Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Internet Mechanic
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just in time for me to garage my p11 for the winter my p10 takes a crap. My dad had been driving it and here is a summary of what went down:

For the first time ever he had trouble starting it (clicking (maybe relay) noise coming from under dash, and engine didnt turn over at all, after holding the key to start for a few seconds, it started

the next night car drove to movies fine, and was completely dead after movie, me and my friend tried to push start it and pop the clutch, but it just wasnt happeding, when cluch poped, we got no engine starting at all, Jumped it with the p11 and it started fine and drove home. shut it off, and once again couldnt restart it

next day testing it out after it had been jumped again, as I am driving, Radio, abs light, and oil light all flash on and off as car feels like its going to stall, but that problem stops on and off with no reason

when car is dead, no electiricity at all, like not even dim headlights, but as soon as I jump it it seems ok.

left it in driveway yesterday and there was a distinct smell of a burning resistors, capacitor, or realy or something like that coming from the inside of the car

please help, my guess is a burnt out or sticky relay of some sort

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I believe your alternator has failed. Jump the car. With the engine running check the voltage at the battery. It should be 13.5 volts or higher. If you see just 12 volts or lower, then the alternator is not working.

If this has been going on for some time, and the battery is more than four years old, then you may need a new battery also, as well as a new alternator.

·
Internet Mechanic
2,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just got done troubleshooting, thanks jjacob, you were correct, I just put in a new alternator and battery and all is well, dont you love it when its a simple fix

thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts