Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a problem with my Girlfriend's '93 G20.

It shows classic signs of alternator failure, but the cause seems to be a broken wire or fuse.

Symptoms:
Battery and brake warning light on
ABS acting up

12V at battery

14.5-15V at alternator terminal

There seems to be discontinuity between the alternator and the battery. I tested the fuses under the dash and visually checked the fuses under the hood, they appear fine.

Does anybody have experience solving this problem and would be willing to shed some light?

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have experienced your description 2 times with my p10 and both were due to a faulty alternator...Get that done asap before your car will no longer run.

·
p10 guru
2,908 Posts
look in the factory service manual also for a fusible link between the alternator and the battery. i haven't look on my g20, but on my mustang the wire went directly from the alternator to the battery.

also, the battery and brake light will come on if the alternator is overcharging. mine was putting out 14.5 volts at idle but when you revved it up it would put out 17+ volts. check the voltage when you rev it up. and of course as mentioned check your battery terminals and clean them with a wire brush

·
Registered
462 Posts
true, true, just because you got 14-15 volt out of alt does not mean it is working right.
Had that problem with a brand new alt from autozone! Took it to the electrical shop and confirmed for 20 bucks alt rebuilder had messed up.
but since you seem to not have same amount of voltage at the battery as it leaves the alt, then check the wires with an ohm meter.
Good luck

·
Registered
37 Posts
Cleaning the battery terminals made this problem go away for me on my '95 for about a month, but the ultimate problem ended up being a bad alternator (which I'm about to go out to replace). When my battery finally hit its last legs, I measured the voltage (with the engine running) at 9.3V.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts