Infiniti G20 Nissan Primera Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before the forums changed to the new format, someone had posted that there was an adapter that will fit the front speaker brackets of a P10 to allow use of 6.5" speakers with minimal modification. Does anyone know which adapter this is and where I can get it. As far as I remember, it was some part designed for a Chevy (Cavalier?). Also, what modifications are required to fit these? Thx in advance. :cool:

·
Registered
158 Posts
There was a thread like this already and I can't remember where here? I remember that it was bought at Best Buys! It depends
the size of your speakers magnet too. I was able to install a Boston Acoustics into the stock location, but it took me days to get it right. Try the spacers that someone tried it on their car to make your life easier. Keep searching here.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
I did this in my car and it is from Best buy and the 97 cavlier is the one that works .....

·
Registered
104 Posts
THE ANSWER

i found a diagram from automotive forums, go there for it

but the final truth is you can fit 6.5in in front, with no cutting of the metal door frame. go to best buy and ask for a 95-99 chevy cavalier 4x6 to 6.5in conversion plate. If you ask for help on a G20, they won't know anything about it.

Go find a post telling you how to remove the door panel, the 3 screws on bottom, 2 by the hinge, one on the side, and the one screw that you have to pop off the power window button.

Unscrew the mounting for the 4x6 speaker, you will need to put this on top of the 6.5in plate and mark the holes and edges on it. The chevy plate is too wide and the hole are in different places, that sucks, but you can work around it. Cut the plastic to the right size and drill the holes! Bingo, you can now screw this plate into the stock screw holes and the speaker will fit on the frame.

Only you need to clear the door panel. The speaker grill is plently big to find the 6.5", but there is a thin peice of vinyl you need to cut at the top of the speaker grill on the back fo the door panel. This will give room for you larger speakers.

Hook up the wires and screw back on the door, bingo, you got 6.5in in front. BTW, you can remove the black paper that prevens you from seeing through the grill. This allows everyone to see your tight new speakers!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unscrew the mounting for the 4x6 speaker, you will need to put this on top of the 6.5in plate and mark the holes and edges on it. The chevy plate is too wide and the hole are in different places, that sucks, but you can work around it. Cut the plastic to the right size and drill the holes! Bingo, you can now screw this plate into the stock screw holes and the speaker will fit on the frame.
Hey, guess what, I did it and took some pictures. Anyone want to see? It took a couple hours to do the first door and get it right, but now I should have the other one done real quick. Want some pics, let me know.

·
Registered
201 Posts
could you post those pics here.

thanks for the step by step indyinfinitidriver

·
Registered
155 Posts
pics please!

i am in the process of fitting 2 MB Quart speaker sets, 215 and 328. If i can fit a 6in speaker in the doors with little modification that would be great. I have already custom made a wood template that fits a 5 1/4 in speaker, but fock it, if i can fit a 6in, then that is what i would prefer to go with, so pics please!!! thanks

·
Registered
130 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
THANKS!

Those pics were very helpful man thanks.

did the door pannel fit back on with no modification??? If not, what did you have to do? How much did you pay for them? How much clearence is there between the back of the magnet and the window? I ask b/c I am trying to find out the maximum clearence that will fit with the cavalier plate....Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
where in the fock can i buy this shit????

i just went to best buy, circut city, and several other car sterio shops and not one of them sold conversion plates. Everyone said they got theirs at best buy, but they told me no, so....anyone buy them anywhere else, or know the manufacture of the plate??? I want to use this setup, but as of now, have no way of obtaining the plate....someone please help!

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
they are only like 15 bucks a pair.... if you want I buy and ship to you friom Miami..... you can paypal me ......

·
Registered
155 Posts
thanks

thanks for the offer, let me get back to you however, i have a few more places to check this week, and i found a shop that will make custom ones for $30, so it might not be worth it to ship from miami cause by the time i pay for the plates, shipping, and sum money to you for your trouble, i would be more than what i can get custom ones for, so if all else fails i will let you know man, thanks again though for the offer too, why does best buy sell em down there, but not in ny? Maybe some questions are not ment to be answered????

·
Registered
158 Posts
"the final truth is you can fit 6.5in in front, with no cutting of the metal door frame" yeah..., for most 6.5 speakers but don't say the final truth, because all speakers are not all made the same:asian: Unfortunately in my case, I had to cut a piece of metal because I have an irregular humongous magnet on my speakers :rolleyes: just to clarify that nothing is final ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
front door speaker mod

Nice pictures, those are helpful. Did you put some kind of spacer behind the adapter bracket? In the pictures it looks like foam but i'm confused because it also isn't compressed down at all... Thanks for your help

·
Registered
104 Posts
it never ends

my 6.5 speaker fit alright in their 4x6in homes, a lil cozy, but alright. What made it a little tighet fit, but better sound, is dynamat, i put two layers between the speaker mount and the door, and 1 between the speaker and the mount. It has a great new sound: bass, clarity, volume. I need the saem in the back, people swear i have subs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks

I ended up getting them installed before I saw your dynamat sugestion. I used rope caulk to make it air tight which worked really well. Similar effect, with the new ultra lite Kenwood 6.5" speakers in the back the bass is great. No need for subs for me.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
Re: thanks

jammpls said:
I ended up getting them installed before I saw your dynamat sugestion. I used rope caulk to make it air tight which worked really well. Similar effect, with the new ultra lite Kenwood 6.5" speakers in the back the bass is great. No need for subs for me.

Thanks,
Same here.=)
I just installed some new 6.5's in rear as well....WHOA....man what have I been missin'!!!!! Even though I still have the stock head unit, the difference in sound is amazing. There' so much bass coming from back there my girl thaough that put in a sub:eek: . I still haven't put in the 6.5's in front yet, but I will very soon. In fact, I may put some 6.5 midbasses in back to get that real heavy bass without a sub.:monster:

·
Premium Member
4,409 Posts
Has anyone tried to fit a set of rear speaker to the front adapters? Dubm question I'm sure, but for an otherwise stock system, this would be a pretty good upgrade considering how many people probalby have their stock speakers lying around.

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
JustinP10 said:
Has anyone tried to fit a set of rear speaker to the front adapters? Dubm question I'm sure, but for an otherwise stock system, this would be a pretty good upgrade considering how many people probalby have their stock speakers lying around.
Hmmm...there's a thought. :surprised
I can't see why it wouldn't work. But then, there are a few aftermarket speakers that would fit, sound much cleaner and cost a few bucks anyways so it wouldn't long before you feel the urge to put in better speakers.;)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: thanks

MR. RYTE said:

Same here.=)
I just installed some new 6.5's in rear as well....WHOA....man what have I been missin'!!!!! Even though I still have the stock head unit, the difference in sound is amazing. There' so much bass coming from back there my girl thaough that put in a sub:eek: .

What did you put in the back? I'm looking to put some new 6.5s, or 6 3/4s in the back, and what you describe is exactly what I'm looking for, especially since I'd also be running off my head unit. Thx

1 - 20 of 37 Posts