyberty.com/car/Maxima_A32_docs/EC-engine_control/NTB95-038.pdf

·
uruG 02G
7,417 Posts
Also, you may want to try and reset the ECU before jumping in any further (after you complete pmaadani's advice)... :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned the connectors. I also disconnected the battery, probably going to reset the ECU again later on. I also unscrewed the crankshaft position sensor to take a look. It is chipped but only the plastic part. Does it need to be replaced?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, reset the ECU after cleaning and the light did not come back on. Thanks for the consult.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyway, my light came back on after 40 miles. Does that mean I do need a new sensor? Should I order it online, the dealer, or go to a junkyard? Also, what a good price for it? (Does anyone happen to have one lying around??) Thanks.

·
P10 FTMFW!!!
2,489 Posts
I dont k now if you have to change it or not, but if you talk to Justin at EverythingG20.com when you do figure out whats up, he'll get you the best price on a new one.

Maybe p10det can chime in on if it needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I am almost sure you have to change it. Since it stayed off for a little while, it means the harness it doing what it is suppose to be doing.

·
CH0DEmobile
3,202 Posts
It's definitely time for a new one, but I'd be curious as to what caused it to break like that. I've got one on my parts car, assuming the one on my 92 is the same as the one on your 96.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Sooo, lets pretend you can't change the sensor cause there is no hole to plug it into. In other words you did a tranny swap and the new tranny doesn't have the sensor placement. Then what?

·
Pizdeet kak Trotsky
3,069 Posts
Remap anyone ? :beard:

·
Registered
796 Posts
Remap the ECU to ignore the sensor? Hmm... So does anyone do that within the span of 2 weeks? I came back from Hawaii (where they have no emissions test) to Northern VA (where they have emissions test) and have failed due to the ECU sending P0335...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts